HITT on Treadmill Yes or No ????

ALUISLUGO

Awards
Just read this...

TREADMILL HITT - NO THANKS

It’s only been around a week since I posted up a poll (you can see it on the right side of the site) about where people prefer to do their HIIT, and unfortunately it’s clear already that running on the treadmill the most popular way to train - I say unfortunately because it’s not really the ideal environment to HIIT.

In order to HIIT effectively it is important that your high intensity intervals are explosive, short, bursts of speed and power. On a track or elliptical trainer this poses no problems, you can simply run faster or pedal harder because you are in control of all variables, on a treadmill however you are limited by the rate of the treadmills acceleration and deceleration, aswell as it’s max speed. So often I hear from people saying that have been doing HIIT on a treadmill alternating between 8mph and 2.5mph. THIS IS NOT HIIT. Not only is 8mph too slow for a high intensity interval, but the treadmill cannot go straight from 2.5mph to 8mph and back quickly (and why would they? That would be dangerous).

Treadmills just too slow for HIIT and they also make it too easy to run. They put a spring in your step in order to reduce the impact on joints, and while this is good for your 45 minute low intensity cardio sessions, it’s only going to hinder your ability to get to that high intensity level that is necessary for HIIT.

To top it off, it’s risky business trying to do HIIT on a treadmill. If you slip and fall during a high intensity interval then you might find yourself through the wall behind you. Treadmills are great, they let you run rain, hail or shine and in the comfort of your living room but they don’t belong in your HIIT sessions. Hop on the elliptical or get out on the track and you’ll thank me when your skipping belt notches like college classes.

Fact or Fiction? Please discuss.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just read this...

It’s only been around a week since I posted up a poll (you can see it on the right side of the site) about where people prefer to do their HIIT, and unfortunately it’s clear already that running on the treadmill the most popular way to train - I say unfortunately because it’s not really the ideal environment to HIIT.

In order to HIIT effectively it is important that your high intensity intervals are explosive, short, bursts of speed and power. On a track or elliptical trainer this poses no problems, you can simply run faster or pedal harder because you are in control of all variables, on a treadmill however you are limited by the rate of the treadmills acceleration and deceleration, aswell as it’s max speed. So often I hear from people saying that have been doing HIIT on a treadmill alternating between 8mph and 2.5mph. THIS IS NOT HIIT. Not only is 8mph too slow for a high intensity interval, but the treadmill cannot go straight from 2.5mph to 8mph and back quickly (and why would they? That would be dangerous).

Treadmills just too slow for HIIT and they also make it too easy to run. They put a spring in your step in order to reduce the impact on joints, and while this is good for your 45 minute low intensity cardio sessions, it’s only going to hinder your ability to get to that high intensity level that is necessary for HIIT.

To top it off, it’s risky business trying to do HIIT on a treadmill. If you slip and fall during a high intensity interval then you might find yourself through the wall behind you. Treadmills are great, they let you run rain, hail or shine and in the comfort of your living room but they don’t belong in your HIIT sessions. Hop on the elliptical or get out on the track and you’ll thank me when your skipping belt notches like college classes.

100% agree. However, a good alternative I do is I set the treadmill on Incline 12 and you can run a lot slower while attaining a very high intensity level.

I leave it on Incline 12 throughout the walking portion also. I walk on 3 and run on 6 and with the level 10 Incline, it promotes the intensity I need.

With that said, nothing beats a solid sprint on a field. Its hard to reach maximum output AND stop it "safely" on machine, especially when exhaustion and fatigue kick in.

zbtboy

zbtboy

Anabolic Innovations Rep
Awards
  • Established
Very interesting. I know i always get a better workout when doing it on the treadmill compared to the elliptical. In the end i've found it best to do it on the football field....less impact on the joints and my shins.

Hitstick

Hitstick

Awards
I cant wait for warm weather so i can hit the track and intermural fields again for sprints and HIIT.

ALUISLUGO

Awards
How do you guys do HIIT i.e. sprints on an open field? Looking for number of times, rest period, distance,etc.

klownh8er

Awards
I do 10 100 meter sprints thanks to some stuff I read form Derek Charlebois. Just go all out on the sprint, walk back, rest, and repeat. Simple and easy to remember.

Hitstick

Hitstick

Awards
In an open field i usually go 100 yards then jog 50 yards back, then walk 50 yards. Ill do that about 100 times. Also, if its a soccer field or football field, i like to sprint the lengths, and walk the end lines.

On a track, i like to sprint the straightaways and walk the curves. Ill do that for about 4-5 laps.

They definitely wear you out.

ALUISLUGO

Awards
In an open field i usually go 100 yards then jog 50 yards back, then walk 50 yards. Ill do that about 100 times. Also, if its a soccer field or football field, i like to sprint the lengths, and walk the end lines.

On a track, i like to sprint the straightaways and walk the curves. Ill do that for about 4-5 laps.

They definitely wear you out.
"I'll do that about 100 times" typo?

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
Just read this...

Stupidest thing I've ever read (not really but still pretty dumb). Try doing 12 quarter mile sprints at a sub 6min per mile clip (aill jogging at a 10 minute per mile clip in between) and acceleration/deceleration isn't even an issue. Also,i have been doing HIIT cardio on treadmill for years at all out intensity and have yet to wind up in the wall behind me; if someone is that uncordinated they have serious issues to address.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
who wrote that? funny how he notes the low impact on joints (I disagree) and then advocates elipticals.

ALUISLUGO

Awards
Stupidest thing I've ever read (not really but still pretty dumb). Try doing 12 quarter mile sprints at a sub 6min per mile clip (aill jogging at a 10 minute per mile clip in between) and acceleration/deceleration isn't even an issue. Also,i have been doing HIIT cardio on treadmill for years at all out intensity and have yet to wind up in the wall behind me; if someone is that uncordinated they have serious issues to address.
I am with you. I actually am more concerned with my heart rate while I am on the treadmill and alternating btwn 8mph and 2.5mph seems to do the trick for me as I can go from 144bpm to 180mph.

Condition1

Condition1

Awards
  • Established
It's just plain easier on the treadmill for me. To set a goal, say 6-7 miles. I'd run the first mile a couple notches below a sprint, jog a mile, try 2 miles a few notches below a sprint, jog a mile, then do an intermediate run/jog for the remaining time.

Not saying it's HIIT, but it definately winds you. Sweat a storm if your shirt isn't soaked somethings the matter.

Not something you wanna do everyday, I don't think anything beats decent hills at a sprint.

emioducki

Awards
Heres a program I put together for a treadmill.

5 minutes @6.5-7mph
1 minute @3.3 mph
4 minutes @7-7.5 mph
1 minute @ 3.3mph
3 minutes @ 7.5-8 mph
1 minute @ 3.3
2 minutes @8-8.5 mph
1:30 @3.3
:30 allow for acceleration to 9.5-10mph for a full remaining minute.

=20 minutes

Lately, i've been adding a 10 min walk at the end at a 6-8 degree incline at 3.3mph

That 20 min program BLASTS your vo2 max and if i do it 3x a week, i usually drop about 10 lbs in 4 weeks. I do it fasted first thing in the morning. If anyone tries it, pm me and let me know what you think!!!

firefighter2032

firefighter2032

Awards
  • Established
Just my 2 cents...

If you are worried about the acceleration/decceleration factor...why not set the treadmill to what speed you want to sprint at...sprint your distance/time...jump off...walk in circles or around your workout area for the time and then jump back on and sprint again?

I do my HIIT on my treadmill and on my elliptical, I do 1.5 min walking and 30 seconds sprinting.