Consuming 2g/lb+ of Protein

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
Is it ok to consume 2-3g per lb of weight of protein when dieting? or should i cut off at 2g?

H

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
I don't think your body is going to utilize that much protein, and will in turn use it for fuel. I would cut it off at 2g/lb (I would probably be around 1.5 actually). Just IMO. I think I better idea would be to utilize those calories by bringing in additional CHO and fats to keep the body churning strong.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
over 1g/lb is kind of a waste in my opinion. a lb of muscle is made of 160g of protein. i dont have many days where I manage to gain a lb of lean mass.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
over 1g/lb is kind of a waste in my opinion. a lb of muscle is made of 160g of protein. i dont have many days where I manage to gain a lb of lean mass.
In order to gain lean mass your body needs excess protein, a lot of it at that. When cutting I take in more protein since my carbs have been cut and fats. 2g/lbs for a large person is very difficult to take in ED, I take in roughly 375-425 ED and I weigh 250 so I think thats reasonable. Half of that protein comes from shakes, cause eating whole food is not only expensive but a major pain in the ass. But this subject is so subjective that there will never be a set answer. I just know from trial and error I need a lot of protein to grow. When I bulk I go through a 5lb tub of protein in under 2 weeks. I am enjoying dieting right now, less stress to keep my stomach full lol.