HIIT - best Method?

sameerkhan51

sameerkhan51

Awards
hi,
I run on treadmills almost 3-5 days a week right after my weight training. I have heard about HIIT... But i am not very clear in here.. Can you guys help me understand it better..
Sprints(running fast?).. Low intensity (walking?)

i do 15 mins of treadmills after my weight training and about twice a week i only do treadmills for about 40 mins each day..
I would like to know the best way that will work the most to burn the fat but keep the Muscles.
Thnx

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
i do it 2x a week on low/no carb days. I do the following

2 min warmup
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
30 sec sprint
1 min walk/jog
2 min cool down

BTW I am 187.8 @ 11% bodyfat now (Avatar is from Nov 07)

Last edited:

Highlanda01602

Awards
  • Established
Doug nailed it - it becoms pretty simple after the first time you do one. Here's another idea to throw into the mix -

Set the treadmill to a considerably steep incline (say 7.0), and set it to about your 1.5 mile estimated race time on a flat surface.

20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, repeated 5-10x.

When your "off", step off onto the sides of the tread for those 10 seconds. Be very careful the first few times, as you don't want to fall off of course. Be very strict with time, and if you have a partner, have him time you. Short workout, but destroys people! Good stuff.

And with all high intensity running, a proper warmup jog/brisk walk and stretching should be done before and after the actual work. Very important to do this with sprinting - never skip it.

sameerkhan51

sameerkhan51

Awards
Thx guys... i will do it from tommorow :blink:

cabrar

Awards
Doug nailed it - it becoms pretty simple after the first time you do one. Here's another idea to throw into the mix -

Set the treadmill to a considerably steep incline (say 7.0), and set it to about your 1.5 mile estimated race time on a flat surface.

20 seconds on, 10 seconds off, repeated 5-10x.

When your "off", step off onto the sides of the tread for those 10 seconds. Be very careful the first few times, as you don't want to fall off of course. Be very strict with time, and if you have a partner, have him time you. Short workout, but destroys people! Good stuff.

And with all high intensity running, a proper warmup jog/brisk walk and stretching should be done before and after the actual work. Very important to do this with sprinting - never skip it.
Its amazing what HIIT can do. What doug said is exactly what I try to follow...but my warmup is around 10 mnts(as I am a big guy). After 30 minutes I feel like a new person...sweat like a pig but I get ton of energy.
And yes: on no carb days...ITS BETTER

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
I find HIIT difficult on the treadmill, idk how to figure out my pace, seems like such a pain to increase the seed then drop it down again, usually i perform it outside on a grassy field

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find HIIT difficult on the treadmill, idk how to figure out my pace, seems like such a pain to increase the seed then drop it down again, usually i perform it outside on a grassy field
Outside on a grassy field indeed.