Is 6 sets for a large muscle too little? or would i need to do more sets?

1. Banned

Is 8 sets for a large muscle too little? or would i need to do more sets?

Hello all, I am trying to lose weight, while maintaining muscle-strength, but I would like to know if 8 sets for large muscles is enough or would i need to do more sets per bodyparts?

My routine is like this:

Bench press: 15-10-3-3
    Incline press: 6-3
    Dumbell flyes for chest: 10-10

Back
    Back machine pulldown: 15-15-15-15-15-15-15-15

Shoulder:

Shoulder military press: 8-8-8-8-8-8
    Shoulder press: 8-8

Legs: Running and joggin and walking (45 minutes, 5 days a week)

Note: i don't do biceps and triceps because my arms are big enough for my chest and back

warvictim

2. Registered User

I'm a little confused. You want to know if 6 sets is too little for a major muscle group? But you're doing 8 sets per major muscle group. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.
  3. Banned

Well i meant to say if 8 sets is enough, not 6

Hi, made a mistake. Right now i am doing 8 sets per big muscle group, not 6. So my question is, if 8 sets is enough for a large bodypart, or would i need to do 10 sets or 12 sets per large bodypart? I just would like to know if it's ok to keep training by doing 8 sets per large boydypart and still lose weight and definition

warvictim

Quote Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
    I'm a little confused. You want to know if 6 sets is too little for a major muscle group? But you're doing 8 sets per major muscle group. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.
    •   

4. Registered User

Everyone is different. There is no set rule to how many sets.

How do you feel? Listen to your body. If you think you need to do more, do more. If you think you are doing to many, back off.

Throughout my weightlifting career, I've done so many different routines. I benefited from all of them. Then if I felt I was getting used to it, I'd change it up. Keep the body shocked.

For instance, right now my routine is 5 days a week, 1 muscle group a day (Mon-Chest, Tues-Back, Wed-Legs, Thurs-Shoulders/Traps, Fri-Arms). Each muscle group, I am doing 12-16 sets.
  5. Banned

Wow, that's pretty good, so u actually do 1 muscle group a week? giving your muscle-groups to recuperate 6 days? I think i will try that, since i need to increase my strength.

warvictim

Quote Originally Posted by KingMeso View Post
    Everyone is different. There is no set rule to how many sets.

How do you feel? Listen to your body. If you think you need to do more, do more. If you think you are doing to many, back off.

Throughout my weightlifting career, I've done so many different routines. I benefited from all of them. Then if I felt I was getting used to it, I'd change it up. Keep the body shocked.

For instance, right now my routine is 5 days a week, 1 muscle group a day (Mon-Chest, Tues-Back, Wed-Legs, Thurs-Shoulders/Traps, Fri-Arms). Each muscle group, I am doing 12-16 sets.
  6. Registered User

3-6 sets per exercise, 3-4 exercises per muscle group, 6-12 reps for growth.
  7. Gold Member
    Stats
    6'2"  195 lbs.

if you're doing 6-8 set per part - and wondering if you're doing enough work - chances are you need to increase your weight, not your sets.

You'd be well-served to rethink your reps, too, and I suspect that moderating your tempo and being extra-attentive to form will make quite a difference for you, too.
  8. Registered User

Im really suprised that you are not doing any legs and only one exercise for the back.

If you want to lose weight hit the muscle that hold the most glycogen, which are the back and legs. Do moderate rep, 2-1-1 count for 6 sets at a lower than normal range. Add some plyo's, those are kicking my a$$ right now.

Doing some rows for your back and adding some hyperextensions is a good depletion exercise also.

Of course take this with a grain of salt, coming from the guy who can't drop weight. Ha

Also just some wisdom, if you are doing lat pull downs for 8 sets at 15 reps a piece you are probably crossing the barrier into catabolism. Your causing a lot of trauma and your body will produce cortisol to breakdown the protein for gluconeogenesis. (since your glycogen will be long gone in your back after your 4-5 set at 15 reps.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
  2. Need to gain more muscle
    By cg123 in forum Supplements
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-22-2011, 12:13 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 09:39 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 04:42 PM