So Fat good lighting don't help anymore!! Help

ZDawg

Awards
I am a fat ass.... I admit that. I will say I have went from 5'11 330 lbs to 260 on the last 6-8 months by cleaning up my diet and hitting the gym doing heavy workouts...but I have stalled. Others say they see a dramatic difference but who knows. You know when you walk around the house flexing in good lighting to try and stay motivated something is wrong.....or is it normal.

I do not want to sound stupid, and what I am about to say sounds about as stupid as the scrawny guy who says he does not want to take protein powder cause he does not want to look like Jay Cutler....but I really do not wanna be a small guy. I want to lost fat but gain or at least not lose muscle. I could probably just quit eating and lose fat...im kinda all or nothing...but I have friends that did that and now they cant even lift thier lawnmowers into the back of a truck.

I went low carb for months and that helped by can't seem to stick to it...still failrly clean diet with occasional slips but its hard getting 260 grams plus of clean protein a day.

Anyway......Looking for a good weight loss supplement to help get me over the hump here. I have just about given up on losing the fat and decided to keep trying to gain muscle and just be a big fat ass..........then I see a post of a guy struggling to gain a pound and can''t figure who has it worse.

any ideas....support..ass kicken you guys can offer would be great. This week I just feel like tossin in the towel....no idea why...never really posted for help before but alittle conserned that after reading an hour or two of post I still feel ......dazed and unmotivated...

Anyone in my situation that can help// I have don a ton of research, kinda know what works but but I guess it is more ... I dunno...bad day I guess...is depression for real or does everyone trying to lose weight feel like giving up every now and then....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
everyone feels like giving up now and then :) How long have you been stalled for?

ZDawg

Awards
everyone feels like giving up now and then :) How long have you been stalled for?
up a down for a few a few weeks at least...Sorry about the Whining above...not sure what happened...

The main thing is I took some pictures and I guess I had it in my mind I was a lot better off than I really was. The pics don't lie...I got so far to go the light at the end of the tunnel is a pin prick. 8 months ago it was an abyss Im sure.

It is just tough.... For months I have been seeing improvements in definition and sizes but all of the sudden I was looking at myself through different eyes....

Current measurements to put it in perspective are

weight 260lbs 5'10 ish

waist 48.5
forearm 12.75
hips 46.25
legs 24
calves 17.5
bicept 16.5
chest 50

Supplements include creatine(I know a little water weight but the energy and workouts are noticeably better) for a bout 2 months or less....., multi,fishoil,green tea and just started ZMA a few days ago....someone gave me hydroxycut hardcore and stacker 3's but have not taken them....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well, so long as you aren't crazy about timelines, you surely can do it. Its a marathon, not a sprint. There were 2 times I got caught bad in "I'm ready to give up", once when I got my bodyfat measured in a bodpod and it was 8% higher than I thought it was, and then again when i got blood test results showing how low my testosterone was and how high my estrogen is. But both of those incidents just meant "it might take longer" not it won't happen.

2 weeks in a stall is long enough. You do have a long way to go, even if you are a large framed 5'10, 180-190 is still big. How big is your wrist at its widest point? if you grab one wrist and try to have your middle finger and thumb touch, do they not make it, just touch, or overlap each other.

ZDawg

Awards
well, so long as you aren't crazy about timelines, you surely can do it. Its a marathon, not a sprint. There were 2 times I got caught bad in "I'm ready to give up", once when I got my bodyfat measured in a bodpod and it was 8% higher than I thought it was, and then again when i got blood test results showing how low my testosterone was and how high my estrogen is. But both of those incidents just meant "it might take longer" not it won't happen.

2 weeks in a stall is long enough. You do have a long way to go, even if you are a large framed 5'10, 180-190 is still big. How big is your wrist at its widest point? if you grab one wrist and try to have your middle finger and thumb touch, do they not make it, just touch, or overlap each other.
wrist is 7 inches..... they dont touch by about 1/4 inch or so.

It is good to know I am not the only one who feels like quitting but still knows I should(and deep down wants) to keep going and see where the progress will take me.

I do feel better after a few hours of sleep...though I am going to try and get at least 7 or 8 hours from now on. I think getting 5-6 has been a little of my "mood" problems. Hopefully ZMA will help.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
Try doing something that shocks the muscle. Not just an everyday routine. I have been there myself. now i change my routines quiet often muscle confusion to keep buring the fat and melting the weight off. I dont consider it a diet, its a life change for all of us. If you only new how many time i have wanted to sit home and do nothing, chill out and throw the towel in, but as soon as i get to the gym i get excited and hit it even harder. MUSCLE CONFUSION BRO. try it out, it works.... good lck in your ventures and like EASY said "its a marathon , not a sprint"

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
for sure, I find that I have to change my routine every 6-12 weeks, or else progress overall stops.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Getting good sleep definitley helps, its very hard to make it to the gym when you are tired.

Get in enough protein, do maybe 30 min of cardio 4 days a week. Hit the weights before cardio and keep a clean diet. It will all come in time.

Post a log here, we are all good at helping to motivate!

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
what do you think is your BIGGEST obstacle right now?

diet? trianing? willpower?

looks like you know WHAT to do and HOW to do it. lets help you get the trian back on track!

never fear, i was 42.5 inch waist in 2005 after a ACL replacement. I am now to a 36.25 inch waist at 5'10"

IT TAKES TIME! but, that is what we are here for.

ZDawg

Awards
what do you think is your BIGGEST obstacle right now?

diet? trianing? willpower?

looks like you know WHAT to do and HOW to do it. lets help you get the trian back on track!

never fear, i was 42.5 inch waist in 2005 after a ACL replacement. I am now to a 36.25 inch waist at 5'10"

IT TAKES TIME! but, that is what we are here for.
I dunno.... I guess changing my goals form getting active and healthy to actually getting definition and getting rid of the large amount of fat has taken me out of the "doin great' mode to the "its damn near impossible" mode again,. My mind knows one day at a time.....but that little guy on my shoulder who likes pizza and beer and late night tv is using a damn megaphone right now!

I think If I can get the fat loss going again by maybe actually doing some cardio Ill get back in the right mind set....but I hate cardio.....it was good 6 months ago cause a heavy weight few rep workout was also cardio :twisted: Now I think I might actually have to hit the up arrow on the treadmill.......... I am trying to rationalize cardio causes muscle loss but........well.....it causes more ass loss .........

Also might give the hydroxycut hardcore a go....not for a way around the obstacle of fat loss...but maybe all i need is a copilot for a few weeks.

ZDawg

Awards
for sure, I find that I have to change my routine every 6-12 weeks, or else progress overall stops.
You and GymRat5972 are probably right. I recently started the Rippetoe 3x5 workout and it is kicking my tail muscle wise but not sure if its doing the trick fat loss wise. do this m-w-f....maybe add c...ca....card....cardio (there I said it again) in there a few days a week.

Probably need to get serious about calorie counting now...its possible that going down from 330 lbs to 260 I have not adjusted(down) my caloric intake enough to stay with the fat loss.
I know 260+ clean protein calories seem tough...even with several protein shakes a day.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
leviathan reloaded works great for me to cut cravings.

you might also look into the anabolic diet, as it allows you weekend binges/carb loads (which could include pizza, wings, lasagna, beer, etc.....)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you can do weights as cardio, its just a different style of workout. remember that cardio is about reaching and maintaining a heart rate, not what you do to get there. so doing high speed clean and jerks with a 20lb barbell works. you can shoot for 100 reps, so the low weight will still cause muscle growth. Plenty of others, burpees are a good one :) http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Prison-Workout---A-Total-Body-Exercise-Routine&id=563138

just get your heart rate over 130, and keep it there. Don't go higher than 160ish for the first while as you build better cardio conditioning in general.

I'm about 5 9.5, was at 245 last january, around 197 now. Hit a low of 189 a few weeks back but when I changed supplementation it popped back up FAST (I hit 201 in 8 days, and not eating over mainteanance calories). I've put a bit of cardio in, it makes a difference. Particularly just in "life stuff". I can now much more easily chase down one of my dogs if they escape the yard, and not be wheezing by the time I do. I can play with my kids and not be worn out that much before they are :)

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
another thing is GBC (German Body Composition) I am starting it now and easy has done it in the past. It is geared towards fatloss without cardio. Although, you really need to get over your fear/hatred of cardio. It is a necessary evil!

ZDawg

Awards
leviathan reloaded works great for me to cut cravings.

you might also look into the anabolic diet, as it allows you weekend binges/carb loads (which could include pizza, wings, lasagna, beer, etc.....)
Will look into the anabolic diet. The carb load days sound fun and would probably help out my Monday workouts...i had good energy on low carb until i needed to really get up and going..then it seemed to fade fast. But everyday walk around energy was probably higher on low carb than when not. Probably because I did not get an sugar highs and lows .

Also I use muscle Milk as one of my protein sources...I swear by its fat cutting abilities...but it has carbs...a fair amount per protein Kcal. Mixing it with ProNos scoop for scoop now but would have to get rid of it during the week on low carb. It is a good whey/casein mix.

Off to eat a chicken fajita(low carb)...only 200 more grams of protein to go today:whiner:

ZDawg

Awards
Getting good sleep definitley helps, its very hard to make it to the gym when you are tired.

Get in enough protein, do maybe 30 min of cardio 4 days a week. Hit the weights before cardio and keep a clean diet. It will all come in time.

Post a log here, we are all good at helping to motivate!
would I just make a thread and call it my weight loss log in this forum...or what. I would enjoy the accountability and support. Plus might as well get all my rantig on one spot :type::rant:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
muscle milk regular is not a good choice of shakes if you are trying to loose weight. Regardless of the cool graphs on the side, its just got too many calories in it. it probably wouldn't hurt to use fitday.com to log a few days of your eating to look at real calorie intake

JDF

Awards
  • Established
I just got done reading the Metabolic Diet and actually just started my first log.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplement-reviews-logs/84554-starting-metabolic-diet.html

Im only on the 3rd day but I have high hopes ( since im an endo ) of losing all the weight I put on from beer and hot pockets in college!!

I picked the book up off of amazon.com for like 50 bucks. The book comes with a number of sample diets and Dr. Di Pasquale really tries to keep you motivated throughout the book. I would suggest giving it a read and possibly a try.

Congrats on the weight drop and dont get down on yourself bro, I've only recently started to drop weight again after struggling for like 3 months to move down. Im a bigger guy naturally as well ( not in the good way :burg: ) and my body responds pretty well to high weight/low reps, I have noticed that I dropped weight and still kept size with this type of routine.

GymRat5972

GymRat5972

Awards
I changed my life a while back.
Man make your foods fun like i did. Eggs white and grilled chicken breast and add like 6 oz of brown rice a little asian sauce and there you have it. Make enough for a day or so. I eat every 3 to 4 hrs. You can get alot of good ideas from this site and others too. For cardio, mix it up. i hit the bag for 30 min= 3 min sparing and kicks 1 min jump rope, 30 min like that.... then hit the treadmill for 15 min= walk half lap sprint half lap. 10 min on the eliptical 2 min fast 1 min normal for 10 min.... change it up make you heart rate get up and stay up

ZDawg

Awards
muscle milk regular is not a good choice of shakes if you are trying to loose weight. Regardless of the cool graphs on the side, its just got too many calories in it. it probably wouldn't hurt to use fitday.com to log a few days of your eating to look at real calorie intake
I started it back when i was 330 lbs and the calorie intake was 350 kcal. That was almost 1/9th of my daily intake per shake...so as a meal replacement it was pretty good

They actually have leaned it out to 300 kcal with about half of the cals from protein. Even now on 2300 cals divided into 6 meals the shakes equal less than 1/6ths total daily cals. There is some fat in there and carbs but they did not seem to affect weight loss at all . Maybe now that I am less weight I did trade a scoop of MM for a different protein that gives me 21 grams of protein per scoop and less fat. So a shake looks like this

1 scoop Muscle Milk whey casein mix and scoop MRI

kcal=295
fat-10g
sat fat 4.5g
carbs-17g
fiber-5g
sugar 5.5g
protien 37g

thats 52% protein,31%fat(mostly good fats) and only 17%carbs....with a good bit of amino acids

taste= awsome

cool graph on the side :study: lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
kcal=295
fat-10g
sat fat 4.5g
carbs-17g
fiber-5g
sugar 5.5g
protien 37g

thats 52% protein,31%fat(mostly good fats) and only 17%carbs....with a good bit of amino acids

taste= awsome

cool graph on the side :study: lol
23% carbs :) I did the math.

Yeah, its not all bad, and I keep muscle milk light around all the time :) but when you are trying to drop weight, every calorie should count. So you can do meal replacement shakes at 150~180 cal all protein with some healthy fats and fiber added instead, and keep the carbs to just around workouts. They do make good flavors though. Thats the thing that really is hardest, is that it is all the little bits and pieces that make up your whole day.

Someone was asking if Charles Waterbury's 10/10 transformation worked. (loose 10lbs of fat while gaining 10lbs of muscle). Sure it does, if you actually follow all the bits and pieces of it.

Have you been regularly re-evaluating your calorie targets as you've lost weight? maintenance should be a bit lower now than it was at your peak

ZDawg

Awards
23% carbs :) I did the math.

Yeah, its not all bad, and I keep muscle milk light around all the time :) but when you are trying to drop weight, every calorie should count. So you can do meal replacement shakes at 150~180 cal all protein with some healthy fats and fiber added instead, and keep the carbs to just around workouts. They do make good flavors though. Thats the thing that really is hardest, is that it is all the little bits and pieces that make up your whole day.

Someone was asking if Charles Waterbury's 10/10 transformation worked. (loose 10lbs of fat while gaining 10lbs of muscle). Sure it does, if you actually follow all the bits and pieces of it.

23% doh...trusted fitday!!! :twisted:

Have you been regularly re-evaluating your calorie targets as you've lost weight? maintenance should be a bit lower now than it was at your peak
I think that is part of the problem......i was on a good schedule meal plan when i started and did not modify it enough when I went down in lbs. Ill log everything for a few days.

macedaddy

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
you might as well just continue to log in this thread. you got our attention! :thumbsup:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i just realized you never said how old you are...

anyhow for laughs I threw your stats into a calculator, and there is between 400-500 calories a day difference in BMR from 260lbs to 330. So it would make sense if your overall calories have stayed the same loss would gradually slow.

Thats part of why I have taken short phases where I just maintened or even gained a few lbs back happily, as in those spans i'm still adding muscle. The first round of that I did add more fat too, but i've worked out the kinks now :) right now at 196ish I look significantly different than when I was at 196 in september.

ZDawg

Awards
i just realized you never said how old you are...

anyhow for laughs I threw your stats into a calculator, and there is between 400-500 calories a day difference in BMR from 260lbs to 330. So it would make sense if your overall calories have stayed the same loss would gradually slow.

Thats part of why I have taken short phases where I just maintened or even gained a few lbs back happily, as in those spans i'm still adding muscle. The first round of that I did add more fat too, but i've worked out the kinks now :) right now at 196ish I look significantly different than when I was at 196 in september.
I'm 35.....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ah so you are also reaching the declining testosterone point. That makes it all harder, particularly when you add in that the more fat tissue you have the more aromatase you have so the more estrogen you have (making it harder to get rid of the fat). Its just great. :( Yeah, definitely cut the calories some more :D

ZDawg

Awards
ah so you are also reaching the declining testosterone point. That makes it all harder, particularly when you add in that the more fat tissue you have the more aromatase you have so the more estrogen you have (making it harder to get rid of the fat). Its just great. :( Yeah, definitely cut the calories some more :D
Yeah....this is what i feel like some days :frustrate

Going to start a log here...you guys will hopefully critique it and gimme some advice as you see fit.

Train4Life

Awards
EvoPro is Muscle milks low carb, low cal, low fat sister.
140 cal
25 from fat
3g fat
2g carbs
1g Fiber
0g Sugar
26g Protein
I think it tastes almost as good as muscle milk

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Try going 12 x bodyweight in calories and adjust from there.

ZDawg

Awards
Just Starting a journal.

Probably not the best day as I just ate a damn cookie, but all the more reason.

Did my 3rd workout for the week today...M-W-F

Supplement are creatine, fish oil, hydroxycut hardcore, multi

all workouts start on the treadmill a few mins to warm up then a warm up set or two at 50-70% weight depending on exercise.

Squat
3x5@250

Military Press
2x5@125(failure :wtf: )
1x5@110
1x5@115

Row
3x5@170

Forearm barbell curl
3x8@60

I know those numbers suck but it is an improvement for me and I am trying to maintain strength while losing fat.

as of 1/25/08 when I started this workout I was @ 263 lbs Had stalled a this weight since 11/03/07 through all the holidays.

This was my results for this workout on 1/25/08

squat

2x5@230(but not going parallel..was cheating so I lowered the weight the nest few workouts to get good form))
1x5@220

Military Press
3x5@105

Rows
3x5@150

Also down to 255 ....thats only eight pounds but I think I am back on track.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
If you play your cards right and take advantage of the extra muscle you were carying when you weighed more... you could potentially retain a good bit of it, and come out on the muscular side when you are leaner.

Don't cut your cals too far below maintenance.

There is a formula that suggest that maximum number of calories you can go below maintenance without losing LBM is 31 X LB's of fat. So if you carry 80 lb's of bodyfat, you can cut roughly 31 x 80, or 2480 below maintenance. So if your maintenance was 4000 cals a day, you could eat around 1500 and be safe. But every now and then you have to increase cals to ensure your metabolism stays elevated and doesn't go into starvation mode. To check this, take your temperature every morning. Every degree below 98.6, means your metabolism is depressed by 10%. So if you're maintenance is 4000 cals, and your temp drops a degree, that means your mainetnance just went down to 3600.

There are more variables, and in the end you have to play with the numbers. Such is life.

ZDawg

Awards
If you play your cards right and take advantage of the extra muscle you were carying when you weighed more... you could potentially retain a good bit of it, and come out on the muscular side when you are leaner.

Don't cut your cals too far below maintenance.

There is a formula that suggest that maximum number of calories you can go below maintenance without losing LBM is 31 X LB's of fat. So if you carry 80 lb's of bodyfat, you can cut roughly 31 x 80, or 2480 below maintenance. So if your maintenance was 4000 cals a day, you could eat around 1500 and be safe. But every now and then you have to increase cals to ensure your metabolism stays elevated and doesn't go into starvation mode. To check this, take your temperature every morning. Every degree below 98.6, means your metabolism is depressed by 10%. So if you're maintenance is 4000 cals, and your temp drops a degree, that means your mainetnance just went down to 3600.

There are more variables, and in the end you have to play with the numbers. Such is life.
I Think maintenance is close to 3000 Kcal. maybe alittle more on workout days. I can intake that many on low carb or a tad more and still lose fat but if I take in 100 grams of carbs or more a day I have to be around 2100 a day to lose at a decent rate....and at 2k I feel tired.

Train4Life

Awards
Just Starting a journal.

Probably not the best day as I just ate a damn cookie, but all the more reason.

Did my 3rd workout for the week today...M-W-F

Supplement are creatine, fish oil, hydroxycut hardcore, multi

all workouts start on the treadmill a few mins to warm up then a warm up set or two at 50-70% weight depending on exercise.

Squat
3x5@250

Military Press
2x5@125(failure :wtf: )
1x5@110
1x5@115

Row
3x5@170

Forearm barbell curl
3x8@60

I know those numbers suck but it is an improvement for me and I am trying to maintain strength while losing fat.

as of 1/25/08 when I started this workout I was @ 263 lbs Had stalled a this weight since 11/03/07 through all the holidays.

This was my results for this workout on 1/25/08

squat

2x5@230(but not going parallel..was cheating so I lowered the weight the nest few workouts to get good form))
1x5@220

Military Press
3x5@105

Rows
3x5@150

Also down to 255 ....thats only eight pounds but I think I am back on track.

8 lbs in roughly 2 weeks, that's a ton. Keep up the hard work

ZDawg

Awards
Mondays Workout

Squat-

3x5@250

Bench
3x5@175 (right arm was hurting at the joint...took pounds off to get full reps)

Deadlift- 1x3@315

Dips (I have been lowering the amnt of assist I use every workout.)
1x10(assisted Pin#8 on cybex...40 lbs i think)
1x8(assisted