<TR>
    <TD>National Post</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <DIV class=storydate>
    Tuesday, August 12, 2003</DIV>
    <DIV class=storytext>
    <TABLE width=5 align=right border=0 hspace="10" vspace="0">
    <TBODY>
    <TR>
    <TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Deaths, crime, smoking, binge drinking and pregnancies are all down among American children, according to a just-released federal report. But the celebration was muted because it also showed most American kids will soon outweigh a medium-sized walrus.

As one Canadian wire story put it, U.S. children are becoming, "Well-behaved little butterballs." Even blind people have been able to observe this girth growth; what used to be the pitter-patter of little feet has become more of a rumble.

But don't even think about smirking, because the trend is even worse in Canada.

Since 1980, the number of obese U.S. children ballooned by 2 1/2 times, according to the Report on America's Children, produced by two U.S. federal agencies. Fifteen per cent of Americans aged six to 18 are obese, compared with merely 6% in 1980.

Incidentally, "obese" doesn't mean simply overweight; in technical terms it means "downright fat."

And here, as in the United States, childhood obesity rates are exploding -- albeit with a larger blast radius. Between 1981 and 1996, obesity in Canuck boys aged 7-13 increased almost 400%! True, Canadian kids were still thinner than their American counterparts -- then. But remember that the U.S. data continues to 2001.

God only knows what's been happening in Canada in those last five years. But as the University of Saskatchewan's Mark Tremblay, lead author of the April 2002 issue of the International Journal of Obesity in which those numbers appeared, says, it's "frightening."

Using "overweight" as a measure, a study in the May 2003 issue of the same journal found that British Columbia's increase was more than 500% over those 15 years, while Newfoundland takes the dubious prize for most overweight kids at over a third of its population. Canadian male children ages 7-8 are more than four times likely to be overweight as their English counterparts and five times more so than their Scottish peers.

People, this is child abuse. Studies show that fat children (beyond about the age of two) are far more likely to grow up to be fat adults. And fat adults have a far greater likelihood of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer, arthritis and an amazing array of other diseases.

Childhood diabetes from obesity has become so common that "adult-onset diabetes" has dropped out of use, replaced with the term "type-2."

What's to blame for this? Maybe that should be changed to "whom?" Is it the fault of a three-year-old; or more likely that of her 33-year-old parents?

Children eat more junk than ever, more food in general, watch more TV, play more video games, and do fewer outdoor activities. Most of this happens right at home.

Parents don't need an Idiot's Guide to understand how to change this. They need to make sure the children eat better, limit TV and video game time and go out and play with the neighbours' kids.

Perhaps more importantly, they need to set a good example. It's hard (and unfair) to tell your kids to flip off Captain Planet when they see you watching back-to-back episodes of Seinfeld five days a week.

And don't think your kids don't notice what you're eating, how much you exercise or how fat you yourself are -- or that it's not important.

In 2001, more than one-fifth of American adults (44 million) were obese according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a 74% leap since 1991. The Canadian adult population appears to be fattening at a similar rate, although again the 1996 cut-off prevents a direct comparison. Obesity increased 55% among Canadian men and 50% among Canadian women from 1981 to 1996.

Now consider that parental obesity more than doubles the risk of adult obesity as well as the chance that their children under 10 will be overweight, as the New England Journal of Medicine reported in 1997. Genetics may play a role, but as the study's lead author pointed out, "Our genes aren't changing that fast. Instead, children imitate their parents' eating and exercise habits."

Health Canada makes the same observation, noting in one of its studies, "Children say that parents are their most important source of information and influence for healthy eating."

So no: "Do as I say; not as I do."

Schools also deserve blame. Mention the letters "PE" to a child these days and he'll think you're talking about using the bathroom. Blaming budget cuts, schools are banishing PE so quickly that it will soon appear only in history books.

But parents can demand that schools bring back formal exercise, as well as influence the lunch menus and limit access to junk food.

Tremblay and his co-authors also declare, "The obesity epidemic will not subside any time in the near future unless aggressive public health campaigns against obesity are implemented widely and quickly."

But there will never be a substitute for personal responsibility, regarding obesity or anything else. For a child, there will never be a substitute for a caring, attentive parent who's willing to endure occasional whining, weeping eyes, a tantrum -- or even the ultimate guilt-trip trick, "But all the other kids' parents let them do it!"

Yes, and many will suffer and die because of it.</DIV>

2. New Member

I, personally blame McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, White Castle, and any other fast food joint that has been in our daily lives. With the addition of transaturated fats in everything we eat and how everything is processed, I'm surprised society in general is not FATTER. Plus the addition of video game consules, computers and lack of sports, it just all adds up
  3. New Member

It's just plain laziness. It may seem "normal" to be overweight and ok, but in 20 years when most people are fat and hurting our health care will be f@cked cause of these fat people wanting help.

And those who get fat to go on comp! That is just retarted, if you are going to pay a person who got fat to stop going to work, make that fat f@ck get a trainer and lose weight or else they won't be getting paid.
    •   

4. New Member

Originally posted by sawastea
    I, personally blame McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, Arby's, White Castle, and any other fast food joint that has been in our daily lives. With the addition of transaturated fats in everything we eat and how everything is processed, I'm surprised society in general is not FATTER. Plus the addition of video game consules, computers and lack of sports, it just all adds up
    Most of these have been around for all of our lives yet only recently have these trends begun to develop. The authors of the study were correct...parents are really to blame because kids learn their behaviors from their parents.

If mom and dad dont gorge themselves on micky d's, littly johnny or susie wont either.
  5. New Member

A big problem in Ontario is that teachers, have opted out from after school activities, with work to rule.&nbsp; The amount of after school sports has declined if the government was serious about, health issues they would make the lunch hour longer and fource students to participate in some form of physical exercise.&nbsp; I went to a private school and all students had to do sports, if you did not make a team you had to do house league sports everyday after school for an hour and a half.
  6. New Member

Does everyone hate fat people. j.k. The truth is in schools they don't focus on physical fitness as much as they should. What ever happen to recess. kids probably have P.E. twice a week when they should have it everyday. Plus the parents should focus on heathy eating and try home cooking instead of bringing something home. It is a big problem but what can you do. It is just going to spread and we'll have a nation of overweight people. i don't think we can blame mcdonalds or anyother fast food joint. they are just doing business. It's just like blaming tobacco companies for smoking and getting cancer. We need to have programs in place to help deal with the situation. later
  7. Jcc

Unfortunately, some people just don't see it as a problem. They end up accepting it for some reason. Going out for pizza and beer every night and wondering why I skip it most of the time.

We must just be a different breed.
  8. Professional Member

Keep eating people It will just make us buff studs look that much better Yes I am an insensitive prick and I like it.

Seriously though it's a problem and the parents are the blame. It's good ol laziness and lack of physical education. It's not the fact that they go to mc'd's and eat, it's the fact that they order the double cheesburger with the super size fries. Schools need to incorporate more health classes with qualified and trained people not the heshe that runs the girls softball team. Hell she's a fat pig too. Get people that know whatsup in there.

And on a side note the more we cater to these bad habits the worse it will be. Later J
  9. New Member

If we are a different breed then will fat people die out and we will rule the earth?
  10. Advanced Member

Originally posted by DarCSA
    If we are a different breed then will fat people die out and we will rule the earth?
    We're mutants baby. X-Men.
  11. New Member

Back at another forum I posted something and someone put it in their signature.

'I'm glad the population is so damn fat. That makes me elite.'

I don't think it's McDick's fault or any other food comany's fault. There is something called personal responsibility. The problem is, companies like Kraft are&nbsp;taking preemptive measures against&nbsp;lawsuits by lowering the quantity of the individual servings&nbsp;of their&nbsp;fatty foods, but of course they're going to keep the price the same. So that means a reasonable person who wants to eat a little junk food once and awhile is going to&nbsp;have to pay more for less. And the fatties will just buy more to compensate for what they've been used to.

Does anybody know what percentage of the population is obese due to genetic defects beyond their control? Because whenever I make fun of a fatty someone will say "they can't help it." and I want to say " well only __% of the population can't help it."
  12. New Member

Originally posted by MadChild
    Back at another forum I posted something and someone put it in their signature.

'I'm glad the population is so damn fat. That makes me elite.'

I don't think it's McDick's fault or any other food comany's fault. There is something called personal responsibility. The problem is, companies like Kraft are&amp;nbsp;taking preemptive measures against&amp;nbsp;lawsuits by lowering the quantity of the individual servings&amp;nbsp;of their&amp;nbsp;fatty foods, but of course they're going to keep the price the same. So that means a reasonable person who wants to eat a little junk food once and awhile is going to&amp;nbsp;have to pay more for less. And the fatties will just buy more to compensate for what they've been used to.

Does anybody know what percentage of the population is obese due to genetic defects beyond their control? Because whenever I make fun of a fatty someone will say &quot;they can't help it.&quot; and I want to say &quot; well only __% of the population can't help it.&quot;
    It's said that you retain the amount of fat in your body that you had before puberty. So if a kid is really REALLY fat before puberty, then even if they diet they will still have that fat that they had when they were a kid.
  13. Professional Member

Originally posted by spike326

It's said that you retain the amount of fat in your body that you had before puberty. So if a kid is really REALLY fat before puberty, then even if they diet they will still have that fat that they had when they were a kid.

Hogwash if you ask me. Later J
  14. Advanced Member

Originally posted by spike326

They will still have the fat CELLS, but they can shrink the size of these cells through diet and exercise.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Chicken - R U sick of it like we are?
    By Viperspit in forum Recipes
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 02:13 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 04:29 PM
  3. Kids are so funny
    By EasyEJL in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-05-2007, 10:45 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 09:26 PM