Mankos Recomping in Japan

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Aloha, a Hawaii boy teaching English in Japan. I have been here for about 2 years and I have put on about 60 lbs. I want to get back in shape and thought that this would be a good way to hold myself accountable. I'm 5'7 225lbs and roughly about 30%. It's been a week on a CKD type diet and I take in about 3000-3500 calories. I have been doing weights 3 days a week and various types of cardio 3 times a week. I'll get some pictures up pretty soon so I can really get this thing going.

Supplements:

Currently using Multi, Flax, Leviathon reloaded , Incarnate, lean xtreme, activate.

Anyhow, I love constructive critiscism and would love any help or suggestions.

Manko Oyaji

Awards
It's been about two weeks on the CKD and I have been super busy with work so sorry for the lack of updates. I do have some pictures to put up but I'm really embarrased about them. I'll suck it up and go ahead and get them up when I get home from work. I really don't know how you find the time to eat or make meals but I must admit I do feel better and I can breathe when I bend over to tie my shoelaces.

I workout 3 days a week Tues ( Chest, Shoulders, triceps), Thursdays( Back, biceps, traps,) , Saturdays ( Legs and Ab work).

Tues:

Bench 315 lbs 5x5
Dumbell Press 120lbs 5x5
Military Press 135lbs 5x5
Overhead Tricep Extensions 120 lbs 4x8-10
Weighted dips 45lbs 3x10

Thursday:
Pullups 2 sets failure
Lat pulldowns 200lbs 3x5
close grip pulldowns 220lbs 4x8
bent over rows 255lbs 3x8
Barbell Shrugs 405 4x12
barbell curls 110 3x8

Saturday:
Squats 315lbs 2x8 365lbs 2x6
Leg extensions 200lbs 4x10-12
Leg curls 140lbs 4x10-12
Calf raises 4x15

Sorry about the poundages they are estimates as we use kilos in Japan. Our gym is pretty primitive but it is what I have to work with. I hate being fat so this journal holding me accountable is a good thing.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
2 quick comments.

1. Nice benching. That's quite strong. The only thing is your overhead pressing is rather weak in comparison...I'd work to get a long stronger in this so you're more balanced at the shoulders.

2. Fish oil!! You need your EFAs. This is the most essential supplement you can take. Flax is no substitute.

Good luck man and work hard!

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Neil5585 thanks for the advice. I"ll do my best to get those back in line. I'm posting pictures from when I first started lifting again starting from 8/27 and the second is 11/30. Not much progress as why I have come here for help. I will be posting my diet and a current pic today when I get back from the gym. I'm getting ready to go as we speak.

again sorry about the gross pictures but I need to get to where I'm not just a fat guy.

Aug 27 192lbs

Nov 30 205lbs

Jan 30 220lbs

Last edited:

808raoul

Awards
Hello Manko-

Hello from Middle St. - Kalihi! (where I'm working)

You progress is good. Don't be worried. I find that it's how you feel everyday that's most important. Don't worry about your gym being primitive. All you need is the basics.

Couple Questions: I wanted to know how much protein you get in a day? How long are your cardio sessions?

Peace - Ross

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Aloha , I miss Kalihi and Kaimuki. Damn I just miss Oahu. But I love life here as well.

I get around 200 grams of protein a day depending on what my calorie needs are. I'm trying to cycle my calories but I'm taking a little time to dial it in. My cardio program is pretty basic I run for 30 minutes on Monday and Friday and do a HIIT Cardio session on Wed. I'll post my diet from here on out I'm just need to get on fitday. Thanks for the help. How do you guys do this consistent log. I really admire the great logges now.

808raoul

Awards
Hello Manko-

Your protein intake is pretty good. People say to keep protein at 1gram/per pound. but I can usually keep it a little under that and keep my muscle and strength.

I was thinking about your program and your diet this afternoon in traffic (I know you don't miss that), and a couple of things came up:

1. Maybe the cardio is too intense and you're burning up your muscle. A while ago I was trying to cut weight was doing a lot of cardio, about 35-50 minutes/4-5 days a week on the cross-country machine. I lost a lot of weight but it was a lot of muscle too.

Maybe tone down the cardio a little, not the duration but the intensity. Also don't forget to drink that protein after.

2. If you were to eat more low glycemic carbohydrates, that might help with the cutting also. I.E.: oatmeal, whole grains. I know thats tough in Japan, all that white rice and mochi. There's some stuff you can eat, Let me think about it and get back to you.

3. Before I forget, Up you fiber too. I find mixing in some psyllium husk into my whey helps with that.

I have more, but the wife is nagging. . . err. calling. I will get back to you on the log stuff.

Peace - Ross

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Okay just wanted to update. I had cheated a bit on my weekend carb load and ate whatever I wanted. I'm wondering how this will slow my progress but I think it really helped me mentally. My bodyweight is sitting right about 220 lbs so I'm considering dropping some calories or should I just add a day of low intensity cardio? I have been training pretty heavy lately and my joints and body have taken a beating. I'm also mentally not as focused in the gym. I remember that crazy intense feeling and I just don't have it mentally. I'm going to change my rep range to 8-10per set hoping to get some gains and give my body a rest. My strength is a little down as well. I'm wondering if thats normal while being on a CKD . I'll be posting an official Saturday picture first thing in the morning before I carb up for consistency.

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Sorry for the lack of updates and pictures. I've been so busy with work. The diet is going well although my weightloss and progress has seemed to stop. I've been frustrated and I am ashamed to post the pictures as it seems that I am regressing. I also don't know if being on a CKD is hard on strength but I can barely get up 5 reps with 110lb dumbells on bumbell press when I use to be able to get up 8-10 easily. We have changed our program to more high rep 8-12 reps and it really is starting to get to me.
I'll post my exact diet soon. I'm just trying to stay very consistent so that nothing changes. I'm wondering if I'm taking in too much protein and not enough fat in my diet. Well as soon as I have time I'll get all the facts and stats up so you very nice and helpful people can steer me in the right direction.

Manko Oyaji

Awards
haha , studied Japanese in college? Anyhow, CKD is going pretty well. I haven't updated much due to frustration and lack of progress, I don't want to give up. I'm off of the DCP, Leviathon Reloaded and am just currently using a multi, sesamin, and CLA. I can't seem to get below the 217lb mark.

I'm hoping that if I can upregulate my thyroid by taking a break on stims and eating a bit more would that speed up my metabolism. I'll post a current pic today for more feedback.

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Well, it's really hard to update a log when youre progress is not goin well. The pictures don't lie, it's really discouraging. My bodyfat is slow to come off. I'm still currently on a CKD. Eating pretty much about 500 below maintenance. I wonder if my metabolism is too slow. Anyhow, since I just changed schools and life is more stable. I will be updating and hopefully get my bodyfat down.

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Been awhile since I updated. Diet has been slow and steady. I am stuck at 202lbs. I will be cheating a bit on this weekend carb load and next weekend carb load I will be on Hong Kong. Hope DCP and sesamin can help a brother out a bit. I have been pretty consistent although my strength is pretty much stagnant and has dropped some since starting heavy dieting. For instance on my bench I am only managing 315 for 4 reps. and each set my strength seems to drop off a bit. I'm wondering about using a midweek carb spike and was curious if anyone has done that with great success. I know not many people respond and my log is kinda weird. I will post a recent picture I took yesterday before my carb up I had to use a mirror as I had no one to take it for me. I'm thankful for all the help I get from these forums and I love reading stuff on here. Thanks in advance.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Been awhile since I updated. Diet has been slow and steady. I am stuck at 202lbs. I will be cheating a bit on this weekend carb load and next weekend carb load I will be on Hong Kong. Hope DCP and sesamin can help a brother out a bit. I have been pretty consistent although my strength is pretty much stagnant and has dropped some since starting heavy dieting. For instance on my bench I am only managing 315 for 4 reps. and each set my strength seems to drop off a bit. I'm wondering about using a midweek carb spike and was curious if anyone has done that with great success. I know not many people respond and my log is kinda weird. I will post a recent picture I took yesterday before my carb up I had to use a mirror as I had no one to take it for me. I'm thankful for all the help I get from these forums and I love reading stuff on here. Thanks in advance.

Wow Great Progress man! And enjoy your stay in Japan...

Manko Oyaji

Awards
Thanks a lot Boxmeman. I use this log to keep me accountable and to one day have a great after photo. I am amazed at peoples three month transformations and wish I got those crazy type of results. I will continue to push and see where I end up. I feel better and thats the main thing. I want to get back to BJJ and shooto soon.

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot Boxmeman. I use this log to keep me accountable and to one day have a great after photo. I am amazed at peoples three month transformations and wish I got those crazy type of results. I will continue to push and see where I end up. I feel better and thats the main thing. I want to get back to BJJ and shooto soon.
The reduction of all the flab on the midsection is excellent progress, Keep up the fantastic work!