How do i detemine everything i need to know about burning fat?

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
I was wondering how i can determine how many calories a day i should eat and what foods to eat and etc to loose fat and keep lean mass? is there any types of easy to use calculators for this?
Also is there any way to determine body fat percentage without having a tool like a calculator or some sort?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Well you would take your current weight break it down so if you were 200lbs with 20% bf that means you are carrying 40lbs of fat. What I would personally do is take your bodyweight and bf% that you want to be and then eat for that goal.

The main basic component of fat loss(let's not call it weight because most don't want to lose weight they want to lose fat) is:

Calories out > Calories in.

So you must burn or use more calories than you take in. For yourself as a BB'r you want to preserve muscle and burn fat so Here's what I would recommend

1. Perform early morning HIIT cardio on an empty stomach upon rising - you can sip water your energy drink with BCAA's in it to help stop catabolism - Depending on how hardcore you want to be do this anywhere from 2 times a day (upon rising then after weights) - 5 days a week - 3 times a week.

2. Work out with heavy weights - Heavy as possible always trying to either add a rep or add 5 or 10lbs to the bar. Do this 3 - 5 times a week

3. Sleep well - at least 8 - 10hrs if you can

4. Macro ratio will be something like - P / C / F - 60 / 30 / 10 - try to stick to lean meats such as chicken / fish etc and consume 1g per pound of bodyweight a day.

5. Keep healthy oils up - Fish oils / flax oils / EFA's etc should be a daily supplement and keep your intake of these quite high.

6. FFS Don't Starve Yourself - Eat every 2 -3 hrs - people don't understand that the more you cut your food intake the harder it will be to lose that fat.

7. Water - At minimum 2Gallons / 4 litres a day. This will help you mobilize your fat as well. Reducing this intake or taking in alot of pop etc can seriously impede your progress.

Last edited:

JonLanni

Awards
Is running when you wake up n b4 you go to bed more than 3 times a week counter productive?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Is running when you wake up n b4 you go to bed more than 3 times a week counter productive?
I would say it would only be counter productive if you get too energized then can't sleep from it. I would say anytime you want to do it, just sip some water / energy drink with BCAA's to hinder catabolism or hit up a protein shake before you run / immediately after. Something slow digesting is good apparently for overnight:

Micellar Caseins 05lb | Whey Protein Supplements Bodybuilding & Health
Micellar Casein, the king of the slow digesting/slow release proteins. It has been noted as an excellent anti-catabolic protein, making it a prefect protein to use right before bedtime.

Micellar Casein is the natural, undenatured form of casein found in milk. Separated from milk by way of ultrafiltration leaves the Micellar protein high in bioactive milk peptides that help support the immune system, as well as enhance muscle growth. The ability of this protein to form a “gel” in the gut slows down its digestion allowing for a steady release of amino acids for up to 7 full hours after ingestion.
Fitday may also help you. Not sure but I hear people rave about it.... FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
Thanks this post helped me out too. Although i definitely dont need to cut now i will in the future.

In addition to eating less makes it harder to lose weight is because your body slows down it's metabolism when it does that therefore it pretty much automatically will speed up with more frequent, but smaller meals. Turkey's also good to add on with chicken and tuna. good luck bro

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
thanks man and u are already ripped judging from ur pic i need to take a recent pic.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Keep your protein up and also give yourselves a good amount of fish oil / flax for healthy fats. This should help the fat loss process. Please don't just take this from me I am far from teh cutting king :toofunny:

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
hmm i need to get some new pics i think i may be a littl mroe cut.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Keep your protein up and also give yourselves a good amount of fish oil / flax for healthy fats. This should help the fat loss process. Please don't just take this from me I am far from teh cutting king :toofunny:

Sure you are neo, you've been doing it longer than anyone else here except me :D

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Sure you are neo, you've been doing it longer than anyone else here except me :D
In all honesty I've only just got my diet in some semblance of order. I am using Fitday as is teh missuz and she lovessssss it! It's great, like the diet tracker here on the site, it just makes life much easier cause you can plan out ahead what you are eating etc so as to hit your goal!

I.e. if you do 'x' for 'x' amount of time you will reach your goal of 'x'

So we're just plugging away. We're also rollerblading almost daily with the dogs as well for exercise. Slowly, slowly the flubber leaves.

We are both doing 40/40/20.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
excellent posts neo.

I would be careful for the ts, that if he wants to keep lbm, not to burn too much as muscle will be taxed as well

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Slowly, slowly the flubber leaves.

have you put up any pictures recently? i've starting buying size M for tshirts. they are a little snug at the shoulders/chest, but ok at the waist :D

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I was wondering how i can determine how many calories a day i should eat and what foods to eat and etc to loose fat and keep lean mass? is there any types of easy to use calculators for this?
Also is there any way to determine body fat percentage without having a tool like a calculator or some sort?

Read a book *****.

DreamOfWeight

DreamOfWeight

Awards
  • Established
Read a book *****.

? was that really worth ur time.... a childish answer like that? why bother... u just put down someone who asked a question about bettering themselves.

why dont u tell him what book to read... smart as*!!

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
hey thanks dreamofweight i love when people try and be dicks on here its funny.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established
Well you would take your current weight break it down so if you were 200lbs with 20% bf that means you are carrying 40lbs of fat. What I would personally do is take your bodyweight and bf% that you want to be and then eat for that goal.

The main basic component of fat loss(let's not call it weight because most don't want to lose weight they want to lose fat) is:

7. Water - At minimum 2Gallons / 4 litres a day. This will help you mobilize your fat as well. Reducing this intake or taking in alot of pop etc can seriously impede your progress.

Neo, are you on drugs? IMO every ounce past 1 gallon exponentially decreases quality of life due to the sheer annoyance of pissing every 5 minutes. 1 ag. ED is PLENTY (unless you're on PHs or gear). I often have to quit cardio early because I have to take a leak....SOOOOO ANNOYING!

Otherwise, good post ;D

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Spot on.

1. Perform early morning HIIT cardio on an empty stomach upon rising - you can sip water your energy drink with BCAA's in it to help stop catabolism - Depending on how hardcore you want to be do this anywhere from 2 times a day (upon rising then after weights) - 5 days a week - 3 times a week.
Not necessary. Can train anytime of the day as part of a fat loss strategy.

4. Macro ratio will be something like - P / C / F - 60 / 30 / 10 - try to stick to lean meats such as chicken / fish etc and consume 1g per pound of bodyweight a day.
IMO macro ratio is much less important than overall calorie intake. Low fat, low carb, choose whatever works for you.

6. FFS Don't Starve Yourself - Eat every 2 -3 hrs - people don't understand that the more you cut your food intake the harder it will be to lose that fat.
I think what you are trying to say is that severe calorie restriction makes it progressively more difficult to lose fat AND preserve muscle. A severe restriction will still lead to fat loss but with a lot of muscle loss as well.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ouch I never noticed neo's macros before. 10% fat? my skin would be cracking and my nails brittle at that. and you start to lower your cholesterol which sounds nice up until you realize that cholesterol is what your body creates testosterone from. so too low a fat intake isn't great either. quality of fats is the critical part tho.

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established

So you must burn or use more calories than you take in. For yourself as a BB'r you want to preserve muscle and burn fat so Here's what I would recommend

2. Work out with heavy weights - Heavy as possible always trying to either add a rep or add 5 or 10lbs to the bar. Do this 3 - 5 times a week

3. Sleep well - at least 8 - 10hrs if you can

5. Keep healthy oils up - Fish oils / flax oils / EFA's etc should be a daily supplement and keep your intake of these quite high.

I read when training with weights to keep it at a rate that you can lift 12-15 at a 1/0/1 ratio. Why do you insist heavy? Just curious

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Hehehehe I was just giving him something to start with...till you pro's get here. So please take the floor guys, I am not a guru of any kind.

I know very little about dieting / macro's so please feel free to educate the OP and me ;)

In relation to the weights I would go hard and heavy to stimulate lots of growth whether that be 6 reps / 12 reps or 15 reps. I think each of you knows your body better than I do.

I'm not here to argue but to learn like most of you so if you have better things to advise please do ....I am open to learning

I would say the aim is muscle failure....your muscle adapts to the pounds / exercises so you always challenge it with more reps / lbs / exercises to keep it always growing / attempting to adapt.

Just saying..... :run:

AlexParty

Yari Ka Daw!
Awards
  • Established
Hehehehe I was just giving him something to start with...till you pro's get here. So please take the floor guys, I am not a guru of any kind.

I know very little about dieting / macro's so please feel free to educate the OP and me ;)

In relation to the weights I would go hard and heavy to stimulate lots of growth whether that be 6 reps / 12 reps or 15 reps. I think each of you knows your body better than I do.

I'm not here to argue but to learn like most of you so if you have better things to advise please do ....I am open to learning

I would say the aim is muscle failure....your muscle adapts to the pounds / exercises so you always challenge it with more reps / lbs / exercises to keep it always growing / attempting to adapt.

Hey it's all good man there's no right or wrong answer. I listen to every comment or opinion without judgment.

papapumpsd

papapumpsd

Awards
  • Established

^^^ Please ban this guy......

J/P! :D No, u had good comments, for realz. You just love to drink a lot of water, that's all. HE HEEE. Dat ain't not gonna killz ya, but daayyum hood, you be pissin' yo pantz a lot.

Ok, back to white: I switch up training.....high reps, lighter weight to low rep (<=6) heavy weight. I'm currently doing heavy and I'm cutting. No problems here dood!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah, I just know that when I start going much below 40g total fat per day for any length of time, things start to go bad, and I tend to feel better at over 60g. as far as bodybuilding goes in general though, seems that lower carb works far better than lower fat to acheive fat loss.

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Nice responses guys! I would say that I am starting to see from others experiences that mixing it up by week or every two weeks between low rep heavy weight or high rep heavy weight may really be a good medium for growth.

;)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm really seeing significant improvement doing high volume - 5 sets of going to failure at 12-20 reps. doing 75 incline presses is noticeable