Cutting and building muscle

Plumerscrak

Awards
Hey guys, Im wondering if you guys can give me any pointers in loosing my gut and bulking up too. Like what routine I should do when working out, and what kind of diet should I have?

Height: 6'
Weigh: 269
Current body fat: 20%+, most of it is in my gut
Target body fat: 12-15%

Thanks alot!

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
It sounds like you really need to focus on cardio to lose fat. Cutting and building muscle is a somewhat paradoxical phrase IMO. For diet, try to make sure you don't indulge in soda and junk food. Definetely, get plenty of protein and high quality complex carbs (oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, etc.) Diet and cardio should allow you to lose weight. If you weigh 270, you probably already have some muscle underneath. It's just a matter of letting it show by toning up. You might want to concentrate on a well-balanced workout that hits all the major muscle groups. Maybe keep the reps in the 8-12 range to focus on hypertrophy more than strength. It's kind of impossible to add muscle when you're not eating a lot. So really man, you might want to focus on losing the gut first. You can't expect to do it all at once. Just be persistent, do lots of research, come up with a plan, and make changes as necessary. Hope this helps. Good luck!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Plum the best advice I can give is start reading. All of your answers are here I suggest starting with the diet/nutrition section

Plumerscrak

Awards
Thanks guys. And I do have muscle underneath, I just need to get the fat off the top.

I was in powerlifting and football through highschool, and I graduated '07. I was starting O-line, and back up D-line. If that gives you any picture...

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
Man I've been having the same problem only I was about 195lbs, about 20% bodyfat (most in my gut) and I wanted to cut down.

Well, since late October, I've dropped to about 177lbs, not lost any muscle. I know this because I've gone slightly up on all my exercises at the gym.

I accomplished this by eating under 2,000 calories a day, high protein, high and quality fat sources, and most of my carbs coming from fibrous vegetables, fruits, and some oats. I've also been doing cardio 5x a week and have been consistent on the diet and the workouts. Supplements were Multivitamen, beta alanine, leviathan, DCP, and drive.

I am, however, not too my goal...I would like to trim up that last bit of fat and try to build some more muscle. I also don't know if the way I did it was the most effective way out there....i know a lot of people have had success with the "Anabolic Diet" also called "Metabolic Diet".

But good luck bro, with dedication and intelligence you will start seeing results soon and that will motivate you to keep going and next thing you know, summer will be here and you'll be feeling good on the beach!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man I've been having the same problem only I was about 195lbs, about 20% bodyfat (most in my gut) and I wanted to cut down.

Well, since late October, I've dropped to about 177lbs, not lost any muscle. I know this because I've gone slightly up on all my exercises at the gym.

I accomplished this by eating under 2,000 calories a day, high protein, high and quality fat sources, and most of my carbs coming from fibrous vegetables, fruits, and some oats. I've also been doing cardio 5x a week and have been consistent on the diet and the workouts. Supplements were Multivitamen, beta alanine, leviathan, DCP, and drive.

I am, however, not too my goal...I would like to trim up that last bit of fat and try to build some more muscle. I also don't know if the way I did it was the most effective way out there....i know a lot of people have had success with the "Anabolic Diet" also called "Metabolic Diet".

But good luck bro, with dedication and intelligence you will start seeing results soon and that will motivate you to keep going and next thing you know, summer will be here and you'll be feeling good on the beach!
Strength is not always indicative of muscle. For example, I know that I have lost a good amount of muscle when I went from BBing to MMA, but I am stronger now than I was then. My weight has gone from 210 to 175, yet my lifts are greater now.