Preventing catabolism during a cut...

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Does anyone have any suggestions on what would be the best way to prevent muscle breakdown (to a minimum) during a cutting cycle?

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Causes Of Catabolism
Anabolism and catabolism can become quite involved. Dr. Emanuel Revici based an entire metabolic typing system on these two aspects of metabolism. His system is somewhat similar, but not the same as Dr. Paul Eck's distinction of fast and slow oxidizers.
When we refer to a catabolic state we are referring to a specific condition in which catabolic processes are dominant. The main cause of this is a prolonged stress response.
In response to stress, the body secretes epinephrine, norepinephrine, cortisol and other hormones. The glucocorticoids (such as cortisol) have a catabolic action. That is, they suppress the synthesis of protein, glycogen and triglycerides. Instead, these are broken down into fatty acids, glucose and amino acids and mobilized from storage.
This process is necessary to counteract a stress. However, if the process is prolonged, the resulting catabolism is very damaging to the body and causes excessive tissue breakdown.
Also, a prolonged stress response suppresses the immune system, the digestive organs, growth hormones and other important body systems.
There are numerous causes for a prolonged stress response. They include attitudes of fear, guilt, worry, resentment, frustration and hostility. Another cause is nutritional deficiencies. These can lower one's stress threshold and impair the production of cellular energy within the cells. When a body is not able to properly metabolize sugars, starches and fats for fuel in the glycolysis and Krebs energy cycles, it will digest its own tissue proteins in order to produce energy.
Also, fatigue and other health conditions may cause a catabolic state.
Have a look at the site quite interesting. The whole thing for keeping muscle on a cut is to take in enough protein to give your body what it needs. Also to stop cortisol levels / stress levels getting too high, so a good AntiCortisol and lots of sleep.

Amor Est Vitae Essentia,

Neoborn

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BCAAs.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
BCAAs and Havoc :)

CROWLER

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
BCAAs, forskolin/forslean (Drive) helps a lot too, and I think some of the GH increasers also help (IGF-2, Powerfull). Plenty of protein as well. I've lost over the last year 50lbs of scale weight, while gaining muscle mass... probably gained 20lbs of muscle in that time. so thats 70lbs of fat lost...

man I can't beleive I carried that much for as long as I did.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Hmm I'm eating enough protein. I take in about 1,800 cals daily @ 40/40/20. However, it seems my little gut doesn't want to go away. Not sure if the weight I'm loosing is muscle or fat.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
are lifts going down? I figure if you loose muscle mass, you loose strength too

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I'm lifting in the 8-12 rep range, normally it's 1-8.. I've noticed strength decreases as energy expenditure increases, which could be from the lack of calories?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think fatigue sets in easier on a calorie defecit. But in general I have to drop a weight 10-15 lbs to do it for 12 vs what I can do it for 8 anyhow. But if week to week those rep counts are rising, then i'd wager your muscle loss is minimal.

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Fish oils, natural gh booster (powerful/somnidren GH), forskolin (bolic), CLA, DCP, Creatine, anti-cortisol (Retain 2/X-lean), BCAA's, carb cycling with load days (anabolic pump with all carb meals and especially load days)

DarkDragon

Awards
NP is out of BCAA's at the moment, is there any place to find it at a local store?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you wont find it in local stores realistically priced, but custom capsule (a board sponsor) sells theirs about the same price, $18 for 500g or $20 flavored lemon lime (nice flavoring, I like it a lot)

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I am planning on BCAA + Relora + Vit-c before bed.
Topical 7-keto + cottage cheese + Vit-c + Relora for breakfast.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I am planning on BCAA + Relora + Vit-c before bed.
Topical 7-keto + cottage cheese + Vit-c + Relora for breakfast.
NICE!!

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Dsade did you wax your whole body? :toofunny:

Looking buffer dood (no hot sweaty man love)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dsade did you wax your whole body? :toofunny:

Looking buffer dood (no hot sweaty man love)
I've been trying to talk Crader into waxing my back, but nope...I think some of it is lighter, due to the recent testing of Atomic Meltdown (sucks to have to relax in a tanning bed...but my life is not my own anymore.)

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
You definitely look less furry than your locker room snapshot! You should get some nice quality pics to put up in the pic section, you have definitely put the work into your physique.

Good job bro!:squat:

I've been trying to talk Crader into waxing my back, but nope...I think some of it is lighter, due to the recent testing of Atomic Meltdown (sucks to have to relax in a tanning bed...but my life is not my own anymore.)

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You definitely look less furry than your locker room snapshot! You should get some nice quality pics to put up in the pic section, you have definitely put the work into your physique.

Good job bro!:squat:
Thanks!

Christine and I both have been hitting things really hard. We have even been lightly training our 10 year old, so she helps motivate by nagging us to the gym every night. :)

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
Thanks!

Christine and I both have been hitting things really hard. We have even been lightly training our 10 year old, so she helps motivate by nagging us to the gym every night. :)
I'm glad you both have 'been hitting things hard'! Believe me I hear you on the nagging thing....it's genetic to the species or whatever they are. I have one who I love dearly but all the stereotypes are true!!! It's like the star wars dood "It's a trap!!!" :toofunny:

Gotta love em though, because they are the soft interior to our cold hard exterior shells. We compliment each other wonderfully.

Much love to you n yours,

Neoborn

P.S Now get some good pics up dag nabbit

BifWebster

Awards
I'm lifting in the 8-12 rep range, normally it's 1-8.. I've noticed strength decreases as energy expenditure increases, which could be from the lack of calories?
Stick with the lower rep range that you built your strength with and lift heavy in order to give your muscles a reason to stay.