5 to 6 Meals a day??

RKL3rd

Awards
Ok I was just asking around the other day on the supplements forum and everyone was giving great advice. But they were telling me to start eating 5 to 6 smaller meals a day. They say it speed up you metabolism and you burn more calories through out your day. So i am interested in trying this and making it work so I guess my question here is how much. I mean how much do you eat or what do you eat as a portion?

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish, definately need more information such as your age, height, weight, whether you're bulking or cutting, etc.

Quaker Oats and Whey Protien are staples in my diet. That's what the majority of my meals consist of. Try to get 500 calories or so per meal, puts me at 3000 a day give or take.

RKL3rd

Awards
Oh man good advice already I should have known...I am 21 yrs old, 6ft 5in, 285lbs. I am currently lifting at the gym and my main goal is bulking right now and I am currently taking creatine and protein light

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I eat 4 meals ~400 cals each, and a daily total of about 1,800 cals while cutting. When bulking I'll eat about 5-6 meals ~600 cals each

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh man good advice already I should have known...I am 21 yrs old, 6ft 5in, 285lbs. I am currently lifting at the gym and my main goal is bulking right now and I am currently taking creatine and protein light
Some prefer a 40/40/20 diet split. 40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat. This is a good START to a diet plan because it allows you adjust your ratios and total calories very easily.

Again, some suggestions for a starting point would be:
Cut: 10 cals/pound
Recomp: 15 cals/pound
Bulk 20 cals/pound

During the cut, you take in 1 gram protein and 1g carbs per pound bodyweight and adjust fats accordingly. Recomp 1.5 grams, bulk 2g. Make sense?

The easiest way to track your diet is on www.fitday.com The hardest part is setting portion sizes for your carbs.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
from one of the many calculators available on the internets.

"According to your age of 21 and measurements of 6' 5" tall and weight of 285 pounds you will burn about 4228.26 calories a day just to keep going. You have to burn 3500 calories to lose one pound, or take in 3500 calories more than you burn to gain one pound. Your physician should help you determine the ideal weight for you."

Take that for what it is, a calculator using averages of average americans.

I'd say take a look at how much you're currently eating daily and adjust from there. Definately eat as clean as you can and if you're bulking, increase your calories per day by 500-1000 and see how that affects your goals. If needed, eat even more. To me the second hardest thing to eating clean all the time is eating enough.

TxGuy83

TxGuy83

Awards
I would suggest finding out roughly what your BMR is and then make sure your diet is about 20% shy of that a day. For me the 5-6 meals a day really works, and I keep them at about 300-400 calories a meal. I do a 45%(carbs)/45%(Protien)/10%(Fats) Make sure too that you are eating these meals 2-3 hours apart, that will keep you anabolic and ensuring that you lose the right weight and minimize strength loss. Hope that helps

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
keep you anabolic
If he's unable to eat during one of those meals wouldn't sipping on some BCAA's keep him anabolic for another 2-3 hours?

Although if you can drink some branch chain, I reckon you can drink a shake just as easily.

CrissyJ

Awards
There is a BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) calculator here: http://www.lookcut.com/tools/ That will predict your recommended caloric intake. From this number you should follow what celc5 recommended for your carb/proten ratios