On the brink of a cut... I desire your feedback!

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I'll be cutting around mid-January. That's what I've got scheduled anyway.

That said, mind the soft belly, here are a few pics.

Any and all comments, critiques, and suggestions are welcome.

Stats right now:
roughly 185lbs
5'9"
bf% = idk (what do you think?)

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think you got a good base to reap some positive results with a 10-12lb cut. What have you got in mind for your diet and exercise routine?

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I think you got a good base to reap some positive results with a 10-12lb cut. What have you got in mind for your diet and exercise routine?

I'm thinking I want to go with the Anabolic Diet, so, a CKD.

As far as exercising goes, DC style training M,W,F.. along with fasted morning cardio (while sipping BCAAs) 3 or 4 days a week.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you must..

might i suggest my nipples?
They were on the list :D

Sounds like a plan, you are at the kind of bodyfat point where the changes should be very visible along the way, which is nice

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

As far as exercising goes, DC style training M,W,F.. along with fasted morning cardio (while sipping BCAAs) 3 or 4 days a week.
With AD/CKD nix the fasted cardio it's not needed. To be honest BCAA's may also not be needed. Dont want to burn them for fuel.

A few knowledgeable people tell me cardio is really not needed on this diet if your diet is spot on.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
With AD/CKD nix the fasted cardio it's not needed. To be honest BCAA's may also not be needed. Dont want to burn them for fuel.

A few knowledgeable people tell me cardio is really not needed on this diet if your diet is spot on.
hmm.. well i'd like to avoid the fasted cardio if possible. I'm not a big fan of getting up early as it is.

that's interesting about the last thing you said, I bought the book "the anabolic solution" which is all about the anabolic diet, so maybe that will shed some light on this.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmm.. well i'd like to avoid the fasted cardio if possible. I'm not a big fan of getting up early as it is.

that's interesting about the last thing you said, I bought the book "the anabolic solution" which is all about the anabolic diet, so maybe that will shed some light on this.
I dont know If I agree with no cardio but I figured I'd give it a try for the 1st 4 weeks and go from there. I'm down a few lbs in 14days and I look leaner and dont feel bloated. Fat loss should really become apparent for me in the coming days.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

If cutting, the AD diet sounds like it's right up your alley. Especially with all the feedback I've been reading on it. I agree with DW as well. Nix the BCAA's, you'll be getting more then enough protein with that diet as it is.

Eject

Eject

Awards
If you go on the AD, please make a log or something, I bought the book, but have yet to try it.

Just train ****ing hard bro, make a plan, print it up and don't deviate from it.

At end of every week study how much you've changed it'll be good motivation.

metalman302

metalman302

Awards
Damn dude, your pics, stats and situation are all identical to myself.

I have the most muscle mass I have ever had before, but have the most belly fat I have ever had before. Strange though... my upper abs are still clearly visible despite having a "pooch" around my lower abs.

Personally the extra belly fat is very uncomfortable at times like when squatting down working on something. I decided to go on a cut after new years instead of the bulk I was originally planning. Gonna do a "mini cut" and a mini clean bulk and then another mini cut just in time for summer.

Good luck

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Damn dude, your pics, stats and situation are all identical to myself.

I have the most muscle mass I have ever had before, but have the most belly fat I have ever had before. Strange though... my upper abs are still clearly visible despite having a "pooch" around my lower abs.

Personally the extra belly fat is very uncomfortable at times like when squatting down working on something. I decided to go on a cut after new years instead of the bulk I was originally planning. Gonna do a "mini cut" and a mini clean bulk and then another mini cut just in time for summer.

Good luck

I am also in pretty much the same boat. I am about 5'8'' and 218lbs but with slightly less body fat (I stress "slightly") and I can not lose that fat from my belly button down. I am really interested in your results.

Could you also elaborate on what "DC" training is? I am not familiar with it and DC is only 2 letters so search will not work? I am very interested because I started my pre-training for my cut (general conditioning) the last few weeks and plan on hitting the cut hard on New Year's morning. Still I am trying to refine the weight training portion of my program so info on the DC training you spoke of would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mr.50

Carbocation

Carbocation

Awards
looking good man keep up the hard work!!

I LOVE THE LAST LINE IN YOUR SIG - DUDE IT MADE MY DAY LOL!!!

Goat

Awards
Your bf% is like mine only without all the muscle. I say 16% since I just got measured with calipers 9pt last week. You are holding a lot in the gut though so who knows, maybe 17 or 18.

Goat

Awards
You know, I read over that a couple of times and thought the same thing.. Eh, it's whatev.. I'm all man... :lol:
It wasn't meant to be an insult. This is a bodybuilding board and I'm not going to sugarcoat anything. If it makes you feel better I was just as small but with heaps more fat 5 years ago.:box::burg:

*insert encouraging coach like words here* j/k

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
It wasn't meant to be an insult. This is a bodybuilding board and I'm not going to sugarcoat anything. If it makes you feel better I was just as small but with heaps more fat 5 years ago.:box::burg:

*insert encouraging coach like words here* j/k
It's no biggie.. I can handle the truth..

Thanks for the kind words though at the end, lol.. I'm encouraged :)

jwecker

Awards
~16-19% bf. Invest in an impedance scale or calipers to get the most out of the cut. Good luck dude.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
I set a goal this tuesday: 10% BF by mid-May..

I'm going this coming Monday to get my BF, LBM, Bone Density, and such checked by way of this place: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/fit/bodycompfit.php
I'll update when I get this done..

And I'll do the same thing come May and see how I've progressed.

So, judging by my pics, you guys think this is feasible?

jwecker

Awards
The fastest I've ever cut is 2% bf per month... That's just me of course. So yeah, sounds like a reasonable goal from my point of view.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You definitely can do it. I'm around the same boat bodyfat wise, maybe a percent or two more, and I will make it to 10 by then (come hell or high water :)).

I'll be putting up some pics in my logging thread in about 2 weeks

Goat

Awards
I set a goal this tuesday: 10% BF by mid-May..

I'm going this coming Monday to get my BF, LBM, Bone Density, and such checked by way of this place: http://www.edb.utexas.edu/fit/bodycompfit.php
I'll update when I get this done..

And I'll do the same thing come May and see how I've progressed.

So, judging by my pics, you guys think this is feasible?
I think if you can lose 1.5lbs per week you will meet your goal by late March at worst.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted to hear guys.

Frickin' thanks!!! :D

Ninsha

Ninsha

Awards
I'm jealous Ozark - I am almost the same stats as you (5'8", 178) and I'm carrying a lot more extra baggage on my gut than you are.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
Update... had some body comp. tests done today..

Weight: 178 Lbs
BF%: 17.8
Lean Mass: 139.47 Lbs
Fat Mass: 31.8 Lbs
Bone Mass: 7.3 Lbs (I was told this was a good bit above average.. dang straight, no femur cracks for me :D)

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Update... had some body comp. tests done today..

Weight: 178 Lbs
BF%: 17.8
Lean Mass: 139.47 Lbs
Fat Mass: 31.8 Lbs
Bone Mass: 7.3 Lbs (I was told this was a good bit above average.. dang straight, no femur cracks for me :D)
i just got to this thread. Where did you get these tests done? and how did they do it. Looks like you have a good base to start with and with all the knowledge youve been gaining all you need to do is do it! when you cut down more your puffy nipples should get tighter. Mine are kinda puffy (mild gyno) too im pretty sure when i cut they will be hardly noticable.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
i just got to this thread. Where did you get these tests done? and how did they do it. Looks like you have a good base to start with and with all the knowledge youve been gaining all you need to do is do it! when you cut down more your puffy nipples should get tighter. Mine are kinda puffy (mild gyno) too im pretty sure when i cut they will be hardly noticable.
I got them done a the fitness institute of texas (at the university of texas).. They used this machine called DEXA to do all the scans.. It's pretty sweet.. gives you the bf on each part of your body as well, the trunk, each leg, and each arm...

And man, I'm totally doing it! Started a log (in my sig) with dcp and some other goodies.. Been on the AD for a little over 6 weeks, and started seriously cutting right around 2 weeks ago..

Oh, and thanks for the encouraging words. Puffy nips are a bit<h..

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i need to start cutting too in a few months i think. Ive never done it before so maybe when i start you can help me along :thumbsup:

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
lol, this is my first cut as well. I've always been bulk bulk bulk, knowing that I'd put on some fat, but not really caring so long as I was making gains.. Now it's time to get cut, and then maintain that bf along with more gains in the future... I think that this is def. gonna be nice in the long run. I'll probably be much happier with future cycles/training.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i've done nothing but cut. but thats because I started as the staypuft marshmellow man.

I'm pretty confident I added 30+ lbs of lean mass in the last year, in the same time span of loosing 40+ on the scale. its depressing in its own way how bad a shape i was in that I managed to do that.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
the numbers are pretty impressive though easy.. You've made some dang fine progress..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks :) would have been easier had I not just completely let myself go for 20 years tho.