What do you all eat on no carb days???

Turk

Awards
Trying to get ideas so I can actually make a meal with no to very little carbs. So far I got the main ingredients but I'm trying to figure out what to make with them. I'm going to be starting my 1st carb cycling regimen soon and I'm trying to make myself a menu.

So far I have:
Egg Whites
Chicken
Tuna
Salmon
Salsa (low carbs)
Veggies (most are low carbs)

Eagleman003

Awards
i dont agree with no carb days but w/e... dont forget the greens such as brocolli and salad as they make u feel full yet add almost no extra calories to your diet. if your looking to lose weight maybe u could try an EC stack at a low low dose like 50mg ephedrine and 400mg caffeine a day.

Turk

Awards
Well I am on a cut and need to go low carb for Cholesterol purposes as well so I wanted to try Twin Peak carb cycling. But yea, forgot to include the greens! I'll update the list, Thanks.

Last edited:
Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
i dont agree with no carb days but w/e... dont forget the greens such as brocolli and salad as they make u feel full yet add almost no extra calories to your diet. if your looking to lose weight maybe u could try an EC stack at a low low dose like 50mg ephedrine and 400mg caffeine a day.
YOu don't agree with no carb days, but you advise ephedrine?

Fats will make him feel full and stave off gluconeogenesis.

An EC stack will not remedy the problem (ie diet), it will take care of a symptom.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Ground beef patties with spinach/onions mixed in, smothered with melted cream cheese.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I eat carbs everyday:D

But when I did try no carbs, I just ate tuna for every meal.. nothing else kills your appetite for carbs or any other food for that matter to help you stick to it.. I'm not recommending it though ;)

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Ground beef patties with spinach/onions mixed in, smothered with melted cream cheese.
Really? I love my ground beef, and my spinach and onions. And I love me some cream cheese. Cream cheese on the burger. Okay, I'm game. what in god's name gave you the idea, though?

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
extra lean ground turkey and a couple pieces of cheese.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Really? I love my ground beef, and my spinach and onions. And I love me some cream cheese. Cream cheese on the burger. Okay, I'm game. what in god's name gave you the idea, though?
I used to make stuffed burgers with cream cheese and avocado. It was melty ambrosia.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I used to make stuffed burgers with cream cheese and avocado. It was melty ambrosia.
Best burger I've come up with was using two grilled cheese sandwiches as a bun. Throw some bacon in one, and tomato in the other....not exactly cutting food, though.

I should've thought of the avacado thing, I love avacado. Good deal.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Try them! You can add eggs into the mix too!

Sort of an improvised Atkins recipe:

* 1 pound ground beef (round or chuck)
* 1 green onion chopped
* 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
* 1/4 cup chopped tomato
* 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
* 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill or 3/4 teaspoon dried
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper

1. Combine ground beef, green onion, spinach, tomato, feta, dill, salt and pepper. Form into 2 patties.
2. Grill or pan-fry over medium-high heat for 6 minutes on each side for medium doneness.

With the tomato, they sort of fall apart in the pan though.

Pork chops, salsa and cream cheese is good too.

Brown the chops, add salsa, top with cream cheese and cover ~5 mins until cheese is melted.

Eagleman003

Awards
YOu don't agree with no carb days, but you advise ephedrine?

Fats will make him feel full and stave off gluconeogenesis.

An EC stack will not remedy the problem (ie diet), it will take care of a symptom.
you can lose muscle if your blood sugar levels stay really low all day long.. yes u will burn more fat but u will also eat some muscle if your not very careful.. its probablly better to have a small amount of carbs to keep your body happy and not tear into msucle protein for fuel

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
I have had sustained periods of ketosis and hadn't had catabolism to the degree you speak of, albeit these days I go 4-5 days depleted and then refeed for 2 days. My body is more suited to limited carbs. Perhaps I am of an ancient breed that lived on animals solely? :D

Every diet had different results per individual. What you say has some truth, as Diets like the Anabolic Diet and it's variations are very well received..

My issue with your post is that you recommended Ephedra to a person without really addressing the cause of their weight "problem". Even if a person does not stay with a cyclical ketogenic, or lower carb diet, it will teach them to manipulate their macros to achieve a desired effect. It is not the be all end all diet, but it truly does teach how big of an effect carb manipulation or timing has on one's composition. If there is one thing to learn from these type of diets, is that dietary fat is NOT the enemy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had sustained periods of ketosis and hadn't had catabolism to the degree you speak of, albeit these days I go 4-5 days depleted and then refeed for 2 days. My body is more suited to limited carbs. Perhaps I am of an ancient breed that lived on animals solely? :D

Every diet had different results per individual. What you say has some truth, as Diets like the Anabolic Diet and it's variations are very well received..

My issue with your post is that you recommended Ephedra to a person without really addressing their cause of the weight. Even if a person does not stay with a cyclical ketogenic, or lower carb diet, it will teach them to manipulate their macros to achieve a desired effect. It is not the be all end all diet, but it truly does teach how big of an effect carb manipulation or timing has on one's composition.
Your heritage does have a huge effect on which macro's work best for you. It's not something that is easy to pin down, but finding what works best for you is the biggest challenge to achieving your goals.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Your heritage does have a huge effect on which macro's work best for you. It's not something that is easy to pin down, but finding what works best for you is the biggest challenge to achieving your goals.
Perhaps there is a semblance of truth in Dr. D'Adamo's Blood Type Diet.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
There are holes in it, but apparently I have been eating "right for my type" all along. I at least took that away from it. Apparently it's right. I do love animals. :D Type O negative= ancient blood type = hunter

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
you can lose muscle if your blood sugar levels stay really low all day long.. yes u will burn more fat but u will also eat some muscle if your not very careful.. its probablly better to have a small amount of carbs to keep your body happy and not tear into msucle protein for fuel
Yeah, you want to do like 30g/day on low days.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
You can also add buffalo to your list. And turkey if you can still stand it after Thanksgiving;)

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
I would change the egg whites to whole eggs. More nutrition and you need fats while low carbing. IMO

Eagleman003

Awards
the biggest problem is people believe that low carbs will help them burn body fat.. and yes this is true but a low carb diet will also attempt to tear into some muscle... I would just cut calories down dude, do cardio, keep a decent overload on your muscles in the gym and eat clean clean clean. also, eat those carbs, there good for you ;)

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Eagleman003, that only occurs during Gluconeogenesis. If you don't eat enough fat, and mostly protein, your body will resort to using the protein as a fuel.. hence catabolism. Obviously you will stave off the muscle catabolism if you provide the body with the second most efficient fuel source=fat.

I understand your standpoint, but try to understand the mechanisms at work.

I have had sustained periods of ketosis and hadn't had catabolism to the degree you speak of, albeit these days I go 4-5 days depleted and then refeed for 2 days. My body is more suited to limited carbs. Perhaps I am of an ancient breed that lived on animals solely?

My issue with your post is that you recommended Ephedra to a person without really addressing the cause of their weight "problem". Even if a person does not stay with a cyclical ketogenic, or lower carb diet, it will teach them to manipulate their macros to achieve a desired effect. It is not the be all end all diet, but it truly does teach how big of an effect carb manipulation or timing has on one's composition. If there is one thing to learn from these type of diets, is that dietary fat is NOT the enemy.

Turk

Awards
the biggest problem is people believe that low carbs will help them burn body fat.. and yes this is true but a low carb diet will also attempt to tear into some muscle... I would just cut calories down dude, do cardio, keep a decent overload on your muscles in the gym and eat clean clean clean. also, eat those carbs, there good for you ;)
Remember the low carbs is also for my cholesterol. I intend to try to do some preventive measures to try not to let my muscles suffer. I'll be sipping Xtend all day and may start to megadose fish oil as well. So we shall see! :) Just trying to get some food ideas.

nelix

Awards
  • Established
I avoid eating the same **** everyday.
But here are some ideas:
Salmon Sashimi (high in many types of fat, including AA, DHA, EPA)
Steak
Eggs
Cottage Cheese
Peanut Butter

I eat some veggies with every serving, and take some pysilium husks for good measure.

Edit for the anti low carb people:
Low carb dieting is awesome for anyone wishing to cut for a long period of time, where counting cals and feeling lethargic and hungry all the time gets really old... I am sure there are better diets for some people, but low carbs have a niche. And as for catabolism, you can have a refeed here and there and as long as you don't over do it, you'll be fine.

Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous

Awards
  • Established
Nelix, Salmon Sashimi is my absolute FAVORITE.

I have a man crush (revolving around a food fetish) on you now.

Mr.50

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Guys what do you think the chances of your fat loss being limited (or non-existant) on a diet like the AD if you are keeping to your carb limits (30<) on low carb days and only one or two days of carbing-up but on the low carb days you are not counting total calories????

Basically what I am trying to ask is:

How important is it to count total calories on the AD?

Thanks.

Mr.50

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Guys what do you think the chances of your fat loss being limited (or non-existant) on a diet like the AD if you are keeping to your carb limits (30<) on low carb days and only one or two days of carbing-up but on the low carb days you are not counting total calories????

Basically what I am trying to ask is:

How important is it to count total calories on the AD?

Thanks.

Mr.50
At first I'd say not much. I was eating 3,500-4,500 cals the 1st 9days of mine. A few of those I was at my org. planned 3,000 and I lost 6~9lbs it may have been water but stil I feel and look leaner. Starting 2day Im going to hit and stay at 3,200-3,500 cals

joeymutz

joeymutz

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'm an ecto and around 11% bf. would this be a good diet to get get down to a low bf% say 7-8 %? i dowloaded the pdf of this diet and it is very interseting. it makes me think of how alot of animlas eat. They just kill other animals, the other animals are just full of protein and fat. Those animals that are killing them for example a lion or tiger are basically all muscle.

Turk

Awards
I'm an ecto and around 11% bf. would this be a good diet to get get down to a low bf% say 7-8 %? i dowloaded the pdf of this diet and it is very interseting. it makes me think of how alot of animlas eat. They just kill other animals, the other animals are just full of protein and fat. Those animals that are killing them for example a lion or tiger are basically all muscle.
Which diet are you referring to for the pdf you downloaded?

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Tight like a tiger...

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Well I am on a cut and need to go low carb for Cholesterol purposes as well so I wanted to try Twin Peak carb cycling. But yea, forgot to include the greens! I'll update the list, Thanks.
Keep in mind that Twin Peak's plan isn't a ketogenic diet, so all of these high fat protein source suggestions would only be used up to 2x/day.

amicold

Awards
Considering I'm on the AD I'll offer up what I eat.
Eggs, salmon, beef, bacon, ham, steak, ground beef, any type of cheese, of course some natural peanut butter occasionally, tons of brocolli, chicken, turkey. Pretty much meat and cheese and fibrous greens.

Turk

Awards
Keep in mind that Twin Peak's plan isn't a ketogenic diet, so all of these high fat protein source suggestions would only be used up to 2x/day.
I'm sorry, I'm not following what your saying. :think:

CorpKiller

CorpKiller

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Eggs/EggBeaters
Turkey
Ham
Peanut Butter
Hamburger Steak w/ some Ketchup

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm sorry, I'm not following what your saying. :think:
The goal of the No Carb days in TP's diet plan isn't ketogenesis. A lot of these recommendations are high in fat like eggs, peanut butter, steak, salmon. These are good for keto diets, but in TP's plan, you shoot for 1 or 2 meals/day with fattier protein sources and the rest with lean protein sources.

Most of your protein requirements must be satisfied from very lean protein sources. Indeed, four of your meals must use lean protein sources, while the remaining one or two may come from a higher-fat source. For our purposes, a "lean source" is one that has no more than 10% of its calories from fat. It is important that you look at the calorie breakdown here, as a product may say "10% Fat" but refer to the fact that 10% of its macronutrients are fat. And because fat is more than twice as calorically dense as carbs or protein, it will derive more than 10% of its calories from fat. Now, as I have stated, this is a simple diet, so if you don't want to figure out what you can and cannot eat, I have provided a list of generally acceptable lean protein choices.

In addition, one or two meals should contain a higher-fat protein choice. Again, I have provided a list for easy reference, but for those of you with peculiar tastes, you can choose any protein that derives about 20-25% of its calories from fat. If, however, you'd rather eat a lean protein, then for that meal you should add about 10-15 grams of fat from the "Fat List" below, in the fat consumption section. For example, if you have six meals, and four have protein sources from list A and two from list B, you are fine. You cannot have more than two from list B. And if you have none from list B, and all six from list A, then two meals must have an added fat source from the list below.

Approved Lean Protein Sources (A)

Chicken (white meat)
Turkey (white meat)
Tuna Fish (can)
Fish (flounder, tuna (fatty or not), salmon, shark, etc.)
Shellfish (all types)
Protein (preferably whey post workout, and casein before bed; MRPs must be low-carb)
Lean beef (including lean cuts of steak)
Cottage Cheese (0 or 1% fat)
Egg whites (egg beaters)

Approved Higher-Fat Protein Sources (B)

Chicken (dark meat)
Turkey (dark meat)
Eggs (half whites, half whole eggs)
Steak and other meats (not exceptionally high fat cuts)
Cottage Cheese (Whole Milk)

Fat Consumption
As for fats, this diet does not worry too much about them. Nor will we discuss them much, save for this brief discussion here. While this is not a high fat (or Ketogenic) diet, it certainly is not a low fat diet. When I first started cycling carbs, I kept fats to probably less than twenty grams a day. Here, I recommend keeping dietary fats on the low side, with the majority of fats coming from supplemented EFAs (essential fatty acids)-specifically fish oil (high in long chain omega 3 fatty acids -- EPA/DHA).

Why fish oil? There are so many good reasons that a detailed discussion can be an article unto itself. For our purposes, it is sufficient to know that it has all the benefits of other EFA sources (such as flax and hemp oil) and in addition, has been shown to increase leptin sensitivity and exert positive effects on body composition much more efficiently than other EFAs (this is one of the important nutrient partitioning "tricks" one must employ for a successful recomposition).

Now, on to the practicality of it. First, you will be getting some fats in your lean protein sources (probably between 10 and 20 grams of fat) and a few grams from the carb sources (another 10 to 20 grams on high carb day). Second, at least two meals per day will include protein of the higher-fat variety. And if not, then you should add a fat source from the list below.

Turk

Awards
The goal of the No Carb days in TP's diet plan isn't ketogenesis. A lot of these recommendations are high in fat like eggs, peanut butter, steak, salmon. These are good for keto diets, but in TP's plan, you shoot for 1 or 2 meals/day with fattier protein sources and the rest with lean protein sources.
Gotcha! Thanks for the reminder and explanation, I didn't get what you were trying to say at first. I haven't had time to complete my lil weekly menu but I believe I have that as a note on there.