weight loss advice needed

I

Iceman1414

Awards
Hey guys my g/f has started exercising with me regularly. She goes 4 x a week for 30 min. to 45 min. cardio sessions. She does the treadmill and and eliptical. After about 6 weeks of consistancy she wants to see more rapid results. She is 5'5 170 lbs. What is the best fat burning/metabolism quickening supplement out there. I am not looking for a GNC special but I dont want her to go the illegal route either... She has taken adipex in the past and was not pleased with the results and it also made her feel bad. I appreciate any advice you can give her guys... Also with your opinions could you include possible pounds lost...

T

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Before recommending supplements, you may want to post up her diet. That would be the next logical place to start before supplements.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Yeah, what's her diet?

I've found thermonex by BSN a great fat burning supplement. I reccomend you both look into it, since it is quite good. but before then, post up her diet!

I

Iceman1414

Awards
Her diet consists of eating what she wants but just smaller proportions. She is trying to eat healthier...more baked foods, more green in her diet. What type of foods should be in her diet to lose the most weight? I am trying to gain weight so I eat 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight and I eat a lot of carbs... what should her protein, carb, fat ratio look like? What kind of results does thermonex produce?

boxmeman

boxmeman

Awards
  • Established
Her diet consists of eating what she wants but just smaller proportions. She is trying to eat healthier...more baked foods, more green in her diet. What type of foods should be in her diet to lose the most weight? I am trying to gain weight so I eat 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight and I eat a lot of carbs... what should her protein, carb, fat ratio look like? What kind of results does thermonex produce?

LOL eating what she wants (smaller portions) wish I could do that

T

tegman

Awards
You might want to keep a food log for a week to see exactly what she is eating.wright down the cals pro,carbs and fat for everthing and at the end of the seven days add it all up then you can get an average for each day and adjust it accordingly. Because in my experience just trying to eat the same things but smaller portions usually does not work because you usually end up eating more than you think:food:

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
I agree w/ the guys wanting to know her diet. There are so many different things to think about: macros, timing, total cals. You can spend hundreds on supps and if your diet isn't tailored to fit your goals, you won't see the results you want. After she gets the diet in check, I rec. doing some research on Leviathian Reloaded or possibly the ECA stack. I prefer the latter.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
In terms of macro nutrian ratio, I'm unsure. I've not put together a diet for a girl in a while.

As a minimum, I always tell people, no matter what their goal is, their life style, to have 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight. MINIMUM. This ensures healthy skin, hair, muscular development. For BB (bodybuilders) it may be of some value to do 1.5-2g per lb of bodyweight. But since that's not the goal for your girl, forget what I jus said!

EFA? Essential Fatty Acids are play an important role in everybodys diet. I've been reading to have 15-16% of total calories allocated to EFA's. Remember that 1g of fat = 6 calories. So if you're calorie needs are 1800calories a day, it works out to be 45g of fat per day. Spread thru 6-8 meals a day, 5g per meal.

In terms of carbs, that's when you work out carb needs. If she's not already into it, get her into oats, basmati rice, sweet potatoe & stuff. slow digesting carbs, low GI carbs are the best. I like to look good all year 'round, so i don't touch 'dirty' carbs much.

I hope i've helped!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
After about 6 weeks of consistancy she wants to see more rapid results.
a big question is "what have her results been in that 6 weeks". Cause if she's lost 8-10 pounds in that time, shes done about as well as she can do safely

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
I disagree, but very slightly. I think you can set a goal to loose 2.5 lbs per wk safely. Some people lose weight easier than others, but I feel like this is a solid and safe goal to strive for.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I disagree, but very slightly. I think you can set a goal to loose 2.5 lbs per wk safely. Some people lose weight easier than others, but I feel like this is a solid and safe goal to strive for.
Not for a reasonably small woman, thats bad advice, plain and simple. To hit 2.5 lbs a week, you are talking 1250 cal a day under maintenance. Maintenance for her with the level of physical activity he's talking about is probably around 2000. so she'd have to be at 750 cal a day for intake. Not a safe intake level unless you are being monitored by a doctor. Even 2lbs a week is iffy for a woman that size, which is why I suggested that if she lost 8-10 lbs in 6 weeks then she is doing well.

Yes a 6 foot tall man who is at 230lbs who does strength workouts 3 days a week and cardio the other 4 could drop 2.5lbs a week reasonably safely, but he also has a maintenance caloric level more than 1200 calories higher. So he's not dipping either as low , or proporionately to total calories as low. For him, he's clipping out 1/3 of his cals off to get there, for her she's dropping 5/8 of her nutrition.

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
Not for a reasonably small woman, thats bad advice, plain and simple. To hit 2.5 lbs a week, you are talking 1250 cal a day under maintenance. Maintenance for her with the level of physical activity he's talking about is probably around 2000. so she'd have to be at 750 cal a day for intake. Not a safe intake level unless you are being monitored by a doctor. Even 2lbs a week is iffy for a woman that size, which is why I suggested that if she lost 8-10 lbs in 6 weeks then she is doing well.

Yes a 6 foot tall man who is at 230lbs who does strength workouts 3 days a week and cardio the other 4 could drop 2.5lbs a week reasonably safely, but he also has a maintenance caloric level more than 1200 calories higher. So he's not dipping either as low , or proporionately to total calories as low. For him, he's clipping out 1/3 of his cals off to get there, for her she's dropping 5/8 of her nutrition.

To lose 2.5 lbs per wk you do NOT have to eat 8750 calories less per wk, but burn 8750 more calories than you consume. She wouldn't have to restrict herself to a 750 cal per day diet. Something along the lines of 1200-1400 calories per day with adequate amounts of cardio will likely produce these results. She is not going to need ANY dr supervision at this level. I am 6 ft and weighed as much as 220 when I cut down to 195 @ 1800-2000 cals per day.

I

Iceman1414

Awards
I appreciate all the educated responses thus far guys. So far, she has lost five pounds...I think that is a great idea for her to set up a weak long food log. It was under my recomendation that we start out with portion control for her daily diet. Years ago, she had a problem with anorexia and I am trying to help show her how to be "healthy" not just "skinny". With that said Her goal at 5'5 with a curvy figure is to be around 120 lbs. I am trying to tell her that it will take time and consistency but she was wanting a solid supplement to help keep the motivation there for her as well as give a kick in continuing in the right direction...I know some guys I train with take Phenterdrene P57
for contest prep. Have you all heard of this? Does it work? Anything better? If you all have any more questions about her I will try our best to answer them.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To lose 2.5 lbs per wk you do NOT have to eat 8750 calories less per wk, but burn 8750 more calories than you consume. She wouldn't have to restrict herself to a 750 cal per day diet. Something along the lines of 1200-1400 calories per day with adequate amounts of cardio will likely produce these results. She is not going to need ANY dr supervision at this level. I am 6 ft and weighed as much as 220 when I cut down to 195 @ 1800-2000 cals per day.
You just made my point. "adequate" amounts of cardio to make that caloric difference would be on the order of 1-1.5 hours a day to make the difference from 750 to 1300. Its just the math of it. For her to make a 450-650 cal a day difference in cardio, thats what it will take.

You are a 6 foot tall male, not a 5'5" female. For you with serious lifting and cardio, maintenance would be around 3300 For her maintenance is more like 2100. Use a BMR calculator, do the math. I don't disagree that you could do that reasonably safely, just that she can't. Giving her the belief that she can just endangers her, and makes her more likely to loose motivation and in the end fail. She's probably looking at loosing close to twice as much weight as you did, she needs to have realistic goals she can work at over time, because its going to take her quite a few months to do that.

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree completely. The initial poster should look on some other sights....many will state that 2 lbs is the best, but she certainly is not putting her life in danger by going for 2.5. According to the other opinion my maintenance is 3300 and hers is 2000. I felt fine at 1800 w/ weight training and cardio and had a tremendous amount of success. Her body is much smaller than mine and it requires much less to safely fuel it each day. If she eats about 1400-1500 per day and does 20-30 mins of moderate intensity cardio she'll be at a deficit of over 1000. That'll put her at a loss of over 2 lbs per wk. I've had a ton of success and I hope she does as well. Best of luck.

Topfueljunkie

Topfueljunkie

Awards
Have you looked into clen and or t3 ? Similar to an ECA stack but more powerful. That should work wonders for fat loss if she can stand the jitters and stimmed feeling.

I

Iceman1414

Awards
I’m not familiar with clen or t3...I have been bodybuilding for 9 years now and my one and only goal has been to gain mass so the weight loss is a new area to me. What is clen or t3? I know when she would take 2 pills of Phenterdrene P57 in divided doses like it said it still made her feel horrible and nauseated for the day. I don’t know if p57 is similar to clen or t3 or not...I guess like us all she wants something’s that works but does not have a lot of sides and is safe for a woman to take. She wants something more hardcore than hydroxycut...

Topfueljunkie

Topfueljunkie

Awards
Clen is short for Clenbuterol. See this link for more info : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catclen.htm

T3 is a powerful thyroid hormone. See this link for more info : http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/catcytomel.htm

Search around the forum here as there are plenty of threads on how to run them stacked for great results when diet and excercise are already in check. Definitely do some reading up on these first before using them as they (especially the T3) can have some undesireable effects if abused or misused. But above ALL else ('cept safety of course) get a GOOD diet nailed down and TRACK THOSE CALORIES (might be surprised how much she is eating) for good results. A bad diet will ruin most all fat loss efforts despite the use of powerful drugs.

kjkriston

kjkriston

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Interested to see how this all works out as my wife has the same problem. Hard work with little results makes her not want to continue to try. Its a vicious circle for her. We tried t3 and clen in the past. She couldnt deal with the clen but the t3 did work. To the amount of like 18 lbs for her in just over two months. But now we are "trying" so she doesnt want to mess with any hormones which I totally agree with. I am very interested in Leviathan though...all I have heard is great things.