Dropping BF.. need help

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Ok I've been trying for 3 years now to get abs, I finally now got them to show in Augest. My diet is almost perfectly clean, meals balanced and spread out thru the day, only fats I have are from nuts and oats, won't eat or drink anything with over 2g sugar. Current supplements are.. ON whey and glutamine, I mix the oats in shakes before and after workouts. I do weights for about a hour and a half everyday, sunday off cuz I've hit each bodypart twice by then.. after that I do a hour of cardio on either treadmill or bike, then I do abs. No matter what I do I can't lose that last bit to make my abs show without flexing. Also I can't lose the last bit of fat on my chest or stomach.. any ideas? Thanks for the time.

drksun

drksun

Banned
Awards
  • Established
you could try an anti-cortisol like 7-keto, or other dhea metabolites for the belly fat, or topical Yohimbine.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Dude shorten up your workouts, splits should not take more than an hour. Also by doing an hour of cardio you are teaching your body to store a little fat. Try doing sprints a few times a week for 10-15 minutes.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Dude shorten up your workouts, splits should not take more than an hour. Also by doing an hour of cardio you are teaching your body to store a little fat. Try doing sprints a few times a week for 10-15 minutes.
Teaching it to store fat? I never thought of that.. how should I change my workout then? PM me if you need.. would keeping my normal weight workout then doing 15 min sprints 3-4 days a week work maybe?

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
you could try an anti-cortisol like 7-keto, or other dhea metabolites for the belly fat, or topical Yohimbine.
I'm 15 so I'm not old enough for a anti cort like that right? What would be a good topical yohimbine product tho?

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yeah its hard to think about cardio actually make giving you a little gut, but look at a marathon runners build compared to a sprinters build, marathon runners are like a skinny fat. IMHO I would say at 15 do a full body lifting routine 3 days a week, sprints or other cardio 3 non lifting days a week, and get one full day where you don't do anything.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Ya your right about the sprinter/runner builds. I might try what you said.. only problem will be not working out everyday lol but thanks for your time. I'm gonna start doing the sprints 3 times a week starting Monday.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You do abs everyday? If that's the cae I'd cut it back to 2-3days/week. I agree beeing in the weight room that often for that long prolly isn't the greatest Idea either. Have you thought about fasted cardio?

As far as sprints go they used stored energy as it's an anerobic activity, you'll burn calories but not from fat, so I dont really see the rationing there. Maybe a combo of both which is referd to as H.I.I.T cardio. Alot of people use it an swear by it for staying lean.

BTW The marathon runner's I know are ripped to shreds. Yea they may only be 135lbs at 5'8", but none the less ripped to shreds.

R

RockMam

Awards
honestly heres how I see it, you probably need to do different workouts with your abs so they just pop the hell out. Now this is just what I do, not saying you should do it, it is very hard. Its a old school abwheel with a twist I made for it, after you perform 25 reps in how many sets you do, try other ab workouts and see if you can even complete them.

Get a curl bar, and put 2 * 25 lbs. weights on, make sure the weight plates are round and you have collars for each end.

What you want now is a backpack, and make sure its sturdy. Now throw some rocks in there/ or bricks and metals, or weights. To keep the stuff in the there good, use a towel to strattle and wrap it up in the bag.

Make sure the book bag is tight on you.

Now perform the this ab wheel on your knees and extending your body out.

Once you are fully out use your abs to pull yourself in, if you used to cheat on the ab wheel, you wont be able to cheat with the weight on your back.

I started out with 20 lbs, then to 50 lbs, then to 60. Thats where I keep it at now. 25 reps is probably the most you will ever need to do, do more if you feel like it.

I have trained for years, and this is the only workout honestly that have gave me killer abs.

After you do this workout do other ab workouts to see if you can tape it off. If you cant, do lower back workouts to complete your core.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
honestly heres how I see it, you probably need to do different workouts with your abs so they just pop the hell out. Now this is just what I do, not saying you should do it, it is very hard. Its a old school abwheel with a twist I made for it, after you perform 25 reps in how many sets you do, try other ab workouts and see if you can even complete them.

Get a curl bar, and put 2 * 25 lbs. weights on, make sure the weight plates are round and you have collars for each end.

What you want now is a backpack, and make sure its sturdy. Now throw some rocks in there/ or bricks and metals, or weights. To keep the stuff in the there good, use a towel to strattle and wrap it up in the bag.

Make sure the book bag is tight on you.

Now perform the this ab wheel on your knees and extending your body out.

Once you are fully out use your abs to pull yourself in, if you used to cheat on the ab wheel, you wont be able to cheat with the weight on your back.

I started out with 20 lbs, then to 50 lbs, then to 60. Thats where I keep it at now. 25 reps is probably the most you will ever need to do, do more if you feel like it.

I have trained for years, and this is the only workout honestly that have gave me killer abs.

After you do this workout do other ab workouts to see if you can tape it off. If you cant, do lower back workouts to complete your core.
That sounds interesting.. I'll try that out Monday.

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
You do abs everyday? If that's the cae I'd cut it back to 2-3days/week. I agree beeing in the weight room that often for that long prolly isn't the greatest Idea either. Have you thought about fasted cardio?

As far as sprints go they used stored energy as it's an anerobic activity, you'll burn calories but not from fat, so I dont really see the rationing there. Maybe a combo of both which is referd to as H.I.I.T cardio. Alot of people use it an swear by it for staying lean.

BTW The marathon runner's I know are ripped to shreds. Yea they may only be 135lbs at 5'8", but none the less ripped to shreds.
Well if you add it up I do 1000 crunches everyday.. then stuff for obliques. What if I do a normal 40-60 min of cardio mon,weds,fri then tues,thurs and sat do 15 min sprints? I'm still confused with the H.I.I.T could you give me a link or something so I could figure it out?

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
I listened to a podcast yesterday with Charles Poliquin, the strength & conditioning coach.

he was saying that abs should only be directly trained every 5 days, since they get worked pretty well when doing other things (correctly) like deadlifts, squats & bench pressing.

i find that i work my abs when I do things like hammer curls & carble cross overs, since I need to stabilize my torso...

That is ONE insane ab exercise with the wheel. I"m a little tempted actually to give it ago.....arrrrg!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Well if you add it up I do 1000 crunches everyday.. then stuff for obliques. What if I do a normal 40-60 min of cardio mon,weds,fri then tues,thurs and sat do 15 min sprints? I'm still confused with the H.I.I.T could you give me a link or something so I could figure it out?
Are you kidding me? 1000/day?

That is the equivalent of curling a little pink dumbell 1000/day.

Personally, I think that if you are doing enough heavy compounds, your abs get worked enough. Try front squats, slow elevated pushups while keeping your form tight, even strict curling will 'work the abs'.

If you have to work them, work them like any other muscle, hold increasingly heavier plates to increase resistance in the 8-10 rep range, but for god sakes stop doing what you are doing, as obviously its not working. All you are doing is increasing endurance of them ie getting better at crunches, not growing them.

Try doing planks, front and sides, holding for 60s and work up to 3 mins after a workout, you don't need to make a day of it.

X

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's a.k.a. High Intensity Intervel Training. Here's some good info.

http://sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=621

Def cut down that volume for abs. Try some heavy rope crunches and weighted leg raises so you can only complete 10-12 reps.

I spoke with Poliquin the other night. The man knows his stuff, he's a straight shooter and doesn't push any b.s. just to get paid. Really down to earth

C

ctrivedi

Awards
Maybe I'm the exception, but I was running 7 mi a day and I stored no fat (and that's not genetics because I'm naturally a mesomorph). I'm also in my 30's so my metabolism is far slower than it was a decade ago...

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Maybe I'm the exception, but I was running 7 mi a day and I stored no fat (and that's not genetics because I'm naturally a mesomorph). I'm also in my 30's so my metabolism is far slower than it was a decade ago...
I'm with you on this one. I am THE meso & when I start cutting I throw a whole lot of running in. Usually 3-4km's. Not sure how many miles that is, but i'm assuming it's less than your effort. I'm in my mid 20's, So i guess that's where we're different.

Do you know if many people (at all) ever change their body type? for example, will I ever be an ecto, for example?

C

ctrivedi

Awards
I'm with you on this one. I am THE meso & when I start cutting I throw a whole lot of running in. Usually 3-4km's. Not sure how many miles that is, but i'm assuming it's less than your effort. I'm in my mid 20's, So i guess that's where we're different.

Do you know if many people (at all) ever change their body type? for example, will I ever be an ecto, for example?
Although most would likely say body type cannot change, I'd disagree -- it may be unlikely for an ectomorph to become an endomorph, but even at an empirical level, most people know someone who use to be naturally thin in high school and became quite the opposite later on in life... see britany spears :rofl:

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for all the responses.. it's a lot of help. I'll drop the crunches alot considering what you guys said. I'll start backing off so much on the abbs.. I thought it was working because it wasn't until I was doing 1000 a day that they started showing. I changed my cardio to, now every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday I go run for 30 min then on all the other days I'll just go for a long walk as a cool down from my workout for example. Is that good?

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Another idea you may want to consider, is to go for half an hour work, or more, before you have breakfast. This will speed up your metabolism & thus help you towards your journey of lowerin' your BF!!!!!

B

Blake100

Awards
Yes, that's right!
I usually go for an hour long walk by the river...

It's very relaxing. I usually get my breakfast in the bag, and eat it out, while it's still fresh. After that i'm ready for the rest of the "today's" battles :)

wrasslin116

wrasslin116

Awards
  • Established
Ya thats kind of what I've been doing, I'm about to tryout jogging for 30 min before breakfast and school everyday.. then 3 times a week run for 30 min after my workout.