lose weight

mjaguilar10

Awards
hey there guys well i was 280lbs in september and i am currently at 263lbs. i am lookin for any help on what kind of diet i can go on to get to my goal of 235lbs??? and also what supplements if any can i take to help me out.....:type:

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Losing weight is simple, not overly easy at times, but simple enough.

What does your diet look like now?

Do you workout (much) now?

Overall, if you really wanna lose fat (& retain muscle) I highly recommend reducing your carb intake. Having (something like) 1g of carbohydrate per lb of bodyweight & 1.5g of protein per lb of body weight.

Eating 6-8 meals a day will speed up your metabolism & thus burn the fat!

One element that ya gotta do, no matter what, is do cardio. It depends on your current situation how much & how often. if your startin' out, 3 x 20 minute sessions of low intensity cardio sessions (like setting the tredmill to a speed of 5 & an incline of 2) or gentle cycling...

Hope i've given you some good food for thought

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I find that sort of like with workout routines, its worth it to take a week off every so often too from trying to loose weight. being below maintenance calories for a long time does slow down losses, but having a week of being a little above every few months does wonders.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
Scivations Cut Diet (you can get a free ebook in their forum) and Twin Peaks (Design Supps member) Carb Cycling diets are both sound and produce results. I would highly recommend either for a cut. They both help retain muscle as well.

I'll even do the work for you,
::: Scivation Books :::

I don't think the Carb Cycling Diet has been listed here although it's been talked about. You can easily find it by doing a google search for Carb Cycling Diet Twin Peak. It's on another forum, so I don't want to link it.

As far as supps, Here are my favs
1. Some type of stim/fatburner - ECA stack is #1, but something like Leviathan, RPM, R4W, or Scorch would work as well.
2. TTA type product such as DCP
3. Sesathin
4. For Topical, I'd suggest NAPALM or Lipoderm Ultra from Avant.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
A mate of mine has lost a lot of fat from 'the cutting diet', there's a big emphasis in the ebook, about losing fat & not so much scale weight, since according to the scale, you could lose fat &/or muscle & the scales wouldn't know the difference.

bludevil

bludevil

Awards
  • Established
A mate of mine has lost a lot of fat from 'the cutting diet', there's a big emphasis in the ebook, about losing fat & not so much scale weight, since according to the scale, you could lose fat &/or muscle & the scales wouldn't know the difference.

Yeah I ran it last summer with good success. I only lost 8lbs in scale weight, but lost 6% body fat.

banderbe

Awards
I've cut fat fine without traditional cardio.

If you do a fat loss routine like Afterburn or one of the fat loss routines from the book New Rules of Lifting, created by Alwyn Cosgrove and written by Lou Schuler, you will be getting plenty of cardio from the workout alone.

The best workouts for fat loss utilize higher reps, reduced rest periods and make use of supersetting - precisely what Cosgrove prescribes. The workouts will kick your ass.

And frankly, cardio sucks. There's nothing remotely fun about spinning your legs on some retarded machine.

And even then, aerobic cardio for fat loss is nearly worthless. If you have to get on one of those machines, do HIIT instead.

But, as I said the fat loss workouts are basically HIIT with weights.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
Light weight - high reps and low-intensity cardio

Treadmill no fun? Go on the bike. Bike no fun? Run outside. Too cold outside? You're a p***y

Cardio CAN be fun, especially when you see progress and start setting PR's. I find cardio PR's a lot more satisfying than lifting PR's. Get into a routine and build from there. Progress on a day when something good happened or you're in the mood to kick it up.

Most of all, do it for yourself. There IS such thing as a runner's "high", and once you get into a routine of running you're not only gonna drop a lot of weight but you're gonna start looking forward to it.

As far as diet, the other guys got it right. moderate-Low carb, low fat, high protein

banderbe

Awards
Light weight - high reps and low-intensity cardio
That goes against everything I have ever read on effective fat loss programs.

Heavy weight to increase protein turnover. You want to increase metabolic activity through stress on your system. You do that by supersetting unrelated exercises, lifting heavy and keeping rest periods short.

And as Alwyn Cosgrove- and many other fat loss experts have said, low intensity cardio for fat loss is nearly worthless. The only situation it might be worthwhile to do low intensity cardio is AFTER interval training or a fat loss oriented workout in which fatty acids have been mobilized and are in the blood stream ready to be burned off.

MESSPLAY

MESSPLAY

Awards
  • Established
I meant the opposite there...

HIIT training/heavy weight/low-rep sets

It was early... forgive me :blink:

what I posted was for toning... :rant:

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Hmmm interesting. I'd never thought of heavy low rep weight training for fat loss.

When I'm cutting in preperation for photo shoot or competition I've always done high rep high setting supersets with small rests, small meaning 20-30 seconds. For me, I think this kicks my metabolism into overdrive. I could be wrong of course. But that's my experience.

let's be honest, cardio CAN be about as excting as a dogs breakfast. but only if you let it. I change cardio around all the time, I never do the same thing two days in a row. Gentle waling one day, quick cycling the next, rowing the next, HIT cross trainer the next then maybe cycling, whatever...juz make it exciting & varied

banderbe

Awards
Hmmm interesting. I'd never thought of heavy low rep weight training for fat loss.

When I'm cutting in preperation for photo shoot or competition I've always done high rep high setting supersets with small rests, small meaning 20-30 seconds. For me, I think this kicks my metabolism into overdrive. I could be wrong of course. But that's my experience.

let's be honest, cardio CAN be about as excting as a dogs breakfast. but only if you let it. I change cardio around all the time, I never do the same thing two days in a row. Gentle waling one day, quick cycling the next, rowing the next, HIT cross trainer the next then maybe cycling, whatever...juz make it exciting & varied
Alwyn's workouts for fat loss start with high reps, fifteen or so. You do workout A, workout B, repeat and then you lower the reps, increase the weight and shorten the rest period. A typical fat loss routine lasts four to six weeks. By the end you're typically doing 6 to 8 reps, with 30 seconds of rest or less. He also picks the most cardiovascularly taxing exercises like squat, deadlift, lunge, bulgarian split squat, etc. and of course every exercise is a compound movement.

The book New Rules of Lifting has three Fat Loss workouts by Alwyn, each progressively more intense. Continually lower reps, heavier weights and eventually no rest whatsoever. Grueling stuff I'm sure. I'm only about to finish Fat Loss I.

Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete

Awards
Alwyn's workouts for fat loss start with high reps, fifteen or so. You do workout A, workout B, repeat and then you lower the reps, increase the weight and shorten the rest period. A typical fat loss routine lasts four to six weeks. By the end you're typically doing 6 to 8 reps, with 30 seconds of rest or less. He also picks the most cardiovascularly taxing exercises like squat, deadlift, lunge, bulgarian split squat, etc. and of course every exercise is a compound movement.

The book New Rules of Lifting has three Fat Loss workouts by Alwyn, each progressively more intense. Continually lower reps, heavier weights and eventually no rest whatsoever. Grueling stuff I'm sure. I'm only about to finish Fat Loss I.
That's quite a good approach to cycling resistance training. I hear things like that approach & think of guys at my gym who
do the same thing week in, week out & don't actually appear to change, very much, if at all.

As Charles Poliquin once said, as well as trillions of other people, have said, the more you learn, the more you earn.:run: