You can Measure Body Fat

1. Registered User

Thumbs up You can Measure Body Fat

You can calculate your body fat with a body fat calculator. Your doctor or someone at your gym can help in body fat calculation since it usually requires equipment and skills. This is the age of the internet and you can find several of these calculators online. They may not be 100% accurate, but they will be relevant. Some of them are:

* Body fat from circumference - this is used by the U.S. Navy and gives you a measure of body fat based on the dimensions of your body parts
    * Body fat and body mass index - your body fat is estimated from your body mass index
    * Body fat from skin fold - body fat estimated from skin fold sites
    * Female athlete body fat - body fat estimated from skin fold sites, age, and weight for female athletes. you can also share you suggestion and comments here :dl:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

2. Registered User

Mmmm, measuring BF is certinly a tricky process, since there are a lot of variables in play.

I"m not a big fan of the BMI (mody mass index), since it doesn't take muscle into consideration, just height & weight. Same as measuring the circumference. A 23* arm could be fairly fat OR really muscular. The measuring tape doesn't know the difference.

An accurate way of testing, so i've heard, is measuring your bodyweight underwater, since there is less gravity in play.

As far as calipers...see the trash can next to you? Pick up those cheap & nasty callipers & throw 'em away, they'll tell you anything if their used by an inexperienced tester, like most things of course!

Yours in good health
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  176 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
    As far as calipers...see the trash can next to you? Pick up those cheap & nasty callipers & throw 'em away, they'll tell you anything if their used by an inexperienced tester, like most things of course!

Yours in good health
    calipers are maybe not the most accurate but they serve a purpose.

even if you are inexperienced and measure wrong, it can still be a good gauge as long as you continue to measure the same wrong way each time.

all you need to know is if you improved from your last measurement.
    •   

4. Registered User

Hank, your right. They do serve a purpose.

I suppose a good way to use calipers, is to take measurements of the right regions 4-5 times then take the average measurement, that way you get a decent idea idea of where the subject is!

My apologies!
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

Hank, your right. They do serve a purpose.

I suppose a good way to use calipers, is to take measurements of the right regions 4-5 times then take the average measurement, that way you get a decent idea idea of where the subject is!

My apologies!
    Ideally a 7 point test is better than a 5 point, which is better than a 3 point, which is better than a bodyfat scale which is only slightly better than a kick in the nuts.

Who really cares tho. Just go until you like the way you look.

X
  6. Registered User

For me, the best way to tell if I need to lose some BF, to look at myself in a mirror in a well lit room.

Hey, how do those scales work that tell you your BF by standing on them? Is it really just electrical pulses thru the feet?
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"   lbs.

For me, the best way to tell if I need to lose some BF, to look at myself in a mirror in a well lit room.

Hey, how do those scales work that tell you your BF by standing on them? Is it really just electrical pulses thru the feet?
    I agree, go by how you look.

The scales are inaccurate. It is really dependent on hydration levels.

X
  8. Registered User

Thank you for everyone, who are all join this conversation and your suggestion, very informative and worth, i have a doubt calipers are good or not good, it will tell right information or not. please give correct information, hope you will give response this, thanks a lot
  9. Registered User

I have calipers and find them very useful. Regardless of whether or not they are entirely accurate, they do help me track progress as to whether or not I'm heading in the right direction. I use the combined measure from 4 points to assess BF% [back of arm, front of arm, back (skin fold below shoulder blade), and abdomen (above hip bone)]. Make sure a chart and handbook come with the calipers before ordering. I ordered mine on Amazon. They were about $20 or so. Also, it's tough (if not impossible) to measure by yourself so you'll need someone else to assist.

I also agree with the previous posts. If you don't like what you see in the mirror then you're not where you need to be no matter what a caliper measure says. A mirror image is a good litmus test as to whether or not you need to add cardio, change your weight training program, tighten up your diet, or all three.

Stay at it, the results will come!!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. What would you guess my Body Fat % to be?
    By use2Bfat in forum General Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2014, 09:44 AM
  2. Most Accurate Way To Measure Body Fat From Home?
    By gward in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 09:10 AM
  3. how do YOU measure body fat percentage?
    By soontobbeast in forum Supplements
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-29-2009, 07:59 AM
  4. Self-Measuring Body Fat
    By Beau in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-11-2006, 09:58 PM
  5. proof that you can build a disproportionate upper to lower body
    By OmarJackson in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 11:04 PM