HELP with cutting Bf while maintaining my currant mass.

Ostlund

Ostlund

Awards
I am looking for help on cutting the extra BF while maintain my muscle mass.
I have been doing more cardio but still am not losing that extra Bf on my stomach . I have been thinking about taking Anabolic Pump and stacking it with my hydroxycut hard core.
I am 22 m
5'8 215lbs at 17% bf

This is my diet for the past that I have been sticking to while making variation every now and then.
Meal 1:
1 cup oats
1 banana
1.5 scoop Whey
Meal 2:
1/2 cup oats
1 tbs. peanut Butter
Chicken breast / Fish / Turkey
Meal 3:
1 apple or pear
2 tbs. Peanut Butter
Meal 4:
2 cups veggies
1 apple
Meal 5:
1 apple
1/2 tbs Flax
1.5 scoop Whey
Meal 6:
1 scoop Casein Whey
1/2 tbs Flax

my goal is 210, at 10% Bf

Any suggestions?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
Try only paring protein+fat or protein+carbs together this little adjustment alone has made a big difference for me, protein+fat+trace carbs (veggies) is fine though. A buddy of mne got me ontot his and i really like it. Also drop all the fruit unless eaten post workout the rest of the time eat only low glycemic carbs and lower your starches, also add fish oils at 20g's+ daily. I would also suggest anabolic pump 3 times daily before your highest carb meals as well as PowerFull, before your workout and before bed to increase GH output and encourage fatloss+muscle gain.

Ostlund

Ostlund

Awards
I was reading an article on fish oil and weight loss. Does the Fish Oil really work? also for a post meal, what do you suggest on eating.
by pairing meals do you mean each meal make it only Protein+Fat and Carbs+Protein?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I was reading an article on fish oil and weight loss. Does the Fish Oil really work? also for a post meal, what do you suggest on eating.
by pairing meals do you mean each meal make it only Protein+Fat and Carbs+Protein?
Yes fish oil helps and i mean each meal is going to be either carbs+protein will very little to NO fat or fat+protein no carbs. For post-workout waxy maize+whey isolate. In your case a banana and 2 scoops whey isolate.

Ostlund

Ostlund

Awards
Yes fish oil helps and i mean each meal is going to be either carbs+protein will very little to NO fat or fat+protein no carbs. For post-workout waxy maize+whey isolate. In your case a banana and 2 scoops whey isolate.

OK I see what you’re saying now. As far as cardio to weight training ratio goes. what do you suggest? I have went from 5 days a week weight training to 3.Now I am doing 5 of cardio day with the weight training intermingled with it. Is this an appropriate ratio for leaning myself out?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
OK I see what you’re saying now. As far as cardio to weight training ratio goes. what do you suggest? I have went from 5 days a week weight training to 3.Now I am doing 5 of cardio day with the weight training intermingled with it. Is this an appropriate ratio for leaning myself out?
I'd do interval cardio 3 times a week for 20 minutes, so sprint full out till failure, walk till your recover then sprint again, you do this for the whole 20 minutes. Do this on your off days, then on training days 30 minutes of moderate intensity cardio with your heartrate around 140-150bpm should be good.

Warriorz

Awards
Are you sure you don't mean Carbs + EFA's? I always thought that outside of postwork protein + carbs encouraged fat storage....

beebab

beebab

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure you don't mean Carbs + EFA's? I always thought that outside of postwork protein + carbs encouraged fat storage....
Not at all. Your body needs carbohydrates steadily throughout the day to refill muscle glycogen and liver glycogen stores for energy. There is no specific time at which carbohydrates are stored in the muscle versus when they are stored as fat. To prevent carbs being stored in adipose tissue, be sure to eat no more than around 60g at a time. Arrange your meals so that you eat your carbs during the first part of the day and around your workout time, then have protein and fat closer to bedtime. The reason behind this is that as your metabolism slows at night, high carb meals are more likely to be stored as fat. But carbs will not encourage fat storage, as long as you don't pig out throughout the day and stick to eating healthy carbs that are lower on the GI. It's when you eat more carbs than can be stored as muscle glycogen that the residual carbs spill over into adipose tissue for later use.

As for the fats you eat, you need more than just a blend of EFAs. Do not cut them out because they are important, but your body needs saturated fats as well. Saturated fats increase your HDL (good) cholesterol, though they may increase LDL proportionally if you overeat, and also decrease lipoprotein count . Your body also needs a proper balance of saturated fats to metabolize omega 3s and other healthy fats, so eat your egg yolks, chicken breast, beef, etc.

To0l8er

To0l8er

Awards
What are good EFAs? and when is the best time to have them? because im about where the guy is who is trying to cut but not lose the mass. and ive been trying to figure everything else out with nutrients and my workouts because ive been doing nothing but mass and strength for the longest time. this is my 1st time really paying attention to mainly what i put into my body and im not saying i ate like **** before because i didnt. i just wasnt measuring out the right amount my body needs. so ya again what are the good EFAs and when should you have them?

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
What are good EFAs? and when is the best time to have them? because im about where the guy is who is trying to cut but not lose the mass. and ive been trying to figure everything else out with nutrients and my workouts because ive been doing nothing but mass and strength for the longest time. this is my 1st time really paying attention to mainly what i put into my body and im not saying i ate like **** before because i didnt. i just wasnt measuring out the right amount my body needs. so ya again what are the good EFAs and when should you have them?
Essential Fatty Acids, more commonly know at Omega-3s or DHA and EPA. These are available from a small number of sources, including certain species of cold water fish and flax seed. Fish is a better choice than flax because of a physiological conversion process that occurs. It is also available in capsule form as fish oil (or Omega 3) capsules from Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. Many capsules come with 1 gram of fish oil. Of that, generally 180mg is EPA and 120mg DHA. Studies have shown that, in the presence of fish oil, plasma DHA levels saturate around 1.2g per day which makes ~10 capsules per day near optimal. Many people attempt to take 2-3 caps per meal. I generally take 5 in the AM and 5 in the PM.

To0l8er

To0l8er

Awards
Essential Fatty Acids, more commonly know at Omega-3s or DHA and EPA. These are available from a small number of sources, including certain species of cold water fish and flax seed. Fish is a better choice than flax because of a physiological conversion process that occurs. It is also available in capsule form as fish oil (or Omega 3) capsules from Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. Many capsules come with 1 gram of fish oil. Of that, generally 180mg is EPA and 120mg DHA. Studies have shown that, in the presence of fish oil, plasma DHA levels saturate around 1.2g per day which makes ~10 capsules per day near optimal. Many people attempt to take 2-3 caps per meal. I generally take 5 in the AM and 5 in the PM.
so with those EFA's when i eat, should i try to avoid as much fat as possible since im getting a the right kinda fat? or is the amount of fat that from those not sufficient enought?

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
so with those EFA's when i eat, should i try to avoid as much fat as possible since im getting a the right kinda fat? or is the amount of fat that from those not sufficient enought?
Not necessarily. The fat that you are attempting to avoid putting on is the fat stored as adipose tissue, or more commonly, body fat. DHA and EPA make up only *very* small amounts of adipose tissue as they are stored primarily in cell membranes and are highly abundant in organs including the brain, retina and other neural tissue. So no worries on it contributing to overall body fat.

As far as fat intake, a good rule of thumb and generic guideline is that 1/3rd of your daily intake should come from each polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats. Saturated fats are the most unhealthy and generally end up as adipose tissue (body fat) if not oxidized.

To0l8er

To0l8er

Awards
Not necessarily. The fat that you are attempting to avoid putting on is the fat stored as adipose tissue, or more commonly, body fat. DHA and EPA make up only *very* small amounts of adipose tissue as they are stored primarily in cell membranes and are highly abundant in organs including the brain, retina and other neural tissue. So no worries on it contributing to overall body fat.

As far as fat intake, a good rule of thumb and generic guideline is that 1/3rd of your daily intake should come from each polyunsaturated, monounsaturated and saturated fats. Saturated fats are the most unhealthy and generally end up as adipose tissue (body fat) if not oxidized.
see that **** is what is a bitch because im never use to measuring out meals and ****. thats hard as hell for me because its like i said the 1st time i started to try and cut sum fat. I talk to friends who are minimal body fat or who know what they are doing because they dont have good genes and have to measure out what they are intaking. is there easier way then literally measuring it out or like getting the right amount in ur system or do i really have to do it this way because it is REALLY time consuming. and i rather have the gym and cardio be my source of time consumption.

To0l8er

To0l8er

Awards
lol hahah ya i know, THAT those is a pain in the ass! i hate it!!! i rather put all that hard work in the gym not not in the kitchen lol

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
is there easier way then literally measuring it out or like getting the right amount in ur system or do i really have to do it this way because it is REALLY time consuming.
Well, you are going to have to have some fundamental understanding of what foods contain various levels of Carbohydrates (CHO), FAT and Protein (PRO).

And you'll need to know approximately what total daily calories you require to be at "maintenance" (i.e. neither gaining nor losing weight.)

Then you are going to have to determine how insulin sensitive you are, or what you are referring to as "good genes." In simplistic terms, some people handle CHO relatively well and their body will process them efficiently. These people tend to more heavily weight their diet with CHO at the expense of FAT. Others are insulin resistant and the CHOs will not be processed efficiently, instead converting and storing them as adipose tissue. These people tend to more heavily weight their diet with (good) FAT at the expense of CHO.

After that it becomes trial and error as you change variables in an effort to optimize your diet.

There are website like fitday.com that are very useful for tracking total calories and macronutrient breakdown. While this will take work the first week or so, it becomes easier once you get used to it.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
lol hahah ya i know, THAT those is a pain in the ass! i hate it!!! i rather put all that hard work in the gym not not in the kitchen lol
Diet is key! There are many programs that will assist in building muscle or oxidizing fat, but achieving your goals can't be done without a solid diet. You will probably be suprised that the amount of time you put in the kitchen will end up being more important that what you do in the gym. (Provided your training method is not stooopid.)

To0l8er

To0l8er

Awards
Diet is key! There are many programs that will assist in building muscle or oxidizing fat, but achieving your goals can't be done without a solid diet. You will probably be suprised that the amount of time you put in the kitchen will end up being more important that what you do in the gym. (Provided your training method is not stooopid.)
i understand that, i mean if majority of my time is in the kitchen and it benefits i must do it because i do have a goal i want to reach. but how can my work outs i guess be stupid? elaborate on that?

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
i understand that, i mean if majority of my time is in the kitchen and it benefits i must do it because i do have a goal i want to reach. but how can my work outs i guess be stupid? elaborate on that?
Do you see people who come to the gym day in and day out ...week after week ...month after month ...year after year ...and they never seem to make any progress or very little progress toward their goals? Gyms are full of these people the world over. If you are a normal, healthy individual, training, whether for mass gain or weight loss, is based on (1) diet, (2) training protocol or program, (3) rest/recuperation, and (4) supplementation, if needed.

People who don't achieve their goals typically are missing in one or more of those areas. If your diet is on target and you are getting sufficient rest/recuperation and not achieving your goals, then the training protocol is off. For example, if you are looking to gain mass, sitting in a corner doing dumbbell kickbacks and concentration curls all day isn't going to do much for you. And, in fact, it is stupid because you're just wasting time. However, if you focus on compound movements (squat, bench, dead lift, pull-ups/chin-ups, dips) and add weight to the bar over time, you will gain mass.

To0l8er

To0l8er

Awards
Do you see people who come to the gym day in and day out ...week after week ...month after month ...year after year ...and they never seem to make any progress or very little progress toward their goals? Gyms are full of these people the world over. If you are a normal, healthy individual, training, whether for mass gain or weight loss, is based on (1) diet, (2) training protocol or program, (3) rest/recuperation, and (4) supplementation, if needed.

People who don't achieve their goals typically are missing in one or more of those areas. If your diet is on target and you are getting sufficient rest/recuperation and not achieving your goals, then the training protocol is off. For example, if you are looking to gain mass, sitting in a corner doing dumbbell kickbacks and concentration curls all day isn't going to do much for you. And, in fact, it is stupid because you're just wasting time. However, if you focus on compound movements (squat, bench, dead lift, pull-ups/chin-ups, dips) and add weight to the bar over time, you will gain mass.
ya you are right about that, i feel to an extent i am one of those people and i dont want to be. i dont have a problem getting stronger or gaining the mass, ive been doing it since i was in high school and since the 1st day i started lifting. ive always been able to get stronger and bigger but for some reason it didnt feel right. like in football always underestimated bout my strength and size, in college my freshman yr, i jumped up to 215 and i was so happy about that but i never was satisfied bcuz to me i didnt look right or feel right bcuz i never tried to get lean or get cut. i appreciate you sharing what you know on this matter, it is very helpful. im really going to focus on my dieting. i see that is what is critical aspect for me and i need to get on that. thanks man. very much appreciated. :You_Rock_Emoticon: