How much BF in a week?

jCoonan

Awards
How much Bf is safe/normal to loose in a week of cutting? I'm trying to plot out a plan of action. I train 3x a week full-body and 30mins of HIIT 2x a week.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
I would say a healthy goal is to lose 1.5-2lbs. Anymore then that and you will be losing muscle. Keep in mind if you are very over weight then those numbers can change. I have seen really fat people lose 5lbs/week but they are not worrying about sparing muscle loss. If you are already slim, around 15% BF and want to cut down to 9% or so then 5lbs a week = muscle loss guaranteed. Remember 1lb = 3500 calories so if within every day you are at a 800 calorie deficit then that adds up to about 1.5lbs lost per week which is very attainable.

jCoonan

Awards
I'm 6'1/2 230 ish and I don't know my BF. I can see my abs pretty well but the hand BF tester says 18%. I don't think it's that high I would estimate around 15%.

Red Dog

Red Dog

Awards
  • Established
If your tryin to make like a deadline for wrestling or comp or something then you might shoot for 1.5 - 2 like steel said.. if your 15%+ that might be the way to go as well.. otherwise I would go for 1-1.5 -- slow and steady .. I dropped 13 lbs in 8 weeks and I am so happy I did it that way cause I kept nearly all of my musklorz.. :D

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Remember the more muscle you keep the more calories your body burns at rest. Meaning you can eat more food to maintain your current weight :D

Coonan you're starting CKD correct? You're more than likeley gonna drop ALOT of weight in the beginning due to emptying you glycogen stores and losing the water weight that comes with carb consumption.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just started cutting about a week and a half ago. I'm down 1lb, and am extremely happy to see it's not any more than that. If I could lose 1-1.5lbs of fat per week I would be real happy. Slow and steady is the way to go. My diet isn't too intense; I'd probably still be in a calorie surplus if it wasn't for the cardio. I do 45 mins of a fasted cardio before breakfast, and another 15-20 minutes after my lifting in the afternoon.

I had a goal of bulking from 198 to 210 by December, and I hit 218 in November; I put on a decent amount of fat, but the 4-5 lbs of LBM I gained with it was well worth it. I considered bulking to 230, but was afraid of too much fat gain, so I decided on a slow cut.