Discuss.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you are psycho? is that a good discussion point?

you left out quinoa, the ancient indian god of carbs. And I find most fruits in general to also be good, primarily non-citrus. So bananas, pears grapes, berries as well. outside of that, hmm I like whole grain bread but thats cause I need something to make sandwiches on so it doesn't really count. Maybe buckwheat?

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I like Ezekiel bread and cereal and Avant Research's SuperCarb. All are low glycemic and tasty. :food:

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I finally bought some of the ezekiel cereal to keep at work since seeing you + rodja mention it a few times, and it is pretty good. need to buy a box for at home

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It's good stuff, no doubt. I like putting Liquid Sucralose and cinnamon on it.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
People tend to eat way to much bread even if it's considered "good."

I know the 4 sources I listed are the best however. Banana's are wayy to high GI.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All-Bran. There are healthier fiber choices, but I refuse to remove it from my diet.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

I know the 4 sources I listed are the best however. Banana's are wayy to high GI.
hmm interesting, cause banana is between plain sweet potato and sweet potato boiled, and below brown rice as far as www.glycemicindex.com shows.

what about quinoa? or bulgar ?

IainDaniel

Awards
There are tonnes of good carb sources.

Here are some I can think off the top of my head

Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Long Grain Brown Rice
Old Fashioned Oats
Scottish Oats
Fresh or Frozen (w/o syrup) berries
Fruit
Whole Grain Bread
Fiber One
All Bran w/ Extra Fiber
Uncle Sam Cereal
Whole Wheat Pasta
Lentils
Legumes
New Potatoes
Red Potatoes
Pumpkin
Squash
Turnip

As for GI. In reality who gives a .....! unless you are eating sugar by itself, then the GI won't mean squat. As the other foods ingested with the meal will throw that number out the window.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established

Do you know anything about Ezekiel bread?

I consider it a better carb source than whole grain rice.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think there's a lot more to it than glycemic index.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
I think there's a lot more to it than glycemic index.
There's much more to it than GI, in fact, it matters far less what you eat than hitting your daily diet numbers, making the small necessary adjustments each week, and timing your macros (which timing macros probably doesn't matter until single digit BF anyway).

If GI, eating clean, or any of the other nutrition fads out there that authors write about trying to come up with new stuff to fill a magazine were true, I'd be fat. Unless you have some kind of physiological problem going on (thyroid, diabetes, etc.), your body is just not going to break any laws of thermodynamics.

What those types of foods DO for people, is help with satiety, mood, etc. But the overall net effect isn't going to be affected if the diet is kept in check and the necessary adjustments are made...no matter what bodytype you have.

I know I'm probably blaspheming here, but way too many of my overweight clients have gotten super lean by eating things that were not consider clean, or low GI, and blah blah blah. They ate the food they wanted to, hit their numbers every day, I made their adjustments depending on what all happened that week, and we rinsed and repeated. For instance, it's not that you can't have pizza. It's that there might not be enough roon in your daily numbers to have very much of it. But if you can control yourself to limit the portion size to hit your numbers, then hell, eat pizza! After all, the BEST diet is the one that you can stick to. Period. All diets pretty much say the same thing in a different way (they each have their own spinoff and have some random studies to back up their theory). When it comes right down to it, they all are saying the same thing. Eat less and exercise more. The approach you use matters much less than just hitting that "cals in versus cals out". Only when you start to get to single digits (for men, or 12-14% for women), does any of the other crap really matter. And even then, it only *might* make a difference.

Sporto

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
A great carb source are the famous amos Oatmeal Raisin Cookies I am currently feasting upon.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wasa Crispbread is the shizznit. Despite being a decent carb source, I can't eat it.....because I won't stop.

Sir Savage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
SuperCarb- the perfect carb source.

-Bulk with it
-Cut with it
-Carb load with it
-Bake with it.

Discuss.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
SuperCarb- the perfect carb source.

-Bulk with it
-Cut with it
-Carb load with it
-Bake with it.

Discuss.
"Discuss" is my line pal. >=(

Anyways, you left out the 5th part.

-Send CryingEmo a free bottle of it

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here is some food for thought (literally)-oats and brown rice are two of the most acidic foods that are in our diets. Acidosis causes many nasty conditions and is one of the main causes for high cortisol production.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Here is some food for thought (literally)-oats and brown rice are two of the most acidic foods that are in our diets. Acidosis causes many nasty conditions and is one of the main causes for high cortisol production.
Well right now those are pretty much my only carb source's :wtf: o and apples wich are probably the best fruit ever

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I can't afford berries :sad: lol
Yeah, they are kinda pricey. Bananas and raisins are 2 good sources. I know that they are higher GI, but they are also great at neutralizing acidosis. I have been using either a banana or raisins with my oats (sometimes with honey as well) for a while and I have noticed better recovery from using extra oats or non-fruit sources.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been alternating quinoa and the ezekiel cereals (cinnamon raisin + almond) the last few days.

and emo is a poopoo head. Discuss

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, they are kinda pricey. Bananas and raisins are 2 good sources. I know that they are higher GI, but they are also great at neutralizing acidosis. I have been using either a banana or raisins with my oats (sometimes with honey as well) for a while and I have noticed better recovery from using extra oats or non-fruit sources.
Found this.. may or may not be useful or accurate.

http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/Alkaline-Foods-Chart.htm

From that it looks like veggies, legumes and beans, and some nuts are the best to eat, not too surprising, I guess the Scivation crew take this pretty seriously as their diets are a good attempt to increase consumption of the more alkaline foods.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
I don't see the trademark for it.

Discuss.
Perhaps not a trademark, but there may be copyright which subsists in all literary works, and can include things like slogans and tag lines.. and usually they will last for 70 years (even without the little (c) mark accompanying it).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Found this.. may or may not be useful or accurate.

http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/Alkaline-Foods-Chart.htm

From that it looks like veggies, legumes and beans, and some nuts are the best to eat, not too surprising, I guess the Scivation crew take this pretty seriously as their diets are a good attempt to increase consumption of the more alkaline foods.
The Scivation crew is what got me curious about the whole alkalinity/acidity thing. I follow Berardi's list because it has actual rankings and it lists almost everything that is in our diets.

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/bases.htm

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
can't i just eat lots of baking soda instead?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
theres always a downside. it does sound interesting to try tho (the alkaline dieting in general)

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
There's much more to it than GI, in fact, it matters far less what you eat than hitting your daily diet numbers, making the small necessary adjustments each week, and timing your macros (which timing macros probably doesn't matter until single digit BF anyway).

If GI, eating clean, or any of the other nutrition fads out there that authors write about trying to come up with new stuff to fill a magazine were true, I'd be fat. Unless you have some kind of physiological problem going on (thyroid, diabetes, etc.), your body is just not going to break any laws of thermodynamics.

What those types of foods DO for people, is help with satiety, mood, etc. But the overall net effect isn't going to be affected if the diet is kept in check and the necessary adjustments are made...no matter what bodytype you have.

I know I'm probably blaspheming here, but way too many of my overweight clients have gotten super lean by eating things that were not consider clean, or low GI, and blah blah blah. They ate the food they wanted to, hit their numbers every day, I made their adjustments depending on what all happened that week, and we rinsed and repeated. For instance, it's not that you can't have pizza. It's that there might not be enough roon in your daily numbers to have very much of it. But if you can control yourself to limit the portion size to hit your numbers, then hell, eat pizza! After all, the BEST diet is the one that you can stick to. Period. All diets pretty much say the same thing in a different way (they each have their own spinoff and have some random studies to back up their theory). When it comes right down to it, they all are saying the same thing. Eat less and exercise more. The approach you use matters much less than just hitting that "cals in versus cals out". Only when you start to get to single digits (for men, or 12-14% for women), does any of the other crap really matter. And even then, it only *might* make a difference.

Sporto
I agree with hitting the numbers, but disagree that you can eat whatever you want to do so. Things like poor insulin sensitivity can only be exacerbated when Joe shmoe dieter eats a sugary donut for breakfast. There are way more things to take into account like health, and hormone levels. Bad food has alot of bad **** in it also.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
I agree with hitting the numbers, but disagree that you can eat whatever you want to do so. Things like poor insulin sensitivity can only be exacerbated when Joe shmoe dieter eats a sugary donut for breakfast. There are way more things to take into account like health, and hormone levels. Bad food has alot of bad **** in it also.
I humbly disagree with you. The amount of food I'm talking about (wrt say a McDonald's cheesburger) is so small relative to anything else, that if you are hitting your diet numbers, you aren't eating very much of these types of foods at all for there to be any concern about health, insulin sensitvity, etc. You are projecting things that aren't there. Yes, a diet of complete garbage has isues regarding what you stated, but if you are on a diet and hitting your numbers, there's simply not enough room in your daily diet to have the amount of these foods for that to even come into play here.

Way too many "endo" clients of mine purposely save up for something like a McDonald's cheesburger because to them it's like their "cheat meal". First off, they have the will power to only have one. Second, it fits into their numbers and the rest of the foods that they have to eat all day to reach their numbers (lean meat, fish, etc...) is worth it to them to have that cheeseburger. Third, it's psychologically satisfying and keeps them on the diet. Fourth, 1 cheeseburger like that is HARDLY enough to be an issue when considering all other things they are eating with that.

These are people with horrible metabolisms, horrible insulin sensitivity, etc...yet they have the discipline to save up for it. And guess what? The couple of clients that were obese who have dropped significant weight that have done things like this have had their high cholesterol come down while doing it. Why? Cause the amount of the junk they were eating was so small, it was insignificant compared to the bigger picture of them KEEPING THEIR DIET IN CHECK. That was the original point.

But, sounds like you have your mind made up, which is why I humbly disagree with you. Too many of my clients have lost weight and are healthy by using strategies like this to achieve their goals for me to agree wtih you.

But best of luck to you...

Sporto

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did go with some adzuki beans and shrimp for dinner today, i bet they are on the alkaline side

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did go with some adzuki beans and shrimp for dinner today, i bet they are on the alkaline side
Out of curiosity Easy, how did you prep your adzuki beans? I've often sprouted them and put them in salads, but was wondering how other people use them. I've got some soaking right now for some chili I'm about to make, got 4lbs of Extra Lean Ground Beef and 4c. of various beans.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Out of curiosity Easy, how did you prep your adzuki beans? I've often sprouted them and put them in salads, but was wondering how other people use them. I've got some soaking right now for some chili I'm about to make, got 4lbs of Extra Lean Ground Beef and 4c. of various beans.
I had canned ones, so I just panfried up the shrimp with onions + peppers and chicago steak seasoning in a touch of grapeseed oil and added the beans to that pan after, liquid and all. With some soy sauce added. I'd like some more cooking/usage ideas for them too, seem like the least net carbs vs protein beans I can find once you've subtracted fiber.

Minnesota

Minnesota

Awards
Just on the acid side, i think the scivation boys live by that or something at least about the whole acid dieting

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I humbly disagree with you. The amount of food I'm talking about (wrt say a McDonald's cheesburger) is so small relative to anything else, that if you are hitting your diet numbers, you aren't eating very much of these types of foods at all for there to be any concern about health, insulin sensitvity, etc. You are projecting things that aren't there. Yes, a diet of complete garbage has isues regarding what you stated, but if you are on a diet and hitting your numbers, there's simply not enough room in your daily diet to have the amount of these foods for that to even come into play here.

Way too many "endo" clients of mine purposely save up for something like a McDonald's cheesburger because to them it's like their "cheat meal". First off, they have the will power to only have one. Second, it fits into their numbers and the rest of the foods that they have to eat all day to reach their numbers (lean meat, fish, etc...) is worth it to them to have that cheeseburger. Third, it's psychologically satisfying and keeps them on the diet. Fourth, 1 cheeseburger like that is HARDLY enough to be an issue when considering all other things they are eating with that.

These are people with horrible metabolisms, horrible insulin sensitivity, etc...yet they have the discipline to save up for it. And guess what? The couple of clients that were obese who have dropped significant weight that have done things like this have had their high cholesterol come down while doing it. Why? Cause the amount of the junk they were eating was so small, it was insignificant compared to the bigger picture of them KEEPING THEIR DIET IN CHECK. That was the original point.

But, sounds like you have your mind made up, which is why I humbly disagree with you. Too many of my clients have lost weight and are healthy by using strategies like this to achieve their goals for me to agree wtih you.

But best of luck to you...

Sporto
I feel you are expounding differing viewpoints in this post relative to your original, hence the disagreement with CryingEmo. You are espousing, here, the viewpoint that one may eat 'bad' foods in accordance with their intake/expenditure numbers because the amount of 'bad' foods will be so limited that the net effect on Insulin, blood glucose, adipose storage, blood lipids will be so small it will not interfere with overall goals.

However, formerly, whether intentional or not, you did not communicate that. It seemed as if you were relating the viewpoint that one's diet may be solely comprised of such items.

In whatever viewpoint, food quality cannot be ignored, that is a fact. For some of the foods you are speaking of, McDonald's for example, if one simply quantitatively analyzes the food going into their body, you are taking a short-sighted approach. Our bodies are not equipped with mechanisms to fully metabolize some of the garbage inherent within processed food, therefore, one must qualitatively analyze the food going into their body as well.

While I agree intake vs expenditure is what all diets should be predicated upon, there has to be attention to the quality within those numbers. But I suppose you would disagree, and that is fine.

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
I feel you are expounding differing viewpoints in this post relative to your original, hence the disagreement with CryingEmo. You are espousing, here, the viewpoint that one may eat 'bad' foods in accordance with their intake/expenditure numbers because the amount of 'bad' foods will be so limited that the net effect on Insulin, blood glucose, adipose storage, blood lipids will be so small it will not interfere with overall goals.

However, formerly, whether intentional or not, you did not communicate that. It seemed as if you were relating the viewpoint that one's diet may be solely comprised of such items.

In whatever viewpoint, food quality cannot be ignored, that is a fact. For some of the foods you are speaking of, McDonald's for example, if one simply quantitatively analyzes the food going into their body, you are taking a short-sighted approach. Our bodies are not equipped with mechanisms to fully metabolize some of the garbage inherent within processed food, therefore, one must qualitatively analyze the food going into their body as well.

While I agree intake vs expenditure is what all diets should be predicated upon, there has to be attention to the quality within those numbers. But I suppose you would disagree, and that is fine.
I've been dieting for a long time, so I apologize if my posts didn't seem congruent on the same point, or if my wording was such that I wasn't expressing my views clearly on the point I was trying to make.

I agree with you on quality of foods. Absolutely. My main point was that, assuming an optimal diet is laid out and followed by an overweight person with poor genetics, poor insulin sensitivity, etc...the overall numbers (at an obese/overweight level here) are more significant in the big picture than the source of those numbers. I agree with you, and at setpoint or lower, quality makes a far greater impact on results...but the overall objective with overweight/obese people is getting them to hit numbers and staying on the diet. Hell, the reason they are overweight to begin (excluding some physiological disorder) is because of the choices they have made with their eating and exercising habits to begin with. So, if that means allowing them a cheeseburger or something (McDonald's was just an example) so that they can stay on the diet, then so be it. Putting overweight/obese people on a diet cold turkey without any give is the fastest way to make them quit a diet. I have yet to see anything in my experience with overweight clients to indicate something like that having any negative effect on the overall objective because the amount of the "garbage food" is so small relative to all the other quality foods they have to eat to hit the rest of the numbers for that day. That was my point. We are talking about details here that don't really matter near as much to an overweight person as it does to someone at or below setpoint.

So, here's my point:

Overweight poor genetics guy A weights 275lbs. His hypothetical diet is 2500cals with exercise (just for example)

He hits his macronutrient ratios and calories for the day perfect eating all quality foods.

Overweight poor genetics guy B weighs 275lbs also (and for the sake of argument) has exactly the same physiological makeup as guy A. His diet and exercise program are exactly the same as guy A

He hits is macronutrient ratios and calories for the day perfect with all quality foods except 1 McDonald's cheesburger.

So given all things exactly equal for argument's sake (metabolism, hormones, gentics, etc...) does guy A lose any more weight or is any more healthier than guy B? My answer is no. That was my point. And if you disagree, that's ok. My point of view comes from real world, client based, anecdotal evidence.

Again, I apologize for anything that comes off wrong. I'm in diet hell...

Sporto

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Leave Sporto alone. He's depleted, and cannot be held responsible for the things he says due to a lack of glycogen in the brain. :lol:

Sporto

Sporto

Awards
  • Established
Leave Sporto alone. He's depleted, and cannot be held responsible for the things he says due to a lack of glycogen in the brain. :lol:
Somebody post me a cracker quick!

Sporto