Cardio or not? less or more?

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Need as many answers as I can to make right decision

Hi, im 37, 5'10", 147 pounds with a good physique. Im very confused on whether I shoud be doing cardio to get my stomach flat. Reason Im saying is that I have a lean build obviously but i want to keep my stomach flat and have my abs show as much as they can and It seems that even with a great diet and workout routine with no junk food, eating whole foods, protein, etc, it all goes to my stomach the older I get. And Im not ablet to see my abs. So my question is am I breaking down muscle by doing HIIT cardio 3 days a week for 20 mins as I dont really ever gain and my abs dont seem to show or should I be sticking to more cardio to keep my stomach flat? Im so confused whether cardio is the way or do I need to eat more and work out harder with no cardio to slim down?
Thanks

heltzelfitnes

Awards
doing your current work out for cardio ( the HIIT ) and adding in some weighted ab work outs and maybe change up the cardio to 10minutes of HIIT 4 to 5 times a week... and changing up your ab work out as well... should keep your stomach "flat" and start pushing out the wash board abs... but just a thought... keep whatever you're doing and adjust it

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Part of the question is whether your bodyfat % is rising, or just placement is changing. As lean as you are, you might want to try the combination of the cardio as you suggested with a slightly below maintenance calories, and use something like Avant's Napalm or another topical to help liberate the fats.

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Wow, im really confused. Another forum I was told eat more, and do more cardio...this one Im being told the opposite?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you have extra fat in an area, i'm not sure how raising your intake helps that in the long run. Using a topical fat releaser with a slightly below maintenance gives you at least the chance to remove some of that.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
If you are going below maintenance cal's, then start taking BCAA's, especially before cardio + fasted cardio. Xtend is a great product. I use it all the time.

It will help you hold onto muscle during a cut by helping to prevent catabolism especially during cardio. I wouldn't eat more, You can eat smaller portions, but more frequently to keep the metabolism moving.

SpikeDC

SpikeDC

Awards
Im using XPAND, is that same or different?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Different products. Xpand is a blend of different products and looks like a blend of creatine/arginine + bcaa's (but only 3 grams or less of BCAA's in it per serving)

Xtend can be used at anytime, but definately in large amounts before cardio or before workouts, to ward off catabolism. I take around 20-30 grams of BCAA's before my workouts while sipping some mixed with water throughout my workout (maybe another 10-15grams). I then have another 25grams after my workout, along with 20grams of whey + some creatine. During the day I mix Xtend in all the water I drink and sip it nonstop. You might not need to be so extreme with the servings, but mega-dosing BCAA's creates an anabolic environment and is definately a good thing when keeping calories lower.

Xtend also has citruline malate in it, but I would also add taurine on the side, great combo.

Xtend (1070 grams) By Scivation

Bulk BCAA's + citruline malate + taurine is another alternative.

ITHURTZ

ITHURTZ

Awards
  • Established
How "great" is your diet? Track your normal daily intake on fitday.com (free) and lets see your fat/carb/pro %

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are going below maintenance cal's, then start taking BCAA's, especially before cardio + fasted cardio. Xtend is a great product. I use it all the time.

It will help you hold onto muscle during a cut by helping to prevent catabolism especially during cardio. I wouldn't eat more, You can eat smaller portions, but more frequently to keep the metabolism moving.
Don't take BCAA's before your fasted cardio! It will convert to glucose via glucogenesis. Only take Leucine pre-cardio. It's the only amino that won't convert to glucose. A good stack pre-cardio is...

On an empty stomach in the morning:
1. 5g Leucine
2. 2-3 capsules of PowerFull
3. 2.5-5mg of Yohimbene
4. 200mg of Caffiene

After cardio, slam some Xtend and Beta-alanine.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Don't take BCAA's before your fasted cardio! It will convert to glucose via glucogenesis..
This is only true under extreme exertion. I guess it all depends on how intense and/or long your cardio sessions are.

I think the basic idea behind short HIT cardio sessions are the benefits you receive after your workout. I would not think glycogenesis would continue when you are no longer heavily exerting yourself...yet the body should continue to burn calories, mostly after the workout as well.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Don't take BCAA's before your fasted cardio! It will convert to glucose via glucogenesis. Only take Leucine pre-cardio. It's the only amino that won't convert to glucose. A good stack pre-cardio is...

On an empty stomach in the morning:
1. 5g Leucine
2. 2-3 capsules of PowerFull
3. 2.5-5mg of Yohimbene
4. 200mg of Caffiene

After cardio, slam some Xtend and Beta-alanine.
BCAA's are generally taken with the following recommended partitioning:

Leucine 2 parts
Valine 1 part
Isoleucine 1 part

If you go by that protocol, adding a BCAA rather than just Leucine would mean 2.5g each of Valine and Isoleucine - hardly much glucose conversion from that amount if you are in a fasted state.

I think the idea of yohimbe and caffine is a good pre-cardio stack. But go easy on the yohimbe until you evaluate the side effects.

To the OP, lots of confusion concerning this as much of it relates to individual physiology. Bottom line is that you are going to have to experiment to see what works best for you.

As ITHURTZ suggested, post up your diet because that's the next logical place to start looking.

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BCAA's are generally taken with the following recommended partitioning:

Leucine 2 parts
Valine 1 part
Isoleucine 1 part

If you go by that protocol, adding a BCAA rather than just Leucine would mean 2.5g each of Valine and Isoleucine - hardly much glucose conversion from that amount if you are in a fasted state.

I think the idea of yohimbe and caffine is a good pre-cardio stack. But go easy on the yohimbe until you evaluate the side effects.

To the OP, lots of confusion concerning this as much of it relates to individual physiology. Bottom line is that you are going to have to experiment to see what works best for you.

As ITHURTZ suggested, post up your diet because that's the next logical place to start looking.
You can buy bulk Leucine and take only that.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can buy bulk Leucine and take only that.
Sure, you could. Yet, you would get significantly more of L-Leucine benefits, if not just the other BCAAs, but also the other EAAs are present.