Some Advice For A Large Person Please?

someperson05

Awards
Hello. Well, I'm a 16 year old male, 6 foot 6 inches tall and weigh a good 270 pounds. I really want to cut off some of the fat I have on this body and at the same time still be building muscle if possible. Atleast maybe just keeping the muscle I have. The best information I can seem to find for losing weight is to have the 15/15/70 ratio for fat/protein/carbs. That sounds fine to me and I have information for the suggested intake of servings per food group. Like 6-11 servings of limited complex carbs, etc. I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips on really how to find out about how many servings I need. I'm not sure on how many servings I should intake a day considering my size over the average person. I've always wondered how to negotiate things considering I'm larger, or if it really makes that much of a difference. My basal metabolic rate alone is 2400 and I'm rather active, exercising atleast 2 hours a day. My weight has been at a stand still, and I'm pretty sure its my eating habits which have been pretty crappy to say the least.

Just a recap:
How many servings of each food group should I get? (Limited Complex Carbohydrates,Vegetables,Fruit,Lean Protein,Dairy Foods, and whatever else.)
Any other information that would help me lose body fat.
Also I love tuna, but I heard something that it would be bad to eat too much of it, so I was just wondering if that was true.

Thanks for any help you can give me. It will be greatly appreciated.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Hello. Well, I'm a 16 year old male, 6 foot 6 inches tall and weigh a good 270 pounds. I really want to cut off some of the fat I have on this body and at the same time still be building muscle if possible. Atleast maybe just keeping the muscle I have. The best information I can seem to find for losing weight is to have the 15/15/70 ratio for fat/protein/carbs. That sounds fine to me and I have information for the suggested intake of servings per food group. Like 6-11 servings of limited complex carbs, etc. I was just wondering if anyone could give me tips on really how to find out about how many servings I need. I'm not sure on how many servings I should intake a day considering my size over the average person. I've always wondered how to negotiate things considering I'm larger, or if it really makes that much of a difference. My basal metabolic rate alone is 2400 and I'm rather active, exercising atleast 2 hours a day. My weight has been at a stand still, and I'm pretty sure its my eating habits which have been pretty crappy to say the least.

Just a recap:
How many servings of each food group should I get? (Limited Complex Carbohydrates,Vegetables,Fruit,Lean Protein,Dairy Foods, and whatever else.)
Any other information that would help me lose body fat.
Also I love tuna, but I heard something that it would be bad to eat too much of it, so I was just wondering if that was true.

Thanks for any help you can give me. It will be greatly appreciated.
15/15/70?? Where did you read that?

Most shoot for 40/40/20 (P/C/F) as a start and adjust from there.

Sign up for fitday and track EVERYTHING that goes in your mouth. Make adjustments as you go. Take weekly pictures of yourself, stay off the scale except weekly. With newb gains, you will be going through some recomposition where your 'weight' will stall periodically and all the scale is going to do is depress you.

Eat 6-7 times/day to keep your metabolism going.

Personally, I make sure that I get all of my protein from good sources and find that the macros sort of 'fall in line' as long as I hit my protein requirements 1.5g/lb of BW.

Post up your diet and people will make some suggestions.

What does your current training look like?

X

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't know where you're reading about 15/15/70, I have NEVER heard of that. I strongly suggest switching to 20/40/40.

How OFTEN do you eat? The best thing to do is to eat smaller portioned meals frequently (usually 6 meals per day). This will allow you to take in energy as you use it, instead of storing some for later.

What are you doing for your 2+ hours of exercise per day? If that's at the same intensity I think of, that's WAY too much of an expendature, and you're putting your body into emergency storage mode.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In a word-vegetables. The more you eat, the cleaner you diet will be and the less kcals you will consume.

someperson05

Awards
Wow thanks.

My exercise is I guess medium intensity. Its enough to make me sweat but not really to get me tired. That is what the two hours consist of. Before that I'll have either high intensity or low intensity depending on what I'm practicing, for around 30 minutes. My exercise extends from my martial arts classes. Also I'll be adding a calisthenics and dynamic strength session to my exercise, so that'll push the time up some more, not sure by how much though. So all in all it might end up at 3 hours, which might be too much...I don't really know.

Xodus what do you mean by BW? At the end of your statement on protein "1.5g/lb of BW".

I was kind of jumping in to this whole diet thing beginning this week and just needed some clarification before I started. Having a balance between protein and carbs makes a lot more sense to me so I'll go with that.

Thank you for the information and anymore will again be appreciated.

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
Wow thanks.

My exercise is I guess medium intensity. Its enough to make me sweat but not really to get me tired. That is what the two hours consist of. Before that I'll have either high intensity or low intensity depending on what I'm practicing, for around 30 minutes. My exercise extends from my martial arts classes. Also I'll be adding a calisthenics and dynamic strength session to my exercise, so that'll push the time up some more, not sure by how much though. So all in all it might end up at 3 hours, which might be too much...I don't really know.

Xodus what do you mean by BW? At the end of your statement on protein "1.5g/lb of BW".

I was kind of jumping in to this whole diet thing beginning this week and just needed some clarification before I started. Having a balance between protein and carbs makes a lot more sense to me so I'll go with that.

Thank you for the information and anymore will again be appreciated.

My suggestion is that if you are just starting this diet and exercise program.....take it easy. This doesn't mean that you have to spare intensity or drive in the gym, but I think 3 hrs of training is highly excessive. If I'm lifting on a day....I do 20 mins of HIIT cardio after. If I'm doing cardio only training I like medium intensity at 30-40 mins. Don't jump in too far too fast. I think this is how a lot of people burn themselves out.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It helps to find a pre-set diet out there, and conform to it, that way the choices are already made for you. Same applies to exersize programs

someperson05

Awards
Thanks again but I'm also wondering as to what I should eat. I have a list of foods but I mean I have no idea how to put them together through out the day or the etc. So if anyone could refer me to a specific meal plan somewhere and just share theirs with me that would be great.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Thanks again but I'm also wondering as to what I should eat. I have a list of foods but I mean I have no idea how to put them together through out the day or the etc. So if anyone could refer me to a specific meal plan somewhere and just share theirs with me that would be great.

You should really research on your own for the 'what and the why' of what you are putting in your body.

Here are a few good links to get you started.

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=1222

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=12811

http://forums.johnstonefitness.com/showthread.php?t=19229

Also, after you determine your BMR and calculate your 'maintenance cals', use that number to build your meal plans.

Drop it 500 cals/day to cut or add 500 cals/day to bulk. That will be ~1lb/week in either direction depending on your goals.

Recalculate your BMR often enough to take into account weight loss/gain.

Once you have your required cals, look into something like Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle (you can find it on torrent sites if you're broke) for some additional thoughts/ideas.

It should help you with meal planning.

As far as things to eat, in no particular order:

Chicken Breast
Turkey
Shrimp
Brown Rice
Tuna
Broccoli
Spinach
Salmon
Eggs/Egg Whites
Whole Grain Breads
Whole Grain Pasta
Lean Beef (rinsed hamburger or loin/round)
Oatmeal (Not instant or flavored)
Whey/Casein
FF Cottage Cheese
Natural Peanut Butter
Almonds
Nut Butters
Blueberries
Walnuts
Pumpkin
Squash
Beans (some)
Milk (FF or Whole, depending on macros/tolerance)
etc.

Basically anything that is on the outside aisles of the grocery store.

Spices/Condiments:
Mustards
Relish
Mrs Dash
Hot Sauces

Stay away from:
Soda
White Bread
White Rice
Most Sauces
Fast Food
Most Fruits (for right now)
Corn
Candy
Soy
Ketchup
Mayo
FF Yogurt (tons of sugar)
Chips
Pizza
Pre-made foods
Plus a bunch of other things that you've probably been eating.

Also, get yourself some fish oil caps and a decent multivitamin.

Stay away from 'supplements' beyond whey/casein right now.

Most importantly, you need to EAT and eat often. You need to keep your metabolism going all day long. The first thing in the morning till right before you go to bed.

Start researching and putting together a sample day's meals and post it up and we can help adjust it.

Use fitday.com and create custom foods for whats available for you from the nutritional data on the package (if available).

Build out your menu a day or two in advance and stick to it, at least until you get the hang of it. Eventually you will 'know' what, how much and when you need to eat stuff.

Or if that is too much of a hassle, just do what I do and eat the same thing day in and day out. Takes the guess work out of it, but it is monotonous and boring.

X

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
Here's the meal plan that I'm currently following while attempting to cut:

Breakfast 4:00am.-
4 Egg Whites, 2 Whole Eggs, 1 cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Scoop Whey in water.

Snack 7:30am-
2 Scoops whey in 8-10 oz skim milk, 1 oz nuts

Lunch 12:00pm-
Skinless/boneless chiken breast (Foreman grilled), small salad or 1 cup greens, 1 slice whole wheat honey oat bread

Snack (pre-workout) 3:30pm-
1 scoop whey protein in water or 8-10oz skim milk, 1 scoop cell tech creatine in 8 oz water

Post-Workout 7:00pm-
2 scoops whey protein in water, 1 scoop cell tech creatine in 8 oz water.

Dinner 7:30-7:45pm-
8 oz fish (usually tuna), 2 cups salad w/ lite Italian dressing

Pre-Bedtime Snack 9:00-9:30-
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

While trying to cut, I try to taper carbs and eliminate them completely within 5 hours of bedtime. Always drink adequate amounts of water. My daily intake is around 2 gallons. Best of luck to you with your goals.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Go here

http://www.cutdiet.com/

And download the e-book. This is from Scivation. Their president Marc Lobliner and a few of the other team members regularly log their own progress here. They are great guys, and this is a pretty specific diet plan. they have others as well.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Here's the meal plan that I'm currently following while attempting to cut:

Breakfast 4:00am.-
4 Egg Whites, 2 Whole Eggs, 1 cup oatmeal (dry), 1 Scoop Whey in water.

Snack 7:30am-
2 Scoops whey in 8-10 oz skim milk, 1 oz nuts

Lunch 12:00pm-
Skinless/boneless chiken breast (Foreman grilled), small salad or 1 cup greens, 1 slice whole wheat honey oat bread

Snack (pre-workout) 3:30pm-
1 scoop whey protein in water or 8-10oz skim milk, 1 scoop cell tech creatine in 8 oz water

Post-Workout 7:00pm-
2 scoops whey protein in water, 1 scoop cell tech creatine in 8 oz water.

Dinner 7:30-7:45pm-
8 oz fish (usually tuna), 2 cups salad w/ lite Italian dressing

Pre-Bedtime Snack 9:00-9:30-
1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese

While trying to cut, I try to taper carbs and eliminate them completely within 5 hours of bedtime. Always drink adequate amounts of water. My daily intake is around 2 gallons. Best of luck to you with your goals.
How much do you weigh though? This kid is 270# and seems pretty active aerobically. I think he would starve on that.

His BMR is 2400, with high aerobic output (2400 x 1.725)

He needs ~4100 cals just to 'maintain'.

X

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
How much do you weigh though? This kid is 270# and seems pretty active aerobically. I think he would starve on that.

His BMR is 2400, with high aerobic output (2400 x 1.725)

He needs ~4100 cals just to 'maintain'.

X
I weight 200, but he asked for peoples diets so I gave him mine. Naturally if he's 270 he's gonna need to add some to that, but I don't believe he's looking to maintain....he's looking to loose weight. I see exactly where you're comin from...just trying to give him a base.

someperson05

Awards
I've heard bad things about the mercury or something in tuna, is that something that I should be cautious about?

Edit: Also if a 3000~3500 calories looks like what I've been seeing, thats a lot of food compared to what I've ever eaten. ((Could explain why I'm so tired sometimes.)) But thats expensive to buy all that food. If anyone could give me pointers on how to eat THAT much food and keep it cheap that would be awesome.

EX:
Note : The 4000 calorie diet would be for maintenance I suppose so 3500 or so is what I would go for.
Eating 6-6 oz chicken breast a day only yields 270 grams of protein and I need over 400 a day.
Then 400 grams of carbohydrates and the over 60 grams of fats.
Thats a ridiculous number compared to what I've always eaten and mind-blowingly expensive.
The curse of being big I suppose.
Please if there is some magically cheap healthy foods to eat that would be great to know.

Last edited:
Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
I've heard bad things about the mercury or something in tuna, is that something that I should be cautious about?

Edit: Also if a 3000~3500 calories looks like what I've been seeing, thats a lot of food compared to what I've ever eaten. ((Could explain why I'm so tired sometimes.)) But thats expensive to buy all that food. If anyone could give me pointers on how to eat THAT much food and keep it cheap that would be awesome.

EX:
Note : The 4000 calorie diet would be for maintenance I suppose so 3500 or so is what I would go for.
Eating 6-6 oz chicken breast a day only yields 270 grams of protein and I need over 400 a day.
Then 400 grams of carbohydrates and the over 60 grams of fats.
Thats a ridiculous number compared to what I've always eaten and mind-blowingly expensive.
The curse of being big I suppose.
Please if there is some magically cheap healthy foods to eat that would be great to know.
3500 cals would be a good place to start, assess after a few weeks and adjust.

It IS a lot of food, but its CLEAN food. What were you eating before? Doritos, Mac and Cheese, Whoppers and Soda? You didn't get that big eating like a bird. You just chose calorically dense foods.

Do the same here, just better choices. Peanut Butter, Olive Oil and Almonds have a ton of calories(good fats) per serving. Just make it fit your macros.

I found I respond a little better to lower carb/high protein & fats so my macros are 40/30/30.

Here is what I am eating now on WO days, sometimes its less, sometimes its more (and I am trying to grow):

I change up the foods every month or so (or when I find meat specials) and I am dropping my carbs down to get in the mindset for the Anabolic/Metabolic Diet.

When I first started eating clean, I thought I was going to puke it was so much food. You have to work up to it. The important part is the frequency, get your metabolism going and in a few weeks, you WILL be hungry, just like clockwork.

Supplement with whey to help meet your protein goals, liquids are much easier to pound down and 'fill in' the remaining space in your stomach over whole foods. Yeah, whole foods are ideal, but unless you have a whole cow and a chicken coop around, it ain't easy and sometimes you just don't want to chew.

As far as cost goes, Buy in Bulk. Get a Costco card, Super Targets have some smoking deals on bulk too, no membership required. I get 5 dozen eggs/week for $6.19. I buy tubes of 5# fatty (73% lean) hamburger for $11, cook it and rinse it repeatedly. Generic Oatmeal tastes like Quaker Oats when you have it with Blueberries and Strawberry Whey. Buy rice at natural food stores from the bulk bins, natural nut butters can be had at Whole Foods and the like (cashew butter kicks ass BTW).

I buy my meats that are near expiration (nearly 50% off) and cook them all when I get home (Sunday is a good time to look for 'old meat'). Buy big Round roasts and slice it into 'steaks' instead of pre-cut, cheaper per lb price.

Shop around for meat sales and clip coupons.

I buy 10# bags of On Whey, trueprotein also gives bulk discounts.

I think the most expensive thing I eat is the Fat Free Cottage Cheese, Organic Milk and protein powder.

I think it costs me ~$60/week for ALL of my meals, plus my regular household stuff. Every 1-1 1/2 months I make large protein orders. I could probably get that cost down even further, but my time is more valuable.

While I know I could eat a whole lot cheaper with Subway and 99 cent Double Cheeseburgers, it wasn't good for the body. Look around and walk into McDonalds and see what every one else is eating, what do they look like?

Initially for your weight, shoot for 300g of protein for the day.

That's 50g per feeding, hit that first and foremost, have it with every meal. Fill in the rest with either carbs or fats. Try to get your carbs in the beginning of the day, not the end. Fats are good to slow down protein digestion, hence Cottage Cheese and PB just before bed.

One more random question, how big is your wrist? That will say a lot about your bone structure and will help you determine your ideal weight.

I hope that helps...

X

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
Fitday is an awesome tool for anyone who wants to keep their diet clean. The only thing i don't like about it is entering the specs in on all the food i eat....but if you're eating clean you should have a pretty good base of items in your customized foods. I would def recommend trying it out....it's free.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Fitday is an awesome tool for anyone who wants to keep their diet clean. The only thing i don't like about it is entering the specs in on all the food i eat....but if you're eating clean you should have a pretty good base of items in your customized foods. I would def recommend trying it out....it's free.
Yeah, its a pain getting it set up, but if you don't shuffle brands around, you only have to do it once.

I wish they would add some sort of 'grouping' function, where I create custom 'meals' and just select the meal instead of the individual items. I suppose I could make 'custom foods' that have the nutritional profiles of the combined foods and just use those solely. :think:

It ain't bad for free though!

X

larue38462

larue38462

Awards
That'd be nice.....I take it you're using the online version instead of the pc version.....I use the online one myself, but I can't honestly say I know if there's that big of a difference between the two.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, its a pain getting it set up, but if you don't shuffle brands around, you only have to do it once.

I wish they would add some sort of 'grouping' function, where I create custom 'meals' and just select the meal instead of the individual items. I suppose I could make 'custom foods' that have the nutritional profiles of the combined foods and just use those solely. :think:

It ain't bad for free though!

X
I think some of the others do let you do that, I can't recall which. sparkpeople maybe?

someperson05

Awards
Thanks. All this information will be so useful. I had no idea where to start. It is greatly appreciated.

Oh and my wrist is roughly 7 3/4" around.

Edit: Oh I also was wondering about multi-vitamins and the like. Considering I'm much larger than the average person, for a supplement would I benefit more by taking more than the recommended. Like if it says take 2 maybe take 3. Just wondering.