Nobody using 40\40\20 anymore?

jhferry

Awards
I thought that was the diet most of you guys were using on this board. I need to cut and was looking for something to follow.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I usually do 50/30/20 (Protein, Carbs, Fat) whether I'm bulking or cutting. Especially when I'm cutting. Gotta keep protein intake high to help prevent catabolism.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
depends on how you respond to it. Its always a good place to start. If it doesn't work, analyze why, and adjust your macros as necessary. Your activity level, type of foods eaten etc will all play into a diet more so than a simple ratio.

jhferry

Awards
How about protein before bed? I keep reading to stop eating close to bed but to take that whey. Most whey proteins are over 100 calories so how close to bed do you guys hit the whey?

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
I used to drink a casein protein shake before bed. I would think whether bulking or cutting, a protein shake before bed wouldn't be a bad idea.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
How about protein before bed? I keep reading to stop eating close to bed but to take that whey. Most whey proteins are over 100 calories so how close to bed do you guys hit the whey?
Whey is actually not the best protein before bed because it is absorbed too quickly. That's why it's the best post workout protein. Casein protein is better before bed. It's absorbed more slowly and it's also more expensive than whey.

However, if cutting is your goal, you might want to consider BCAAs. Whether bulk or as part of a BCAA drink, they can help fight off catabolism at night without all the calories you get in a protein shake. I just dissolve bulk BCAAs in water (tastes nasty, but oh well) right before bed. I've heard of other guys downing some BCAAs in the middle of the night if they get up to pee.

Good luck on your cut!

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Whey is actually not the best protein before bed because it is absorbed too quickly. That's why it's the best post workout protein. Casein protein is better before bed. It's absorbed more slowly and it's also more expensive than whey.

However, if cutting is your goal, you might want to consider BCAAs. Whether bulk or as part of a BCAA drink, they can help fight off catabolism at night without all the calories you get in a protein shake. I just dissolve bulk BCAAs in water (tastes nasty, but oh well) right before bed. I've heard of other guys downing some BCAAs in the middle of the night if they get up to pee.

Good luck on your cut!

FF Cottage Cheese with Natural PB is a good source of Casein. The fats in the PB help slow down digestion as well.

BCAA's prior to bedtime are a good suggestion as well.

X

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
I thought that was the diet most of you guys were using on this board. I need to cut and was looking for something to follow.
It's just a starting off point. Most guys will tweak it depending on thier own requirements and goals.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
FF Cottage Cheese with Natural PB is a good source of Casein. The fats in the PB help slow down digestion as well.

BCAA's prior to bedtime are a good suggestion as well.

X
Good point. Cottage cheese is actually a cheaper way to get some good casein protein in before bed. As a supplement, I've always thought casein powder was a little overpriced. But you've got a couple ways you could go with this.

PumpingIron

Awards
  • Established
casien and skim milk honestly has a pavlov response in me and puts me to sleep. I've been drinking it before bed for a few years straight.

KingMeso

KingMeso

Awards
  • Established
casien and skim milk honestly has a pavlov response in me and puts me to sleep. I've been drinking it before bed for a few years straight.
Could that be because most proteins have L-Tyrosine in them (I think it's L-Tyrosine. If not, it's the same amino acid that's in turkey)?

For some reason, I feel tired after drinking a protein drink. Hmmm...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could that be because most proteins have L-Tyrosine in them (I think it's L-Tyrosine. If not, it's the same amino acid that's in turkey)?

For some reason, I feel tired after drinking a protein drink. Hmmm...

you are thinking tryptophan

Irish Cannon

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just keep my protein at about 400g+ no matter whether I'm cutting or bulking, and adjust the carbohydrates and fat accordingly.

As for food before bed...cottage cheese, ftw! I've been eating a tub of it every night for the last 4 years.