cardio for weight loss/ muscle maintanence

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
I'm currently doing a few weeks of fat loss and am running 30 minutes (about 3.5 miles) during the morning, 3 times a week.

My buddy just told me that I should be doing intense sprints, followed by light jogging, then more sprints, jogging etc. for only 20 minutes....

which sounds better for losing fat and maintaining as much muscle as possible????

(assume I have the right caloric intake, etc.)

Thanks!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
HIIT cardio is great for fat loss, but you need to eat or you will breakdown muscle. I like it because it is a shorter time and not nearly as boring. I cannot do long distance jogging on a treadmill anymore, I have to go outside for my cardio.

Marcinator

Marcinator

Awards
no, not eating breakfast beforehand....just getting up and running. So with the shorter, more intense workouts I should eat first???

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
no, not eating breakfast beforehand....just getting up and running. So with the shorter, more intense workouts I should eat first???
Yes, the higher the intensity, the more your body relies on glucose for fuel. When there is not any glucose present in the blood, your body breaks down protein to supply glucose through gluconeogenesis.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
It will be hard to maintain muscle if you do HIIT on an empty stomach. Some fuel it in a similar way to a regular lifting workout.

If you are doing it first thing in the morning, keep it low-moderate intensity, and a protein shake before hand, or some bcaas.

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The style of cardio really depends on the individual. I personal like morning moderate cardio on an empty stomach. Really helps with fat loss or keeping fat gain to a minimum when I'm upping calories.

EctoPower

EctoPower

Awards
  • Established
All good stuff here. I like HIIT and it is the best way to get the good effects from cardio without sacrificing muscle. You do need some cals beforehand and I do a post-cardio shake with whey, glutamine, and bcaas to make sure the muscle stays intact.

Reps for Rodja.