fasted cardio questions

  1. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4375
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    45.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    fasted cardio questions


    When should someone go from dieting alone to fasted cardio?
    I am not a big fan of vanilla cardio so want to skip that, although later on if I feel I need more cardiovascular health I might trade in some fasted sessions for more intense carb fueled sessions.
    Should it be asap, or when I start losing less then 2lbs a week or less than 1lb a week. I wanna reach my goals quickly.

    And for when I start:
    How hard should I push myself, should I be taking into consideration the possibility of passing out, is it a brisk walk or a light jog?
    Is it ok to do fasted cardio every day of the week or 6 days of the week or should I do it every 2nd day?

  2. Professional Member
    bitterplacebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,372
    Rep Power
    1778
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Fasted cardio would definitely be beneficial to start for when the progress of dieting along begins to slow.

    For the pace, a brisk walk to light jog does well because most energy is utilized from fat stores at that pace, plus it won't eat your muscle tissue like more intense cardio will.

    You can do it everyday for ~30 minutes. Then if progress slows again increment the time by 5 minutes, but don't go much about 45 minutes. If you need you can probably do 2 sessions some days. If you're feeling especially tired some days, as long as it's not everyday, it's ok to skip it and let yourself rest.
  3. New Member
    KSMA's Avatar
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    184
    Rep Power
    183
    Level
    11
    Lv. Percent
    72.95%

    perfect answer.. You always have good info.
    •   
       

  4. New Member
    waimoku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

    There are a lot of threads on this subject. I just asked some questions on it myself in this recent thread: POWERFULL before fasted AM Cardio

    Although this thread is talking more about some supplements to use with fasted cardio, maybe it will give you some more things to think about.

    As for the intensity, there are many people who feel an even keel approach is right for fasted cardio and other who think HIITS is the way to go. I tend to be in the middle, mostly low-mid intensity cardio with a portion of the time spent on HIITS (15 minutes of the 45).
  5. Board Supporter
    joecski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    509
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    7.99%

    Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    Fasted cardio would definitely be beneficial to start for when the progress of dieting along begins to slow.

    For the pace, a brisk walk to light jog does well because most energy is utilized from fat stores at that pace, plus it won't eat your muscle tissue like more intense cardio will.

    You can do it everyday for ~30 minutes. Then if progress slows again increment the time by 5 minutes, but don't go much about 45 minutes. If you need you can probably do 2 sessions some days. If you're feeling especially tired some days, as long as it's not everyday, it's ok to skip it and let yourself rest.
    Great answer, the only thing I would add is that from my personal experience - for me - I like incline treadmill work. It burns more calories than flat. So, I usually shoot for 20 minutes in the 8-12% incline and 10 minutes warm up/cool down if doing 30 minutes. I keep my heart rate under 70%. Seems to be most effective form of fasted cardio for me.
  6. Board Supporter
    joecski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    509
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    7.99%

    Quote Originally Posted by waimoku View Post
    There are a lot of threads on this subject. I just asked some questions on it myself in this recent thread: POWERFULL before fasted AM Cardio

    Although this thread is talking more about some supplements to use with fasted cardio, maybe it will give you some more things to think about.

    As for the intensity, there are many people who feel an even keel approach is right for fasted cardio and other who think HIITS is the way to go. I tend to be in the middle, mostly low-mid intensity cardio with a portion of the time spent on HIITS (15 minutes of the 45).


    I won't do HIIT in a fasted state, just scared I guess! However, I missed my morning cardio today and did a HIIT session about an hour after lunch, it was quite a change and very pleasant actually. Felt a big elevation in my mood. I alomst always do morning fasted cardio, I may have to change that up a bit...
  7. Professional Member
    bitterplacebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,372
    Rep Power
    1778
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by joecski View Post
    Great answer, the only thing I would add is that from my personal experience - for me - I like incline treadmill work. It burns more calories than flat. So, I usually shoot for 20 minutes in the 8-12% incline and 10 minutes warm up/cool down if doing 30 minutes. I keep my heart rate under 70%. Seems to be most effective form of fasted cardio for me.
    Yeah, I like the incline tread for a brisk walking pace, too. But usually I don't like taking time to go to the gym, since I know I'm going to get hungry real quick after not eating. If you have your own treadmill that does that, then I guess you're fortunate, but a weighted back pack is a good substitute, so you can just wake up, put it on, and go outside for your fasted cardio. For the weight you can use things like gatorade bottles or milk jugs filled with water. Or sand if you have it.
  8. Professional Member
    bitterplacebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,372
    Rep Power
    1778
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    I'm cautious of the HIIT in a fasted state, too. The way I think is that it increases your metabolism for probably most of the day, so you don't really need to do it in a fasted state.
  9. New Member
    SureShot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    478
    Rep Power
    365
    Level
    18
    Lv. Percent
    4.77%

    the best cardio is no rest between set fullbody workouts or sprints...bar none.
  10. Board Sponsor
    rpen22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,702
    Rep Power
    11094
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    13.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    Yeah, I like the incline tread for a brisk walking pace, too. But usually I don't like taking time to go to the gym, since I know I'm going to get hungry real quick after not eating.
    Agreed. I just bought a treadmill about a week ago for my fasted cardio during contest prep. It makes it waaay easier than having to get up and get to the gym right away.
  11. Board Supporter
    joecski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    776
    Rep Power
    509
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    7.99%

    Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    Yeah, I like the incline tread for a brisk walking pace, too. But usually I don't like taking time to go to the gym, since I know I'm going to get hungry real quick after not eating. If you have your own treadmill that does that, then I guess you're fortunate, but a weighted back pack is a good substitute, so you can just wake up, put it on, and go outside for your fasted cardio. For the weight you can use things like gatorade bottles or milk jugs filled with water. Or sand if you have it.
    I was doing a lot of hiking/backpacking for a while a few years back. I did fasted morning cardio on a 10% incline at 2.5MPH with a 40 pound pack on my back. At the end of 30 mins I'd be completely destroyed and soaking wet. However, I did climb to the top of Grinnell Glacier in Glacier Nat'l park that summer, and that was my goal. It only took like 3 hours up and 1.5 down, would have been quicker but we got detoured around grizzly bear activity, main route was closed.
  12. Elite Member
    Force of Green's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5,531
    Rep Power
    149923
    Level
    56
    Lv. Percent
    30.08%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

    Quote Originally Posted by bitterplacebo View Post
    I'm cautious of the HIIT in a fasted state, too. The way I think is that it increases your metabolism for probably most of the day, so you don't really need to do it in a fasted state.
    I hear ya bro, although sometimes I do it anyways. If I wake up in the morning and feel extra refreshed, I'll sometimes head down to the fitness center and do some fasted cardio followed by a medium and then a low intensity cooldown. My body holds onto muscle pretty easily, so I'm good for the most part with catabolic activity. I also am on Relora, which reduces morning cortisol levels to a great degree.
    Freedom means nothing here.
  13. New Member
    gdbear65's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Age
    49
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    242
    Level
    13
    Lv. Percent
    44.1%

    Quote Originally Posted by SureShot View Post
    the best cardio is no rest between set fullbody workouts or sprints...bar none.
    The best cardio is the one you will do on a consistent basis.
  14. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4375
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    45.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Wasnt expecting this many responses, Reps for every1

    So now I know what to do, 30mins not an hour and a brisk walk or brisk walk on an incline. Besides BCAAs and lots of water is there anything else I should take, I am assuming vitamin C.
  15. New Member
    waimoku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

    If you are willing to invest in some supplements for your fasted cardio, I would recommend:

    1) POWERFULL - take when you wake up. It will increase natural growth hormone levels and is most effective on an empty stomach.

    2) Poseidon - gives me a boost. Can initially lead to a niacin flush (not bad just may make you red faced and warm for a little bit) but you body gets used to the increased niacin level. Helps open up the smaller capillaries... i.e. increased blood flow. Potentially increased blood flow to areas of stored fat.

    3) DCP - Damage Control Protocal. Helps make the stored fat available for energy. Can you give you an endurance boost.

    4) Stimulant - caffeine for example.

    I'm sure others will chime in, but this combo works well for me.
  16. Professional Member
    bitterplacebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,372
    Rep Power
    1778
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by waimoku View Post
    If you are willing to invest in some supplements for your fasted cardio, I would recommend:

    1) POWERFULL - take when you wake up. It will increase natural growth hormone levels and is most effective on an empty stomach.

    2) Poseidon - gives me a boost. Can initially lead to a niacin flush (not bad just may make you red faced and warm for a little bit) but you body gets used to the increased niacin level. Helps open up the smaller capillaries... i.e. increased blood flow. Potentially increased blood flow to areas of stored fat.

    3) DCP - Damage Control Protocal. Helps make the stored fat available for energy. Can you give you an endurance boost.

    4) Stimulant - caffeine for example.

    I'm sure others will chime in, but this combo works well for me.
    I found this interesting entry in Wikipedia a while ago

    Niacin, when taken in large doses, blocks the breakdown of fats in adipose tissue, thus altering blood lipid levels. Niacin is used in the treatment of hyperlipidemia because it reduces very low density lipoprotein (VLDL), a precursor of low density lipoprotein (LDL) or "bad" cholesterol. Because Niacin blocks breakdown of fats, it causes a decrease in free fatty acids in the blood and consequently, decreased secretion of VLDL and cholesterol by the liver.[4]
    not sure how significant it is, but makes me wary of taking large doses when trying to lose fat.
  17. New Member
    waimoku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

    I understand your concern about taking mega doses of anything. Here is a link (there are many other sources, but this is from a quick google search) that talks about niacin - i.e. niacin flush, cardiovascular benefits, etc.

    http://www.healingdaily.com/detoxifi...iet/niacin.htm

    I think the amount in poseidon, 75 mg, is still only 250% the daily recommended amount. The levels you may be referring to I believe are in the 1000-1500 mg range.
  18. Professional Member
    bitterplacebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,372
    Rep Power
    1778
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    You're absolutely right, I should have waited until I had time to explain. It is doses that are 1g - 3g of niacin that start to have the effect of blocking breakdown of fats from adipose tissues. But it's good to get that info out there, since some people see that a little is good and think more will be better. Not the case here.

    Also, the BCAA products might be worth looking into for fasted cardio to help prevent the breakdown of muscle tissue.
  19. New Member
    waimoku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

    You are absolutely right that BCAAs are part of the equation. I forgot to mention that in my list. I use the NOW BCAAs sold at nutraplanet, but I'm sure others are equally as good.
  20. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4375
    Level
    30
    Lv. Percent
    45.85%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Would a can of sugarfree redbull be an overkill?
    I dont have much caffeine but I am thinking of adding it to my fasted cardio session(skulling it beforehand), it has about 10 calories from carbs(glucuronolactone), its either that or caffeine tablets.
    Im not really into powerfull, dcp etc.
  21. Professional Member
    bitterplacebo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Age
    29
    Posts
    3,372
    Rep Power
    1778
    Level
    40
    Lv. Percent
    1.15%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Would a can of sugarfree redbull be an overkill?
    I dont have much caffeine but I am thinking of adding it to my fasted cardio session(skulling it beforehand), it has about 10 calories from carbs(glucuronolactone), its either that or coke zero.
    Im not really into powerfull, dcp etc.
    I'd say go for it. It should help get you the motivation to carry on with that tedious activity and possibly help mobilize more fat stores by revving up your metabolism.

    The only concern is that caffeine will raise your cortisol some and possibly cause some consumption of muscle tissues. I'd recommend counteracting that issue with something to help control cortisol. BCAAs are a good fit, so I think you're ok.
  22. Advanced Member
    johnyq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    827
    Rep Power
    508
    Level
    22
    Lv. Percent
    50.85%

    bobo said a while back (found while searching) that BCAAs before fasted cardio are a waste, and will simply be used as energy through protein synthesis.
  23. New Member
    waimoku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

    BCAA's are comprised of L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine,
    L-Valine. I believe Isoleucine and Valine are potentially glucogenic (I'm sure I'm misspelling it) which means they can be broken down into energy. Leucine does not. So I guess rather than saying BCAA's, I should have said Leucine.
  24. New Member
    waimoku's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    48
    Rep Power
    119
    Level
    6
    Lv. Percent
    64.9%

    here is a thread from a prior fasted cardio discussion that includes BCAA's and their value.

    POWERFULL before fasted AM Cardio
  25. Board Sponsor
    rpen22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,702
    Rep Power
    11094
    Level
    42
    Lv. Percent
    13.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

    Quote Originally Posted by waimoku View Post
    here is a thread from a prior fasted cardio discussion that includes BCAA's and their value.

    POWERFULL before fasted AM Cardio
    That's talking about using solely Leucine before fasted cardio, not all BCAAs.

    EDIT: I just read your post before this one, so I guess you already knew this.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. 2 dumb questions re: fasted cardio and cooking
    By JoshDP in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 05:49 AM
  2. Question about fasted cardio
    By drvinnybombat in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-23-2011, 12:38 PM
  3. question about LR and fasted cardio
    By w3ss in forum Supplements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 01:55 AM
  4. Cardio question for Lean One!
    By NotBigEnough in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-18-2005, 10:12 PM
  5. Cardio Question
    By littlemark in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2004, 04:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in