What about this diet-

JWest0926

Awards
Just looking for critcism on this diet-

Its somewhat keto, but also totally not.

Imagine a keto diet w/carbs a bit higher than keto prob- 50-100 grms daily
and fats lower than typical keto probably 30-40 gms daily.
Rest of the diet is pretty much strictly protein.
Lotsa chicken breast.

Its how I've been eating to diet this summer! Any criticism/advice?

JWest

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
You need to do some research into diets... also if you are wanting to get good advice on diets, I would post a sample day and you sats, so that we could help you..

Rhapsody

Awards
Just looking for critcism on this diet-

Its somewhat keto, but also totally not.

Imagine a keto diet w/carbs a bit higher than keto prob- 50-100 grms daily
and fats lower than typical keto probably 30-40 gms daily.
Rest of the diet is pretty much strictly protein.
Lotsa chicken breast.

Its how I've been eating to diet this summer! Any criticism/advice?

JWest

at 50 grams of carbs you should still lose weight, but it will be slow.

I believe maintanence is 60 to 100 carbs a day. But you also have to factor in how much exercise your doing. You may be able to increase your carbs and still lose weight.

Just make sure you've got alot of green vegetables thrown in. Multivitamin and calcium wouldn't hurt.

JWest0926

Awards
thanks for the advice.

6'2"
188 lbs
bf probably around 8-9% Very lean, except in ab region. Some ab definition, but no hardcore six, yet.
22 yrs old

Typical Day-
Lotsa Coffee (give a bit of an energy boost when cutting)

chicken breast mixed w/veggies and a bit of spaghetti sauce every few hours. 30-40 gms protein every 4 hours approx. I don't weight it, and I do it based on hunger.

100 cal ice cream 3 times daily (keeps me sane)

I'll eat basically like this for 4-5 days, Then I'll do a day high carb, attempting to spark my declining metabolism.

Thats basically my diet.

JWest

JWest0926

Awards
As far as exercise goes-

I'm only lifting every 3rd day while intense dieting.
Each other day I'm running, probably 8-9 min miles, for at minimum a half hour. Max 45 min.

I dont lose weight easily, so I feel this cardio is key.

JWest

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Drop the ice cream, and maybe change up your cardio style> I have no idea why you would only train twice a week while dieting. The more musclem ass you pack on the more calories you'll naturally burn.

Bouncer79

Awards
I don't even know where to start....

Your first mistake is judging caloric intake based on hunger..... caloric intake is still going to make or break your diet regardless of what you are eating.

And from what you listed, it looks like you're on a keto (CKD) trainwreck. Why not just follow one? Assuming your BF% is 8 or 9, then you would follow a CKD with a midweek re-feed.

JWest0926

Awards
why trainwreck? I like my diet... Do I need to add more fat or whats missing? I don't think i am disciplined enough for strict CKD, and it includes too much fat for my metabolism. At that % fat, I'd never ingest enough protein!!!!

Please respond. I appreciated the feedback.

JWest

Bouncer79

Awards
I think you would find a CKD easier than you currently perceive. The diet itself is protein sparing. Many feel they are actually not eating enough protein on the diet... generally 0.8-1g of protein per pound of LBM suffices.

If you're curious to see what you would consume daily, check out a CKD calculator to set your parameters (calories, fats, protein, carbs).

A carb-up is for replenishing muscle glycogen, generally following a depletion workout (not always necessary). The carb-up typically will be on day 6 into 7 for a 7-day cycle (some will not need 2 days, and adjust to fit them accordingly falling between 12-48 hours). Being under 10% BF you will also use a small midweek re-feed.

Pertaining to your concern about your metabolism... the CKD will turn your metabolism to use fats for it's fuel source. Storing the highly-injested fats is a major concern for people starting out, but understand that insulin is minimal due to glycogen depletion.

Read into the diet more. Check the keto sticky. Here are 2 other links to get you started...

http://low-carb.org/faq
http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petrizzi/fitness/ckdcalc.html

JWest0926

Awards
thanks bouncer! I appreciate the help! maybe u can tell me whats wrong w/ keeping both fats and carbs low, and protein higher?

JWest

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
You will not have much energy.. feel like you were the walking dead.

Bouncer79

Awards
When on a CKD we are switching our metabolism to use fats as a primary fuel source. Plus the fats are what help to control our hunger on the diet, being that they are slow absorbing, as well as slow absorbtion of other nutrients (an example would be why we dont want fats in our PW shakes... we want the protein to enter muscle cells asap)

JWest0926

Awards
Thank you guys for the advice. Matthew D, I do feel like the walking dead!!!!

However, I am used to eating chicken as my primary meat source, along w/ some eggs (mostly whites)

Can I have my fat come from other sources, Like my trainwreck Ice Cream? Or does that incredibly less effective?

I really do appreicate the advice. Karma to you both!

JWest

Oh ya, OT, I'm about to add liquid Clen to my diet. Can I keep my diet as such? Or must I add a higher % of carbs....

Bouncer79

Awards
haha, you and that ice cream. No, fats with carbs do not mix.... when on the diet we are in carb depletion, thus making us easily suseptable to insulin releases from too many carbs... when insulin is released it will promote fat storage. And it's a matter of getting fats from food that will help you. Think of it this way: what would be better.... 300 calories of ice cream, or 300 calories from tuna with mayo? You still need to be within your caloric allotment for the day, so it's not a matter of making up the extra protein and fat by overeating calories.

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
What you can do is add some lean beef to the mix. It has more fat, in most cases, than chicken and like Bouncer said add some mayo or if you don't like mayo ranch dressing does well also :D

JWest0926

Awards
well sh t guys, I'll try, I crave a bit of sweets though. another Idea on my part... peanut butter, or full fat cool whip? As long as the carbs are minimal/nonexistent, I can eat that for dessert w/the chicken, yes?

JWest0926

Awards
oh ya, any thoughts on keto while on liquid clen for 2 wks? just stay on keto?

JWest0926

Awards
this is where im at a wk ago. looking to cut maybe 4 lbs by aug 1

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Hey J, go check out www.C-K-D.com when you first get on the site there is a button marked Nutrition.. check out the list of foods.. it is a good list.

Bouncer79

Awards
Liquid clen should be fine. Also on www.c-k-d.com, check the diet forum on the message board.... you can get ideas of what people are eating on their keto diets.

Rhapsody

Awards
well sh t guys, I'll try, I crave a bit of sweets though. another Idea on my part... peanut butter, or full fat cool whip? As long as the carbs are minimal/nonexistent, I can eat that for dessert w/the chicken, yes?
I eat sugar free jello with a heaping teaspoon of cool whip on top of it when I crave something sweet.

The shakes with whipping cream added stops any chocolate cravings I have.