Few questions about my Workout schedule and daily intake

Swirv

Swirv

Awards
Hi all here's a little info about me, fairly new to the forums but here ya go:

Weight: 220
Height: 5'9" (5'10" on a good day)
BF%: Unknown but I know its nothing good.

I started working out and eating 5-6 meals a day again since my back injury (L4 L5 Degenerative Disk). So far I feel amazing, I am happier, feel more energetic, I'm never bloated from eating too much, and saving a ton of money from not spending it on junk food. Thats all great but I want to weight about 165-175 by December. I know it is possible, but I need to be on the right schedule.

My current diet:

8am - 2-3 Egg whites cooked, 1 whole wheat toast, 8oz 2% milk

10am - Protein shake, banana, or 4oz non fat yogurt

12pm - Night before's dinner (Chicken breast, steak, salad) or a turkey sandwich with yellow mustard and 1 slice american cheese on whole wheat bread + yogurt/fruit

3pm - Fruit, Yogurt, Protein shake

6pm-7pm Dinner (same as lunch)

9pm - nothing or a small snack (i.e.: Yogurt, banana, etc)

Currently I am intaking roughly 1600-1900 calories a day, around 250 or more grams of protein, Under 100 grams of carbs and under a 100 grams of fat. Can you guys give me any pointers somethings I should alter to my diet to maximize fat loss?

My current workout Schedule:

Monday - 5pm - Chest/Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps/Back
Tuesday - 5pm - Cardio for 30-45 min
Wednesday - 5pm - Quads/Hamstrings/Calves/Abs
Thursday - 5pm - Cardio for 30-45 min
Friday - 5pm - Chest/Shoulders/Biceps/Triceps/Back
Saturday - morning - Fasted Cardio for 30-45 min

That is my currently schedule, however, today I tried a morning Fasted low intensity (brisk walk) for 25 minutes. I actually enjoyed it a lot and have crazy energy while at work. I was thinking to change up my schedule to either just adding morning fasted cardio to my Cardio Gym days or just doing it every morning. I don't want to over work myself, so if you all think its too much then let me know a good balance. If I did Morning Fasted Cardio on my Cardio Gym days would that increase my chances for Muscle Loss? I know under all this fat there is some nice muscles left over from high school lifting.

As for my workout schedule on Intense Lifting, would it be better to break it up into something like this:

Monday - Chest/Triceps/Abs
Wednesday - Quads/Calves/Hamstrings
Friday - Back/Shoulders/Biceps

Is that enough? I mean 1 workout for upper body a week? Right now I end up haing to spend about an hour and half at the gym before I do 2 different types of exercises for Chest/Back/Biceps/Triceps/Shoulders. Anyways I am ranting on and majority of you probably wont read this far down lol.

Any opinions and information is sincerely appreciated!!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It looks like you've got things outlined pretty good man. I would defenitly recommend doing the fasted cardio for increased weightloss... for me it's quite effective in that regards. Substituting for your regular cardio time and you should see some nice effects from it. If your worried about catabolism try sipping on some BCAA's during your cardio and that should solve the problem. Your meal outline looks good for your targetted goals, one suggestion I would make is to include some form of slow digesting protein for your 9pm snack to prevent night time catabolism. Something like a bowel of cottage cheese or some Casein protein mix would suit just fine.

Swirv

Swirv

Awards
:box: Thanks very much for the reply! Glad to hear I'm on the right path. I am taking Amino Acids, particularly this one http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=OP-7014 , Would that be considered BCAA?

Also a question about protein, I intaking A LOT of protein, Breakfast everyday I have the 2-3 egg whites, I am always eating Yogurt, currently I am having 2-3 Protein shakes (2 as meal reps and 1 after the gym@24grams each), and for dinner/lunch I pretty much only eat steaks, chicken, or fish, occasionally turkey sandwich if I don't have anything for lunch. Is there a point where I'd be consuming too much protein? :think: According to my FitDay.com journal I'm taking in somewheres around 250 grams (+/-).

As for the slower digesting protein I'll start eating cottage cheese. Oh and one more question and i think I'm set, I don't think i'm getting enough fiber in my diet, should I consider taking fibrecon or something to that sense? If so when would be best the time to take it, I've never taken it before so i don't want to be at the gym and all of a sudden have to dart to the bathroom mid workout lol

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
:box: Thanks very much for the reply! Glad to hear I'm on the right path. I am taking Amino Acids, particularly this one http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=OP-7014 , Would that be considered BCAA?

Also a question about protein, I intaking A LOT of protein, Breakfast everyday I have the 2-3 egg whites, I am always eating Yogurt, currently I am having 2-3 Protein shakes (2 as meal reps and 1 after the gym@24grams each), and for dinner/lunch I pretty much only eat steaks, chicken, or fish, occasionally turkey sandwich if I don't have anything for lunch. Is there a point where I'd be consuming too much protein? :think: According to my FitDay.com journal I'm taking in somewheres around 250 grams (+/-).

As for the slower digesting protein I'll start eating cottage cheese. Oh and one more question and i think I'm set, I don't think i'm getting enough fiber in my diet, should I consider taking fibrecon or something to that sense? If so when would be best the time to take it, I've never taken it before so i don't want to be at the gym and all of a sudden have to dart to the bathroom mid workout lol
IMO the amino acid supp your taking is a little under dosed even if consuming at each meal, perhaps try doubleing up on a few doses or get some Xcell or Xtend BCAA drink to get the adequate levels of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine.

Your protein intake is fine... at 220lbs your getting just over 1gr/lb of bodyweight which is prime for what you need. As for the fiber it seems like your getting a good healthy serving with all the fruit and wheat you've listed in the diet. If your getting around 30gr/day on your fitday breakdown, I think your good to go. If not then subbing with your fiber supplement at your bedtime meal would be okay.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
IMO the amino acid supp your taking is a little under dosed even if consuming at each meal, perhaps try doubleing up on a few doses or get some Xcell or Xtend BCAA drink to get the adequate levels of Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine.

Your protein intake is fine... at 220lbs your getting just over 1gr/lb of bodyweight which is prime for what you need. As for the fiber it seems like your getting a good healthy serving with all the fruit and wheat you've listed in the diet. If your getting around 30gr/day on your fitday breakdown, I think your good to go. If not then subbing with your fiber supplement at your bedtime meal would be okay.
:goodpost:

Workin

Swirv

Swirv

Awards
Thank you both very much! :woohoo: I'll keep an eye on my fitday journal and supplement fiber if needed. As for Amino's I'll start taking them more often, (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner) and after each workout.

I'll keep you both updated on my progress in a few weeks!

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thank you both very much! :woohoo: I'll keep an eye on my fitday journal and supplement fiber if needed. As for Amino's I'll start taking them more often, (breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner) and after each workout.

I'll keep you both updated on my progress in a few weeks!
Sounds good... try double dosing the aminos both before and after workouts. ( i.e. before muscle fiber damage and after muscle fiber damage) to help with recovery.

Nemesis

Awards
let me awake a dead thread, i know fasted and non fasted has always been a debate. I intend to eat roughly 30-40 grams of carbs on wake up then cardio 30 mins later for maybe 20 mins at low-mod intensity, then 20 mins after WT, anyway but the question is, any input on the carb before cardio, will that effect me neg or should it be ok.
Peace

Swirv

Swirv

Awards
This Sunday will make it 1 month since I started the diet and workout schedule. So far I've been pretty satisfied as far as physical appearance. I've slimmed down in my face mainly and I have noticed a lot more definition in my legs. Hoping the second month (August) I will start seeing some actual waist measurements go down. Regardless I'm still going strong, I will my weight probably sunday or monday. My starting weight was 220

dpatterson

Awards
This Sunday will make it 1 month since I started the diet and workout schedule. So far I've been pretty satisfied as far as physical appearance. I've slimmed down in my face mainly and I have noticed a lot more definition in my legs. Hoping the second month (August) I will start seeing some actual waist measurements go down. Regardless I'm still going strong, I will my weight probably sunday or monday. My starting weight was 220
Keep at it. Sounds like you are getting into a routine and that really helps to keep on track. I noticed slimming in my face and legs first as well. Then my arms and chest and finally starting to see some change in my stomach area. I also had some xtra fat stores just below the belt and those are pretty much gone.

Like it has been mentioned before the Fasted Cardio works. I have been doing it off and on for a couple weeks. If it would stop raining here I could get it in more often. I did think one day I was superman and did 2.3 miles Fasted Cardio, 12pm Weight Lifting and 5pm Raquetball. I was dead at 5pm. I have since picked up some BCAAs and have used them a bit. I am not really sure how to dose them but just need to do a search to find out for sure.

Keep it up! Let us know what the scales are telling you. Just remember the scales can lie so trust the eyes.

DP

Swirv

Swirv

Awards
Ok so here's the update. I'm a little dissapointed in what the scale says but I feel great and I can definitely notice a physical change in my appearance. When I started this diet and exercise program I weighed in at about 220 (according to the scale at the gym). This morning I weighed in at 214. As I said before the physical changes that I have noticed are in my face and my legs. Once I get my camera working I will post my before and current Pics to show the difference. My face has slimmed down and the definition in my calves and quads have begun to emerge and show its beautiful face lol.

ultra2extreme

Awards
Your unlikely to grow much in the arms and chest region as you're working it too hard. Split back and bi's with chest and tri's and only do each once pw. You might think you dont want a 'massive chest and back" but if you have a 34" waist and a 42" chest you will look shedloads better than someone with a 30" waist and a 36" chest.

Equally increasing your overall muscle mass will help slim you down while you work/sleep/watch TV.

Also dont go off scale readings, why do you want to be 165/175? To look good? Or are you planning to compete as a as a middleweight boxer as you cannot compete with the over 175lb light heavyweights? ;) go by mirrors and measurments as well as bodyfat %.

At 6'2 and 215lbs im obese, almost morbidly so, at least as far as doctors would have you believe, yet i have a 34in waist and a 42in chest. I might not be cut and ripped but i wouldn't call myself obese.

Work out to look good, build up your arms chest and legs by sticking to the basics, one body part once per week. Throw in that excellent diet plan you've already got, maybe some regular AB work to make sure theres a nice six pack waiting to get out and bingo, you're there!

Swirv

Swirv

Awards
Your unlikely to grow much in the arms and chest region as you're working it too hard. Split back and bi's with chest and tri's and only do each once pw. You might think you dont want a 'massive chest and back" but if you have a 34" waist and a 42" chest you will look shedloads better than someone with a 30" waist and a 36" chest.

Equally increasing your overall muscle mass will help slim you down while you work/sleep/watch TV.

Also dont go off scale readings, why do you want to be 165/175? To look good? Or are you planning to compete as a as a middleweight boxer as you cannot compete with the over 175lb light heavyweights? ;) go by mirrors and measurments as well as bodyfat %.

At 6'2 and 215lbs im obese, almost morbidly so, at least as far as doctors would have you believe, yet i have a 34in waist and a 42in chest. I might not be cut and ripped but i wouldn't call myself obese.

Work out to look good, build up your arms chest and legs by sticking to the basics, one body part once per week. Throw in that excellent diet plan you've already got, maybe some regular AB work to make sure theres a nice six pack waiting to get out and bingo, you're there!

Well the 165/175 I was honestly going by what all those charts say I "should" weigh at my height and age. However, the last time I was weighing in at 175-180 and I was really happy with the way I looked, granted back then I didn't do cardio at ALL. I think now when I hit 180 range that I'll be a lot more pleased with my results. The thing that sucks is that I've lost soooo much muscle in my chest and Triceps. Not so much in my Biceps but considering I used to Max out at around 275 when I was weighing 175-180. Now I am struggling at doing 100lbs 15 times. But whatever, I'm not worried about how much I'm putting up but more about how I look. I'll try to get that picture up of me before and 1 month later soon.