Hypoglycemic person and weight loss

1. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.

Arrow Hypoglycemic person and weight loss

Ok so heres the deal, my wife wants to lose 20 pounds. She has a pretty good diet, and does cardio 3-4 times a week for 45-60 minutes. The problem is she never loses a pound.

I think it has something to do with her being hypoglycemic, but i dont know how to change her diet in order to help her. If we do a low carb diet, she runs the risk of having seizures. So extended low carb dieting is not really an option.

She has tried some weight loss products with no results, mostly stimulant fat burners, but also hoodia, and most recently Alli. All with no results.

She is 5'10" and 170 pounds, and wants to be at 150. Any suggestions or links to sites you may know of with info would be greatly appreciated. I have googled this for about a month now and found no good answers or ideas.

2. Registered User

Your wife needs to get her hypoglycemia under control, which in the case of my wife was entirely related to her diet. When she went low-carb and started eating more sensibly, her hypoglycemia disappeared. She shouldn't have any seizures if she's getting an adequate amount of protein. Protein helps regulate blood sugar levels. My wife's diet consisted of mainly cruciferous veggies and chicken, tuna or salmon with a little bread (calorie reduced) in the mornings and low calorie/high protein bars for a snack in the afternoon.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.

her hypoglycemia is well under control. she has had it her whole life, its not a new occurrence. She eats like i eat which is high protien, whole grain and veggies for carbs, and low fat.

Its been a long long time since she has had a seizure, or any real complications from it. I was just curious if this could be effecting her weight loss now. Or if it really has no bearing.
    •   

4. Registered User

Casein protien is extremely good for people with hypoglycemia dieting or not dieting. Extremely low glycemic index (much lower than whey, etc) and it provides energy for 8 hours.
  5. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by KSMA View Post
    her hypoglycemia is well under control. she has had it her whole life, its not a new occurrence. She eats like i eat which is high protien, whole grain and veggies for carbs, and low fat.

Its been a long long time since she has had a seizure, or any real complications from it. I was just curious if this could be effecting her weight loss now. Or if it really has no bearing.
    Then I'd suggest she do some resistance training after her cardio - research has shown this combo to be the best for weight loss. I'd also suggest she move to doing HIIT cardio and to do circuit training.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

hypoglycemia and weight loss can be a real challenge. Being hypoglycemic myself it's hard to lose fat cause our bodies like to store and when we get low cortisol is on the rise. It's a vicious cycle. The best thing to do is monitor the blood glucose levels and make sure glucose levels stay elevated around exercise. Eating every 2 hours really helps. I would recommend a cortisol control supplement cause most likely it gets high at times. Relora is a safe effective one if your worried about sides. ALCAR,TTA,Green Tea, Forskolin are excellent choices for hypoglycemics as well. STIMS are a bad idea.
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  7. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.

I don't know anything about hypoglycemia so I'm hesitant to recommend anything. But if she can't take stims has she tried DCP?

What about fish oil, green tea and sesathin? Does she weight train as well as do cardio? Since muscle helps burn fat then adding some muscle will help.
  8. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor

Absolutely look at Fish oil and Sesathin.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  9. Registered User
    Stats
    6'3"  216 lbs.

wow, i appreciate all the good info guys. especially you flaw, that was something i hadnt even thought of and it makes perfect sense. Sorry i have been slow to respond, but i have been out of the country for a while and not following the board.

She started weight training a while back along with cardio and was seeing progress, but she has a bad back from a car wreck and it started bugging her so she has been getting that fixed up. She does the fish oil (off and on), we got some matrix 5 protein for her. So we will see from here what happens, just gotta get her back fixed and get her back in the gym.

oh btw, if anyone is looking for a good work out... climb mt. fuji, it will kick your ass.
  10. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    I don't know anything about hypoglycemia so I'm hesitant to recommend anything. But if she can't take stims has she tried DCP?

What about fish oil, green tea and sesathin? Does she weight train as well as do cardio? Since muscle helps burn fat then adding some muscle will help.
    DCP contains pyruvate I believe and it helps you waste a lot of energy which is not good for the hypoglycemic. It will lower blood glucose levels pretty fast. Excellent though for the non hypoglycemic. Another thing i'd recommend is right before she goes to bed have her eat 2-3 eggs. If she can't do that then maybe 50 grams of whey protein. No carbs though. What this will do is get her body burning fat at night.
    “Lord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Flaw View Post
    DCP contains pyruvate I believe and it helps you waste a lot of energy which is not good for the hypoglycemic. It will lower blood glucose levels pretty fast. Excellent though for the non hypoglycemic. Another thing i'd recommend is right before she goes to bed have her eat 2-3 eggs. If she can't do that then maybe 50 grams of whey protein. No carbs though. What this will do is get her body burning fat at night.
    Not whey protien, Casien protien is much better for a hypoglycemic.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Not whey protien, Casien protien is much better for a hypoglycemic.
    Very true, cottage cheese and or milk would be a good choice too. The basic point was too get a high amount of protein in before bed. Whey does have a higher GI. You can always mix it with a whole or 2% milk to slow the digestion.

13. Board Supporter
    Stats
    6'0"  195 lbs.

in addition to milk I sometimes ad a couple of eggs in my shakes. they digest slower than milk.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. cortisol/estradiol and weight loss
    By grape ape in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-26-2007, 09:37 AM
  2. CNS HEALTH and Weight Loss
    By workin2005 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 03:18 PM
  3. Flax Oil and Weight Loss
    By mcgwirefan37 in forum Weight Loss