Covenient complex carbs

T-Bar

Awards
I need to get more complex carbs into my diet, but because of my job, it's hard for me to eat stuff like sweet potatos and bowls of oatmeal. I thought maltodextrin like Now foods carbo gain:

http://www.1fast400.com/product_info.php?cPath=84&products_id=569

was a complex, slow-burning carb and I was going to add it to my protien shakes. But then I read that it was similar to dextrose and that taking large amounts of it throughout the day can cause diabetes? So what can I eat throughout my busy day to help me keep my carbs up so I can bulk? Granola bars? They're like little bowls of oatmeal, right?

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Just make sure you blend the hell out of the shake.. gives it a strange texture to me if you don't

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
WARDOGS BARS!

or, buy yourself a coffee grinder and grind up a bunch of rolled oats, and just add the rolled oat "powder" to your protein powder in ziplock bags and take those to work.

T-Bar

Awards
I'm gonna have to try that coffe grinder method. I have a big thing of oatmeal that I was mixing with my protien shakes but it would all go straight to the bottom. So, the maltodextrin is no good then? Is it sugar? Beacause it says it only has 2 g of sugar in a 50 g serving?

Biggs

Awards
  • Established
maltodextrin has a ridiculously high GI, nutrition companies just like getting away with touting it as a "complex carb" because of its shape, which is intentionally misleading as far as the effect it is actually having on your body.

T-Bar

Awards
Originally posted by Biggs
maltodextrin has a ridiculously high GI, nutrition companies just like getting away with touting it as a "complex carb" because of its shape, which is intentionally misleading as far as the effect it is actually having on your body.

Damn nutrition companies!!!!! 

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by T-Bar
I'm gonna have to try that coffe grinder method. I have a big thing of oatmeal that I was mixing with my protien shakes but it would all go straight to the bottom. So, the maltodextrin is no good then? Is it sugar? Beacause it says it only has 2 g of sugar in a 50 g serving?

A little tip for the oatmeal settling.  Once you blend it toss it in a shaker bottle without the shaker grid (whatever it's called having a brain cramp).  This way you can just mix it up in between sips.