How to tell when to change diet?

killagorilla

killagorilla

Awards
How and when do you switch up your diet?

I have been very low carb for over a month and have seen great results. Im not sure if i should keep it so low, no pwo carbs, only source of carbs daily is from veggies (broccoli,tomatoe,cucumber)

I cant tell if i need a change, I do feel as if its getting harder for my willpower to control my diet. I can control it but it just seems like a bigger Burden!

Thanks for the feedback and help!:welcome: :wave:

SwordBurn

SwordBurn

Awards
  • Established
If you are happy with the results...why change it?

If you do not think the sacrifice is worth the results, then its up to you.

Try to find your median, where you are able to tolerate and still get results you are satisfied with.

You could have probably found this reply in a fortune cookie. lol

Jimbo15

Jimbo15

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • Established
are you using cheat days, or cheat meals at all?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd say only switch it up when the results start to slow down or disappear altogther. Don't fix it if it ain't broke.

Jimbo15

Jimbo15

Primordial Performance Rep
Awards
  • Established
not really, just cut alcohol out of diet aswell.
your body will naturally adjust to run off the number of calories you put in it. after a certain point your body will go into "starvation" mode where it stores calories as fat at an extremely low calorie intake and stops burning nearly as many as it normally would have. to keep the furnace burning at max level you have to make sure your body doesn't adjust to this. so if you are eating 2000 calories a day to cut, once a week eat double that. you can make them clean, but the cals must be higher. cutting alcohol is good because of the effects it can have on estrogen levels and fat storage. however, The Rock takes down a pizza and a six pack for his cheat day.

:cheers:

IKE07

Awards
what are you stats, height, weight, bodyfat? and training like?

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
cheat meals can help a ton, refuel your body

killagorilla

killagorilla

Awards
what are you stats, height, weight, bodyfat? and training like?

stats? MVP of the year, 4000 rebounds,1000 assists lol!!

Ive been training for about 6 years, every day getting smarter at it! Ive been thru a big battle, from never wanting to touch a wait to loving it- from 330lbs no muscle- to 260-270 very muscular

6'4-6'5 260lbs, never checked bodyfat, just look in mirror- Im going to say %12 or %13

I train as intense as i can, very short rest periods, dont exactly care about poundage.

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
you're a big m'fer...

I agree with Easy...as long as you're still getting the (realistic) results you're looking for then just ride it out... my cuts are usually progressive in that I schedule a change about every 3-4 weeks...as a very vague example, I'll moderately adjust my diet, then moderately adjust my cardio, then drastically adjust my diet, then cardio, then I'll start being creative with things...change up my cardio to a HIIT regimine, maybe some carb cycling after that...Then and only then do I start hitting the supps...usually starting with the cortisol blockers and working my way up to some clen or ECA/Y...I'm thinking about following that up with some T3 this time around, but we'll see...

It's really the only way that works for me...my body has a tendency to plateau pretty quickly on the same diet/training/supp regimine for too long..Of course, I tend to have some pretty agressive goals during cutting too...as long as strength stays pretty consistent, I don't really worry too much about muscle catabolism...Although I've comitted to trying to monitor that a little closer next time around...

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
Oh yeah, and I do schedule a refeed when needed too!!!:pizza: :food:

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
How and when do you switch up your diet?

I have been very low carb for over a month and have seen great results. Im not sure if i should keep it so low, no pwo carbs, only source of carbs daily is from veggies (broccoli,tomatoe,cucumber)

I cant tell if i need a change, I do feel as if its getting harder for my willpower to control my diet. I can control it but it just seems like a bigger Burden!

Thanks for the feedback and help!:welcome: :wave:
All diets work and all diets will fail. You need to find a realistic eating lifestyle that suits you and your mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual demands. Your body needs certain things at certain times. Give it the right stuff and you'll be rewarded. . . ....
Post workout... your body is reaching out for glucose and aminos to repair the damage caused by your workout. I can't understand why people would eat whole food after a workout... If you're going the whole food route, maybe egg whites (NOT YOLKS) and some white bread and organic jelly. Preferrably, you should be consuming a whey isolate or good whey isolate, concentrate blend and some kind of simple sugar. I buy organic 'pop tarts' and consume 50-60 grams of Oryx Goat Whey and 2 organic toaster pastries. Simple sugars and easy digesting protein. NO FATS! FATS slow everything down. That means NO Muscle Milk either. I don't care what they say about MCTS blah blah blah... It's also a combo of milk protein and whey with MCTS and other fillers, etc.

If you want to go the low carb route, for sure. Don't measure everything out to the ounce and leave yourself hungry. Some people on this board have touched base with this: "If you're hungry constantly, the body will learn to adapt." It will do so because of bio-physiological demand and mental strain as well. If you're eating sensible foods, there should be no reason to count cals too seriously. Each day, our caloric needs fluctuate. If we take a crap and grunt harder than usual for a while, we burned an extra 30 cals probably... Do you carry a calculator and add up how much energy was expended to wipe the dust off of your desk or hang a picture? Worry about it too much and think that you over-ate and your body will stress about it that much more.

Who gets fat off of eating broccoli, snow peas, and lemon pepper seasoned broiled or grilled chicken? We all know that... 'technically' it's possible... "if the total amount of calories consumed is higher than the total amount of calories expended... blah blah blah"... Get that s**t out of your head. Stop reading about delirious bodybuilders who do this crap for a living and have people write articles for them.

Be sure to keep a healthy dose of healthy fats every meal or so, except with ur PWO meal. You know what fats to eat plentifully and what fats to eat seldomly. Lean red meats are fine too, just don't eat it all the time. It's very hard to digest and you'd be better off eating other protein sources IMO. Then again, if it brings you a much higher level of mental satiety, then by all means... chow down.

Cheat meals are for rewards on demand. I don't believe in a refeed as part of an eating lifestyle. I don't believe in depriving your body of a vital macronutrient(s) and then all of a sudden giving into the end of a deprivation by overcompensating yourself with carbs, or whatever. What is the point of that? No... don't get into an argument of carb re-feeds and CKD crap. It's not a plausible way of life. Save the cheat meal if you're going on a date or a special occasion... and even then make the best of it. Be sensible with the menu. Why work so hard only to stuff your face and negate days of hard work at a 7.99 Chinese Buffet of saturated fat, sodium, and MSG? I haven't been to a buffet in a long time, but I think it'd be FUN AS HELL once in a blue moon. Dr. D. was talking to me the other day about carb and fat blocking supps... and suprisingly some do work well. BSN has a product called 'Cheaters'. Take it as directed and eat your cheat meal without feeling guilty. I'm dead serious, I can vouch for it. I just haven't cheated in a while. Scifits Carb Suppress is also good, but I'd reccommend Cheaters.

Hmmm... Oh... some fruits are very good too... I prefer berries and apples. They're really good to eat in between meals as snacks, earlier in the day.

I don't think I mentioned everything, but I don't want to ramble. Keep up the good work big guy!

myfathersboy

Awards
  • Established
FOG...Don't hold back now, tell us how you really feel!!!

Good Post...

killagorilla

killagorilla

Awards
I just had 1st serving of "real carbs" besides veggies post workout

2scoops of vitargo:bruce3:

IKE07

Awards
Also, you can go and try no carbs postworkout as well and given you size and somewhat degree of leaness you could have a pretty big refeed of carbs on weekends that would help maintain muscle so maybe even increase fat loss.

Poliquin, Serrano and Dr. Pasquale all favor these types of diets for most people. I'd look up their stuff, but basically no carbs except for refeeds, for poliquin no post workout carbs during cut if over 10% bf.

With this type of diet taking in aminos from whey isolate, glutamine, glycine, taurine and BCAA's particularly leucine, do the job of carbs just fine around the workout, without messing up your fat metabolism if that's what you want.

Again if interested I can expand or post some good links.