Good fats and bad Fats - AnabolicMinds.com

Good fats and bad Fats

1. Registered User

Question Good fats and bad Fats

Do good fats have less of a tendency to store as body fat than bad fights?

Fish oil is a poly. fat and helps weight loss. Mono is ment to be a better fat. So I am confused if your ment to cut down on these fats aswell.

2. Senior Member

Having a good amount of your daily intake from poly and mono fats is a great idea. Don't fall into the trap of reducing fat intake too much when cutting
  3. Professional Member

I don't remember hearing anything about differences in the likeliness of the dietary fats being stored in adipose tissue.

So I did some research.
    +'s mean positive fact, -'s mean negative fact, and ?'s mean that I'm logically deducing without scientific evidence.

Saturated:
    - some evidence of heart disease or cholesterol problems with high intake
    + but also possible antimicrobial benefits

Trans:
    - not a dietary requirement
    - linked to heart disease and also other negative effects
    - One of these is actually increased weight and abdominal fat, but the mechanisms in which trans fat is linked to it is not well understood.

Monounsaturated:
    + Protective against heart disease.
    ? They promote insulin resistance. Insulin resistance will mean that both muscles and adipose tissue will not absorb as much glucose from the blood stream. This might be the case that will lessen the likelihood that you will store fat, but it also means muscles get less glucose also, which is bad. To counter insulin resistance the body might start producing more insulin to compensate, but this can lead to large drops in blood sugar following meals and hypoglycemic states. Insulin resistance is also more known to progress into diabetes.

Polyunsaturated:
    + a "healthy" fat because it lowers circulating fat in the blood, and thus reduces blood pressure and risk for cardiovascular disease.
    - One downfall is that peroxidation is prevalent in this fat, which is a process that causes damage to cell membranes by free radicals.
    + These contain the essential fatty acids, that you cannot produce yourself
    ? They protect against insulin resistance, which is good, but can't say whether it will cause more glucose to be put into fat because adipose tissue will be more sensitive to it in this state.

There's probably way more than this, but you get the picture.
    You see it's complicated. I think it's best to have a good mix of the dietary fats, excluding the trans fat. You're probably not likely to lose fat or gain fat just from your manipulation of the types of fat you eat, but rather by manipulating your total calories and overall macronutrient profile.

I agree with asianbabe, and not reduce fat intake a whole lot while dieting. I actually respond a lot better on a diet where most calories are fat. I have problems with carbs, so I reduce those the most. This is just me, though.
    •   

4. New Member

Balance your fats. Saturated, polyunsat, and monounsat can and should be eaten in approximately even quantities.
  5. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by GI2EG View Post
    Balance your fats. Saturated, polyunsat, and monounsat can and should be eaten in approximately even quantities.
    I may be new to this forum, but this statement is wrong. poly and mono can help your body by adjusting good and bad cholesterols. saturated and trans can increase your LDL, which is not good for your system at all.

Example:

Know Your Fats

Knowing which fats raise LDL cholesterol and which ones don't is the first step in lowering your risk of heart disease. In addition to the LDL produced naturally by your body, saturated fat, trans-fatty acids and dietary cholesterol can also raise blood cholesterol. Monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats appear to not raise LDL cholesterol; some studies suggest they might even help lower LDL cholesterol slightly when eaten as part of a low-saturated and trans-fat diet.

The American Heart Association's Nutrition Committee strongly advises these fat guidelines for healthy Americans over age 2:

* Limit total fat intake to less than 2535 percent of your total calories each day;
    * Limit saturated fat intake to less than 7 percent of total daily calories;
    * Limit trans fat intake to less than 1 percent of total daily calories;
    * The remaining fat should come from sources of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats such as nuts, seeds, fish and vegetable oils; and
    * Limit cholesterol intake to less than 300 mg per day, for most people. If you have coronary heart disease or your LDL cholesterol level is 100 mg/dL or greater, limit your cholesterol intake to less than 200 milligrams a day.

For example, a sedentary female who is 3150 years old needs about 2,000 calories each day. Therefore, she should consume less than 16 g saturated fat, less than 2 g trans fat, and between 50 and 70 grams of total fat each day (with most fats coming from sources of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats, such as fish, nuts, seeds and vegetable oils).
  6. Recovering AXoholic

Quote Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
    Do good fats have less of a tendency to store as body fat than bad fights?

Fish oil is a poly. fat and helps weight loss. Mono is ment to be a better fat. So I am confused if your ment to cut down on these fats aswell.
    Unless taken in excess, dietary fats don't want to be stored as fats: they serve other purposes in the body.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  7. Diamond Member

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Unless taken in excess, dietary fats don't want to be stored as fats: they serve other purposes in the body.

Excellent post Sinner!. A lot of people don't understand that!. I have read extensively on this subject. Anyone who wants to learn more about fats, the information is out there. I still don't understand the people who follow the "fat is bad" mantra.
  8. New Member

Hooray for the ADA...

Screw the evidence.

Eat your grains kiddies!!

/bowing out of this one

p.s. jogging is good for you.
  9. Recovering AXoholic

Quote Originally Posted by GI2EG View Post
    Hooray for the ADA...

Screw the evidence.

Eat your grains kiddies!!

/bowing out of this one

p.s. jogging is good for you.
    WTF does the American Dental Association have to do with any of this?!
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    Bob@athleticxtreme.com
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
  10. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

And the next reply would be...

- recommendations on which good fat supplements to take
    - favorite brands...
    - effects on bowel movement
    - alergic to fish oil...alternatives are...
  11. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordBurn View Post
    And the next reply would be...

- recommendations on which good fat supplements to take
    - favorite brands...
    - effects on bowel movement
    - alergic to fish oil...alternatives are...

-fish oil, or flaxseed, prefer foods over sups, avacados, nuts
    -no idea about bowel movement effects

are the rest of you guys saying that trans fats and saturated fats are good in moderation? because i can understand mono and polys, but i'd almost think that avoiding the bads while taking in the goods would have the best overall health benefits
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.

I am pretty much 100% sure that Trans Fat should be avoided at all costs.
  13. Primordial Performance Rep
    Stats
    5'11"  215 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by SwordBurn View Post
    I am pretty much 100% sure that Trans Fat should be avoided at all costs.
    ya, but are there any benefits to saturated fats? i haven't researched that much, so i'm not sure. i've just been aiming for the mono and polys
  14. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post
    ya, but are there any benefits to saturated fats? i haven't researched that much, so i'm not sure. i've just been aiming for the mono and polys
    Saturated fat plays a key role in hormone production. In active persons, it helps to keep testosterone up. It is kind of the same reason that cholesterol help to gain muscle.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  15. Professional Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo15 View Post
    + antimicrobial properties
  16. New Member

I'll assume you're kidding, but the ADA was for the American Dietetic Association...
  17. New Member

There are definitely benefits to saturated fat, but no, not trans fats. They should be avoided.
  18. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Saturated fat plays a key role in hormone production. In active persons, it helps to keep testosterone up. It is kind of the same reason that cholesterol help to gain muscle.
    Actually, cholesterol plays the key role in hormone production (testosterone is made from cholesterol)

Now if you meant that the intake of saturated fat can cause an elevation in cholesterol then you are correct. Fats & Cholesterol: Nutrition Source, Harvard School of Public Health

In reality, genetics plays the major role. If I remember correctly, you absorb < half of dietary cholesterol.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for life. Lao Tse 6th century BC
  19. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2

Similar Forum Threads

1. Excess Good Fats and How much is too much per meal
    By bbbeast in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 08:43 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-17-2008, 05:02 PM
  3. Good Idea and Bad Idea Steroids for Pulsing
    By thesinner in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 03-12-2008, 07:23 AM
  4. good news and bad news