New Member, wanting to loose 5 pounds

Wendy21

Wendy21

Awards
Hi everyone,

My name is Wendy, I am new to this forum site and I am looking to get new training ideas for my upper body, any suggestions?? I am also looking to loose a few pounds in my mid region, are there any good supplements to take or a great diet someone can suggest?

Wendy

flytrapcan

flytrapcan

Awards
  • Established
OK I've never gotten to give a smart azz answer so here goes...

Ready?...

Eat less & Move more.:clap2:

OK a little simplified, but it's the basics for sure. Ok stick around and you'll get some real answers.

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
Ditto

I think Mr. SwordBurn summed it up quite succinctly. What are you doing at the moment?

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
We'd need to know more information to help you better.
Like what exactly is your current upper body training like?

I also think most would agree and tell you not to look into supplements yet. Five pounds can easily be lost through diet and training manipulation.

I also don't think I'd recommend a specific type of diet for this goal. Just make sure it's a balanced diet, and then meticulously keep track of the portions that you eat each day. This makes it easy to progressively lower your total calorie intake at a pace that's required to keep seeing results. It can take weeks, but it's probably the healthiest way to go about it. What's your current diet like? We can make specific recommendations if we know more.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone,

My name is Wendy, I am new to this forum site and I am looking to get new training ideas for my upper body, any suggestions?? I am also looking to loose a few pounds in my mid region, are there any good supplements to take or a great diet someone can suggest?

Wendy
If you only want to lose 5 pounds, may I suggest the "eat less" diet. You simply eat whatever you normally eat, but just eat less. You can also try the advanced version, the "eat less, exercise more" diet. I am seriously not trying to be sarcastic, it's just really as simple as that. You'll drop the 5 lbs in no time.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone,

Wendy

I will ask you the same question I ask everybody who asks me how to lose 5 pounds.

Do you think losing 5 pounds is going to make you look different in the mirror?

Seriously, don't drink any water for about a day, and wake up tomorrow morning and weigh yourself and I guarantee you will be 5 pounds lighter, there you go, goal met. But now look at yourself in the mirror. Do you look any different? Why should you feel happy about it then?

propho

Awards
  • Established
wow getting all psychological =P i'm gone!

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
I will ask you the same question I ask everybody who asks me how to lose 5 pounds.

Do you think losing 5 pounds is going to make you look different in the mirror?

Seriously, don't drink any water for about a day, and wake up tomorrow morning and weigh yourself and I guarantee you will be 5 pounds lighter, there you go, goal met. But now look at yourself in the mirror. Do you look any different? Why should you feel happy about it then?
Some people don't spell it out specifically, but they're often talking about fat when they say "lose x pounds." And I'd say that 5 pounds of fat can make a huge difference in someone's physique, given that their current bodyfat levels are not excessively high.

Do you answer this way a lot? I hope you ask for clarification and don't unnecessarily crush someone's goals without pointing them in the right direction. Wanting to change the body isn't a bad thing, and can lead to discovery of healthy behaviors.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Some people don't spell it out specifically, but they're often talking about fat when they say "lose x pounds." And I'd say that 5 pounds of fat can make a huge difference in someone's physique, given that their current bodyfat levels are not excessively high.

Do you answer this way a lot? I hope you ask for clarification and don't unnecessarily crush someone's goals without pointing them in the right direction. Wanting to change the body isn't a bad thing, and can lead to discovery of healthy behaviors.

5 pounds of pure fat can make a huge difference. But 5 pounds of fluff as I call it, basically being drained of water/carbs/glycogen in your muscles isnt generally going to make a huge positive difference.

Plus it's impossible to lose 5 pounds of pure fat as quickly as most people that ask that want. They are looking for a 7 day cure you know. And that's just not going to happen.

bitterplacebo

bitterplacebo

Awards
  • Established
5 pounds of pure fat can make a huge difference. But 5 pounds of fluff as I call it, basically being drained of water/carbs/glycogen in your muscles isnt generally going to make a huge positive difference.

Plus it's impossible to lose 5 pounds of pure fat as quickly as most people that ask that want. They are looking for a 7 day cure you know. And that's just not going to happen.
Yeah, that won't happen and you're absolutely right about a lot of people wanting the quick fix. However, I'm just saying that we need to inquire about a person's intentions before making assumptions.

ultra2extreme

Awards

When a woman says they want to lose 5lbs they mean in the mirror not on the scales.

In this case, diet and excercise. 1lb of fat is equal to roughly 3500cals. All youve gotta do is take you average mainatainance intake (say 2000 for the av woman) add 1200 cals of training and bingo 1lb off every ~3 days or so, 3 weeks and you're there and whats more you'll tone up.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
up the protien and cut the carbs down. do cardio. eat more frequently but smaller portions. stay away from sweets.

are you there?

:welcome:

lovemuscle

Awards
OK I've never gotten to give a smart azz answer so here goes...

Ready?...

Eat less & Move more.:clap2:

OK a little simplified, but it's the basics for sure. Ok stick around and you'll get some real answers.
haha... simple.

Werewolf

Werewolf

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone,

Wendy
I have a great deal of success lately with women that will listen to me and follow my suggestions.

First log your food intake up on Fitday.com

Adjust your diet to get close the 40% protien, 40% carbs and 20% fat optimum.

I usually recommend adding in some casein protien or a 50% whey/50% casien for breakfast. Casein protien preserves muscle when dieting, but more important it stickes with you for 8 hours and really reduces hunger.

Please ignore all the fad diets and all the other garbage that is out there. Go with what the professionals follow.

Moving food intake toward the morning and away from the evenings will make dieting easier and be more productive, especially your fat intake. Some people refer to this as eating dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner.

Eating three large meals produces high insulin outputs which stores carbs as fat. Eating up to 6 small meals will reduce fat storage and stablize blood sugar levels reducing hunger.

As far as supplements, a cortisol lower will really help. There are several like Lean Extreme. I am not expert on which one works best so hopefully people more knowledgable in this area will help.

Thermogenic Thyrotabs will burn fat, but they heat you up pretty good and should not be abused.

As far as exercises, let me start with that spot exercises to reduce fat in certain spot absolutely don't work! This usually the first stupid myth I have to get women over.

Without knowing your goals, it is hard to tell what exercises to do. Women should basically do the same exercises as the guys with just less weight, You want to start slowly because you will get sorer during the first two weeks. Work the weight up slowly keeping yourself between 8 and 12 reps. If you are doing three sets then you should not be able to do any more at the end of third set. If doing only one set then no more at end of one set.

I recommend starting with a general upper body workout through the machines to start with only one set and doing more machines. Then try exercises that you see being done that interest you.

Good luck

Gives us more info and we will give you more advise.