DNP (2 4-dinitrophenol)

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Has anyone used this? Some websites say its safe and some say that it is dangerous. Supposedly, it raises your metabolism by 30-50 percent!

WannaBeHulk

WannaBeHulk

rollin' on dubs!
Awards
  • Established
ive read that it has the potential to boost metabolism by 100% and is dose dependent. from what ive researched, deaths have been associated to its use:smite: i wouldnt touch it...

haroldjg

haroldjg

Awards
  • Established
The amount it raises your metabolism is proportional to the dosage. It is highly thermogenic and if you over dose you are deffinately going to feel it. If you do over dose, you need to get into a bath tub full of ice water!!!! or else your prolly going to die. Even at very low doses it can have dramatic effects on body temperature. From what I have read a lot of precaution should be used with this product cause if you dont gradually ramp up the dose to a comfortable level, your likely going to kill yourself!!! IMO this is one of the most dangerous compounds you could take, deffinately right up there with insulin!

yeahright

yeahright

Awards
  • Established
It's one of the few diet products where death is an actually realistic possible side effect.

Risks/Side Effects

Hearing all of these wonderful things probably has you wondering what the side effects and risks are. They are quite formidable and contribute to making DNP one of the most intolerable (though effective) drugs used in bodybuilding. Starting with the most significant, and descending in importance, are the following risks and side effects of DNP use.

Risks:

Overheating - There is no upper limit to DNP's body temperature increase, meaning that one may literally "cook from the inside" if they take too much. Dosage considerations will be given later, but even an overdose of 4-6 times the recommended dosage may be lethal. Much smaller overdoses may result in damage to the brain and/or other body systems.

Carcinogenesis - Phenols in general are reputed to be carcinogenic. Although 2,4-dinitrophenol has never been implicated in a cancer diagnosis, some are nonetheless concerned, and understandably so. In addition to the inherent carcinogenic potential caused by its status as a phenol, production of free radicals and the release of various compounds stored in adipose tissue stores during DNP's rapid oxidation of fat may also potentially be harmful.

Death - This is self-explanatory and has occurred with several bodybuilders who chose to use this compound.

Side Effects:

Discomfort and sweating
- This is the single most noticeable effect of DNP use, both by the user and those around him/her. Even in the winter, while indoors at ambient temperatures, one may expect his or her shirt to be completely soaked through with sweat. Those with jobs requiring formal or semi-formal apparel are advised to consider other means of fat loss (or a new job, if preferred). Other obvious considerations lie in the areas of social life, personal appearance, etc. and the user must prioritize.

Insomnia - Second in frequency of reports to sweating and discomfort is insomnia; this may be at least partially attributed to discomfort. Possible means of countering this include such supplements as Valerian root or melatonin. Alternatively, one may deal with this via prescription or OTC sleep medications or GHB-A precursors. However, these may be addictive if used on a regular basis and if their use may be avoided, by all means abstain from using them.

Yellow bodily fluids
- Some don't notice this, but others find that all of their bodily fluids take on a yellowish appearance. Urine is a darker yellow, and even semen and vaginal secretions may be affected. According to current knowledge, this is not known to be harmful in and of itself.

Muscle Soreness
- This is yet another thing that may be minimized via cerebral function. Dan Duchaine has recommended using a weight such as to allow no fewer than 15 reps per set of any weight training workout; judging from anecdotal reports and personal experience, this seems to be good advice. Low levels of ATP are a cause of muscle soreness in and of itself; the additional factor of encumbered recovery mechanisms make extreme soreness (and if not careful, catabolism) quite possible.

Allergic Reactions
– These are highly individualized but may be summarily discussed. Various reactions are common with DNP use, and approximately 10% of users will be extremely allergic to it. Allergic reactions can include hives, blisters, and/or inexplicable rashes. If you suffer any of these side effects, and they are extremely bothersome, it is the recommendation of the author to cease usage immediately. If so desired, another trial may be made at a later date with a lower dosage, but do not attempt to continue the drug cycle at that point.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I thought it was bad because I never hear of anyone using it.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
I know of a certain former mod that may have used DNP at one time....

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
this sounds awesome. how large is a small dose? couldi drop it in my bosses coffee???

powerhouse21

Awards
  • Established
yeah nobody will care if you have a 6 pack in a coffin

bombBoogie

bombBoogie

Awards
  • Established
I tried it once and will never do it again, ever.
It was the worse one week experience, I threw out the rest. Threw up a good few times, felt like I had a minor bomb going off each dosage. Cold showers every half an hour and stained most of my bed sheets and pillow case.

deuce747

deuce747

Awards
I know a little over half a dozen people who have tried it. As long as you do it EXTREMLY carefully you will see results and not die! There have been studies with DNP taken for years at REALLY low doses. A recommended dose is 200mg a day for 2 weeks and then off for 2 weeks. Yes it is dangerous yes it CAN kill you but be careful and it is effective. People who die from it take ridiculous amounts such as 1g a day or were exposed to high amounts of it for long periods of time in the 30's when it was used as a pesticide. Out of the people i know who took it none of them died and all of them sheded fat like crazy. Be prepared to invest in fans and monitor your core temp every day a couple times a day! Do a lot of research before even considering touching the stuff there is a good FAQ about it over at bodybuilding.com under the steroid section(i know i know but its great info and something he should see) if you do still decide to take it make sure not to even come close to diuretics as that will kill you really fast (beer) even one can do a LOT of damage. Another thing is good luck finding it! if i could get some i would be using it. The guy who my friends used dried up he said it was too hard to cap because it does get everywhere and stains EVERYTHING bright yellow! According to him it even went through rubber dish washing gloves and a pair of surgical gloves. I hope this helps many people will respond to DNP with negative feedback who have never even tried it or seen it. It is one of those subjects that everyone hopped on the bandwagon and knows nothing about (think ephedra and the media) again be careful and do your own research!

Skyblue

Skyblue

Awards
so i could pour say 2 grams into a yellow gatorade and give to me manager yes?

deuce747

deuce747

Awards
COULD yes but he might die and you would have to live with that. To each his own but there are much easier ways to kill a man, and with easy to obtain chemicals. Try two drops of eyedrops in his drink i heard that is kinda fun.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
You really have to change your lifestyle when on DNP.

Parties - out.

Basically anything where you are around a bunch of people. Too much of a chance of your body temperature really taking off.

tops2heavy

tops2heavy

Awards
i agree its dangerous... but as dangerous as insulin.. well i dont buy that one bit... with dnp you can ramp dosages and as long as you do it gradually and with common sense it should never be a problem... with insulin you could stay at a moderate dose for weeks at a time and be fine , all the sudden out of no where hypo raises its ugly head

NYhomeboy

Awards
  • Established
Dnp

I've used it with almost miraculous results. Not at all as bad as people say it is, not by a long shot. Sorry, but you have to be somewhat of an idiot to die on an appropriate dose of DNP... your body has no trouble throwing off excess heat and if you're monitoring your body temperature you really won't go above normal. Sides are also proportional to the amount you take. No one's gonna die on 200mg of DNP, yet it still boasts a 26% increase in metabolism and you're probably not going to feel the heat. Neither clen nor ephedrine can equal that, and as someone who's gone up to 600mg of DNP (temperature constantly monitored), I would never dream of touching clen.

I don't know why DNP has such a bad rap on this forum. Check out meso's forum... more people who've actually used it post there and you won't hear about its supposed reputation from someone who knows someone who knows someone who took it.

Last edited:
TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Markio

Markio

Awards
I've used it with almost miraculous results. Not at all as bad as people say it is, not by a long shot. Sorry, but you have to be somewhat of an idiot to die on an appropriate dose of DNP... your body has no trouble throwing off excess heat and if you're monitoring your body temperature you really won't go above normal. Sides are also proportional to the amount you take. No one's gonna die on 200mg of DNP, yet it still boasts a 26% increase in metabolism and you're probably not going to feel the heat. Neither clen nor ephedrine can equal that, and as someone who's gone up to 600mg of DNP (temperature constantly monitored), I would never dream of touching clen.

I don't know why DNP has such a bad rap on this forum. Check out meso's forum... more people who've actually used it post there and you won't hear about its supposed reputation from someone who knows someone who knows someone who took it.
agreed 100% DNP has such a bad rep mostly from people who have never used it quoting others who have never used it say that it can kill you. Use it like you are meant to, and it is fine - just a bit of a sweaty experience!

deuce747

deuce747

Awards
Does that PDF exist anywhere else it says i have to join to read it and the link provided inside of the discussion is blank as well.

awmcdon

Awards
I have to agree with homeboy on this one. I've used it a few times with great success.
200mg every 12 hours for 1-2 weeks and the only side effects is night sweats. Hell most people get that with trenbolone. But if I go over two weeks I do start to feel like ****, just drained all the time. But as long as I keep it around 10-14 days, no problem and nothing burns fat better. I loose more fat in those 2 weeks than in 2 months of a conventional bodybuilder diet.

Jarconis

Jarconis

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
there was a kid over on FitnessGeared oh...about 3 years ago who was really researching DNP and he finally decided to try some, but what he didn't tell everyone was that he also was doing E and other drugs on a daily basis, and the poor kid died of a DNP overdose and his freakin mom got on there and told the board what happened, brutal stuff.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
DNP was a compound used to aid in weight loss back in the approx 1940s. In the 1940s, some physicians prescribed the drug DNP (dinitrophenol) to help patients lose weight. This treatment was abandoned after several patients died.
DNP works by uncoupling the chemiosmotic machinery by making the lipid bilayer of the inner mitrochondrial membrane leaky to H+.Synthesis of fatty acid in adipose tissue requires cooperation of mitochondrial and cytoplasmic enzymes. Mitochondria release energy from food molecules and transform energy into useable form via the production of ATP. ATP is the primary carrier of energy within your cells, and most cells die quickly in the absence of it.

This will tell your body will need to create more energy than usual to keep up with the demands DNP is placing on it. In addition, it will have to use more of the food you take in to produce that much-needed energy, and less of that food to create and store fat.

This is just some of what I remember from reading my old biochemistry notes and some stuff I copied up here. There's more to it im sure online else where.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Almost anything will kill you.
It's all about knowledge and moderation.
Here are some links to tylenol related deaths.

Tylenol

Acetaminophen (Tylenol) Deaths Reported

I am sure anything can kill you. Taking something like DNP for fatloss is just stupid though. The risk is too big, and it is not really meant for that purpose. With anything there is risk, but in my opinion and the majority or right mined people taking DNP is a STUPID IDEA!. You can't compare it to the risk from aceteminophen, thats apples to Watermelons!!!. Play it down all you want, it is a stupid dangerous risk to take. If there is a possibility of literally cooking yourself from the inside out, well then thats not worth it!!!

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
Yes, very dangerous chem--but it works ---you realy need to do a lot of reasearch to know what to expect--one thing I didnt like was after a 3 week cycle my lifting was realy suffering I tried taking low dose EPI but it didnt help---it took a while to bounce back---they say you dont lose muscle but DNP eats up all your ATP -- so in effect your also cutting off your muscle food supply---next time I may try to stack with ANAVAR

awmcdon

Awards
I am sure anything can kill you. Taking something like DNP for fatloss is just stupid though. The risk is too big, and it is not really meant for that purpose. With anything there is risk, but in my opinion and the majority or right mined people taking DNP is a STUPID IDEA!. You can't compare it to the risk from aceteminophen, thats apples to Watermelons!!!. Play it down all you want, it is a stupid dangerous risk to take. If there is a possibility of literally cooking yourself from the inside out, well then thats not worth it!!!
I'm not downplaying anything..........death is death........doesn't matter if it's caused by DNP or tylenol.
It's not the chemicals that kill.............it's stupid uninformed people.
Do you have any idea how many prescription drugs will kill you if you don't take them as prescribed??? That's dangerous and people wouldn't dare do that because they trust their doctor.........they were INFORMED by their doctor.
Most of the people dying of DNP use are stupid and uninformed.
Here's an example.........My cousin wanted to loose some weight so I gave her 10 DNP's and told her to take 1 a day. I told her how dangerous they were, tried to scare her out of taking them. The stupid bi*** took two as soon as she got them and swelled up like a water balloon. She was alergic to it. STUPID PEOPLE.

And by you saying that taking DNP for fat loss is stupid your calling me stupid. That's a matter of opinion.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not downplaying anything..........death is death........doesn't matter if it's caused by DNP or tylenol.
It's not the chemicals that kill.............it's stupid uninformed people.
Do you have any idea how many prescription drugs will kill you if you don't take them as prescribed??? That's dangerous and people wouldn't dare do that because they trust their doctor.........they were INFORMED by their doctor.
Most of the people dying of DNP use are stupid and uninformed.
Here's an example.........My cousin wanted to loose some weight so I gave her 10 DNP's and told her to take 1 a day. I told her how dangerous they were, tried to scare her out of taking them. The stupid bi*** took two as soon as she got them and swelled up like a water balloon. She was alergic to it. STUPID PEOPLE.

And by you saying that taking DNP for fat loss is stupid your calling me stupid. That's a matter of opinion.

I don't mean to call you stupid. I just think it is much easier to die from using something like DNP that is not meant for fat loss, then say Tylenol...Dnps original use was as a pesticide!. Ok now we could go back and fourth for a few months on this but I think I'll stop now because its becoming pointless.

Smiler51

Awards
I've tried it twice. Each time I got extremely sick after the 6th day and got the worst flu's of my life. I took 400mg a day. Some say that's an average dose. For me it's too much!

I think that some people can tolerate it very well, whereas others have to be careful with the dosing. It can be dangerous, but if you research it well enough and get all your anti-oxidants, etc. you could have good results.

I would recommend ECA any day over it though. Makes you feel good and have lots of energy. DNP will do the exact opposite to you.

rampage jackson

rampage jackson

Awards
  • Established
Did a cycle 2 years ago...didn't enjoy it much. You really have to change your whole life around it, which made it not worth it to me.

Conciliator

Conciliator

Awards
Who in their right mind would risk death in order to lose fat?
The same people who risk death when they take EC.

Whether the risks are worth the benefits is a matter of personal choice, depending on an individual's goals. For some, the profound fat loss is worth the relatively small risk of cataracts, the tiny risk of agranulocytosis, and the miniscule risk of an idiosyncratic tragedy. When the dosage of DNP is properly titrated and body temperature is monitored, the risk of overdosing with a fatal fever is virtually non-existent. When taken carelessly, it's still rare, but much more likely. DNP is one of the most misunderstood drugs in bodybuilding. The dangers and side effects are grossly overstated. Dan Duchaine put a cautionary spin on DNP that sent it in a certain direction. He probably realized that in the "more is better" world of bodybuilding, he had to be crystal clear about how serious proper dosing is. Ironically, though not surprisingly, bodybuilders have failed miserably in this regard, pushing the envelope, taking dangerous and excessive dosages, and then bltching about the side effects they essentially chose via that dosage. Fortunately, longer low-dose cycles are becoming more popular, in place of the dumb ass "inferno cycles" that were so common. In time, DNP's reputation will become more objective. For now, it's shrouded in a mountain of sensationalistic rhetoric.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
Who in their right mind would risk death in order to lose fat?
:goodpost:

100% true, I'd shoot up 10grams of testosterone before touching this ****.

Why not just take small-dose T3 off and on?

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I have decided against this stuff. I was mainly asking the question for my wife because neither one of us has heard it. I don't wan't her to die so ixnay on the DNP.

awmcdon

Awards
The same people who risk death when they take EC.

Whether the risks are worth the benefits is a matter of personal choice, depending on an individual's goals. For some, the profound fat loss is worth the relatively small risk of cataracts, the tiny risk of agranulocytosis, and the miniscule risk of an idiosyncratic tragedy. When the dosage of DNP is properly titrated and body temperature is monitored, the risk of overdosing with a fatal fever is virtually non-existent. When taken carelessly, it's still rare, but much more likely. DNP is one of the most misunderstood drugs in bodybuilding. The dangers and side effects are grossly overstated. Dan Duchaine put a cautionary spin on DNP that sent it in a certain direction. He probably realized that in the "more is better" world of bodybuilding, he had to be crystal clear about how serious proper dosing is. Ironically, though not surprisingly, bodybuilders have failed miserably in this regard, pushing the envelope, taking dangerous and excessive dosages, and then bltching about the side effects they essentially chose via that dosage. Fortunately, longer low-dose cycles are becoming more popular, in place of the dumb ass "inferno cycles" that were so common. In time, DNP's reputation will become more objective. For now, it's shrouded in a mountain of sensationalistic rhetoric.

Perfectly stated!

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
The whole sweating for a week would not work for me though. I don't understand why the pharm industry hasn't tried to market this in this day and age. I'm sure they could modifiy it so make it safer and with less side effects.

jarhead

jarhead

Awards
  • Established
Sure lots of things can kill you and lots of things can be used safely-but there is a HUGE difference between killing yourself with some of the quoted things such as water and tylenol, than there is with dnp. You have much less room for error. The lethal dose of dnp is only 4 times the effective dose AND you are dealing with a 36 hour halflife. If you take 8 aspirin you run no risk of dying. And water? PLEASE. These comparisons are just getting fing ridiculous.
Sure, like I said, it CAN be used safely, but making light of its dangers is irresponsible. Alot of the things we use have risks, it's just that some pose greater risks than others. It all comes down to personal choice and what an individual is willing to risk for the sake of vanity.

Conciliator

Conciliator

Awards
Sure, like I said, it CAN be used safely, but making light of its dangers is irresponsible. Alot of the things we use have risks, it's just that some pose greater risks than others. It all comes down to personal choice and what an individual is willing to risk for the sake of vanity.
The problem is that the risk of dying from DNP is grossly overstated. Yes, it's a substance that needs to be used intelligently, but no, it's not half as dangerous as most imagine it to be.

Yagman

Yagman

Board Supporter
Awards
Originally Posted by buff87
I just wanted to comment on this part...

I have ran maybe 3-4 DNP cycles... First one low dose the others
much higher doses and have always had 20/20 vision my whole life...
In the last year my eye sight has suffered... I no longer have 20/20
vision and have a hard time focusing on things more then 20' away...
I have talked to one other well known Mod that has run alot more
cycles and is 10 years younger then myself that has experienced the
same problems with his eye sight... We have talked about it in private..
I guess no one likes to admit to suffering any side effects and I have
not brought it up until now myself... Who wants to admit they used
something that did some kind of damage to them?

This is the only side effect that I can see can happen quite easily and one
that seems not to reverse itself either... ...but this side effect is very common and not talked about enuf....

Conciliator

Conciliator

Awards
Originally Posted by buff87
I just wanted to comment on this part...

I have ran maybe 3-4 DNP cycles... First one low dose the others
much higher doses and have always had 20/20 vision my whole life...
In the last year my eye sight has suffered... I no longer have 20/20
vision and have a hard time focusing on things more then 20' away...
I have talked to one other well known Mod that has run alot more
cycles and is 10 years younger then myself that has experienced the
same problems with his eye sight... We have talked about it in private..
I guess no one likes to admit to suffering any side effects and I have
not brought it up until now myself... Who wants to admit they used
something that did some kind of damage to them?

This is the only side effect that I can see can happen quite easily and one
that seems not to reverse itself either... ...but this side effect is very common and not talked about enuf....
DNP is linked specifically to cataracts, not to any loss of visual acuity.

smc252

Awards
  • Established
T3 is notoriously catabolic. DNP isn't... among other reasons.
In all honesty,
DNP may not be as dangerous as people say, but the fact remains that it is a cellular metabolic poison. It was around in the 1930s for dieting and died out for a reason. Not to mention side effects such as cataracts and fever leading to death.

Deaths are rare but aren't unheard of: Dying to be thin: a dinitrophenol related fatality. [Vet Hum Toxicol. 2004] - PubMed Result

Thyroid hormone + growth hormone = ultimate safer fat burning stack?
The growth hormones are going to stop the catabolic effects of T3, and are even synergestic with T4, as it converts in the liver.

aragorn1500

aragorn1500

Awards
I tried the crystal DNP and for two + weeks all I did was sweat a little at night. The caps are dosed at 250mg and I was running 500mg for more than 11 days and did not get the results that most claim.

Conciliator

Conciliator

Awards
Uhh... cataracts affect visual acuity.
Right, but cataracts (and DNP-induced catarats specifically) are distinct from other visual impairments that also affect acuity. When people say "I have a hard time focusing on things more then 20' away" or other vague changes in acuity, all evidence says it's not the DNP. Cataracts from DNP are unique and identifiable. Let me quote Horner:
From these case reports it became apparent that dinitrophenol cataracts presented certain new and characteristic features:

(1) They occurred in young women who were physically normal save for varying degrees of obesity, and who were all in an age group in which senile cataract does not occur. [Note that there were three case reports in men] (2) The cataracts were bilateral, and appeared either during or following periods of "slimming" treatment with dinitrobodies. (3) An interval of months or years might elapse between the time the last dose was taken and the onset of blurred vision. (4) The lens changes were strikingly similar, and could be demonstrated by the biomicroscope at a time when vision for distance and reading was still normal. (5) After a gradual onset, the lens changes progressed with startling rapidity until vision was obscured. (6) Treatment was without effect in staying their progress. (7) Surgical extraction of the lens was uniformly successful in restoring vision.

Conciliator

Conciliator

Awards
I tried the crystal DNP and for two + weeks all I did was sweat a little at night. The caps are dosed at 250mg and I was running 500mg for more than 11 days and did not get the results that most claim.
I'd bet that you were using the sodium salt of DNP, which means you were probably taking from 300-375mg/day of actual DNP, not 500mg.

I'd also bet that you were expecting to lose a pound a day (which is not a reasonable expectation) and that you ended up losing 3-5 pounds in those 11 days, which is consistent with your dosage.

MuscleBound1337

MuscleBound1337

Awards
  • Established
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Conciliator again.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Cheeky Monkey Supplements 22
RickyBlobby Anabolics 25
Anabolics 1
Supplements 37
mmorso Anabolics 26