birth control and fat loss?

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.56%

birth control and fat loss?

My wife is taking Ortho Tri-Cyclin Lo for birth control and is extremely unhappy that she can't drop bf around her thighs/butt/hips. It doesn't matter how hard she works out, it doesn't make a dent... she is 5'2 and 118... great to me, not to her... is there anything she could take to drop extra bf other than what she is already doin? She eats very clean and works out 4X a week, both weights and cardio...

2. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Maybe look into a non-hormonal birth control
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.9%

dude, BC made my woman lose weight... worst come to worst at least its keeping her from gaining alot of weight
    BTW she is taking the exact same type too.
    5'2" 118 omg... not fat at all... Make sure she is working all muscle groups and maybe have her try some cortisol blockers or dialene.
    Has she tried cardio in the morning on an empty stomach? Ephedra?
    I have not yet seen a reliable non-hormonal birth control that doesnt either A. make sex suck(condoms, pulling out) or B. is such a pain in the ass for her that she will not want to do it.(diaphragm, spermicide ect...) unless you just stick to oral sex... Hormonal BC is just the only way to fly.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.9%

Just thinking about this some more, what if the sudden change in hormones (progesterone) caused her cortisol levels to jump kind of like the same thing we run into with test. If so my best guess would be to wait a few weeks and see if it gets better or purchase a cortisol blocker. Just be sure it does not interact with the OTC BC. We wouldnt want any little swoodies popping up everywhere.
  5. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%

Quote Originally Posted by brywal312 View Post
    dude, BC made my woman lose weight... worst come to worst at least its keeping her from gaining alot of weight
    BTW she is taking the exact same type too.
    5'2" 118 omg... not fat at all... Make sure she is working all muscle groups and maybe have her try some cortisol blockers or dialene.
    Has she tried cardio in the morning on an empty stomach? Ephedra?
    I have not yet seen a reliable non-hormonal birth control that doesnt either A. make sex suck(condoms, pulling out) or B. is such a pain in the ass for her that she will not want to do it.(diaphragm, spermicide ect...) unless you just stick to oral sex... Hormonal BC is just the only way to fly.
    I have the Paragard Copper IUD in and its good for 10yrs. I don't mess with it at all, nor does my husband notice it. No hormones at all. Although I would be careful with messing with some supplements that it doesn't mess up the effectiveness of her hormonal birth control, or you might get to be a daddy!

I do agree with a cortisol blocker as well as that she isn't big at all. But we all have our own insecurities. Its nice your supporting her.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    82.56%

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    I have the Paragard Copper IUD in and its good for 10yrs. I don't mess with it at all, nor does my husband notice it. No hormones at all. Although I would be careful with messing with some supplements that it doesn't mess up the effectiveness of her hormonal birth control, or you might get to be a daddy!

I do agree with a cortisol blocker as well as that she isn't big at all. But we all have our own insecurities. Its nice your supporting her.
    Thanks for the feedback... I just want her to feel confident in herself. She hates it cause her sex drive has gone down the sh1tter too...and obviously less sex REALLY sucks if your a guy... A cortisol blocker might help... can you expand a little on the Paragard Copper IUD? I don't think I will use it as BC helps her deal with periods (she has REALLY bad cramps without it), but I'd still like to know for my own knowledge.
  7. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%

You can go to ParaGard Homepage to read about it. Its implanted in to block the opening of your cervix(well not yours..lol I hope) Its nice because it requires no maintenance I've had it in for 7 years with no sides from it. No hormonal mood swings or weight fluctuations.

I'm on the 11-oxo for cortisol control. I also take Sesathin, DCP and green tea caps. The lipoderm ultra is good topically as well. I'm going to get more of it when NP gets the bulk in stock.

edited to add: has she ever been checked for endometriosis? That causes really bad cramps that make you sick. After I had kids my cramping quit. The mirena iud is hormonal but its local...I think it stops periods, you would have to read up on it. Its good for like 6yrs?
  8. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    52.9%

hmm... that paragard thing looks pretty nice! I may have to pass this info on to my gurl. She has a little problem with forgetting pills, catching up on them then getting super paranoid at "that" time of the month if she is even a day late.
  10. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.9%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I know this is a old thread but I recently had a seminar about bc and weight gain and women complaining they can't drop weight or gain weight on bc. There are many many many people out there that workout all the time and have a clean diet and can't drop weight but you can't just assume it's the bc. There are way too many factors that come into play. Maybe her body is used to her routine and she's not effectively challenging herself. Also atleast she's not gaining weight. I would be concerned if she was working out all the time and clean diet and still gaining weight. Then I would suspect the bc from hormal changes as a possibility. Don't know where she is now but "we" as a society tend to point fingers or blame things very quickly when we don't see results. Not to say there's not science behind bc and keeping on weight but in no way does bc guarantee that that's the reason she can't drop weight.
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  11. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.17%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

I agree. Usually bc doesn't cause weight gain. An interuterin device could be the way to go if her issue is hormonal, but it has it's risks as well.
  12. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.68%

really on ortho-low? interesting. my gf takes that and she can't gain or lose a pound either way. weird..
  13. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.17%

lifting really heavy weights will help your girl lose weight. Squats and deadlifts are amazing!
  14. CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.08%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My wife gained weight on the first BC she was on, she switched to ortho-low and has not had any problems. Going to have to look into the IUD crader mentioned as she has an antigen deficiency so she can no longer take BC due to clotting potential.
  15. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%

I have severe reactions to all hormonal birth control. Low dose stuff made me bleed severely every single day and when the OB upped it to stop the bleeding I threw up every single day!
    This also seems to be a good indicator for people who get severe morning sickness while pregnant.

My IUD has been the best thing that I ever did. I have had zero sides!!
  16. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.68%

Quote Originally Posted by babywifey View Post
    lifting really heavy weights will help your girl lose weight. Squats and deadlifts are amazing!
    she dont need to lose weight. she's 5'6 about 125.
  17. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.17%

Yeah, that's for sure! She is perfectly fine at the weight that she is. I wouldn't suggest that she lose any.
  18. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'11"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.9%
    Achievements Posting Pro

My fiance has been on orthro tricyclen for almost 2 months now. She's 5' 3" 99lbs and says she has always ate tons of food cause everyone has called her a tooth pick all her life and she wishes she would gain weight. She told me.. hey maybe on the pill I'll finally gain weight. I told her she looks perfect. She has a amazing body! I can't keep my hands off her.. LOL..She's just a small girl. Petite.. Put 10lbs on her frame and she would look overweight. She's insecure about her small arms and legs. I told her I'll help her pack on a few lbs of solid muscle So far so good on the pill. Just some headaches that go away quickly. She had heavy periods and was anemic but now her periods are light so it's actually helping her anemia and she has acne too so we are hoping it helps that as well. We'll see how it goes... we are not planning on having kids..
    ôLord, whom shall we go away to? You have sayings of everlasting life"- John 6:68

WHAT has science offered?
  19. CEL Rep (Z's lacky)
    Stats
    5'10"  175 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.08%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by crader View Post
    I have severe reactions to all hormonal birth control. Low dose stuff made me bleed severely every single day and when the OB upped it to stop the bleeding I threw up every single day!
    This also seems to be a good indicator for people who get severe morning sickness while pregnant.

My IUD has been the best thing that I ever did. I have had zero sides!!
    Just curious, have you ever had your protein C antigen checked? That is similar to what my wife experienced. I am so glad I saw this thread as I am having her look into that IUD and it looks promising.
  20. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'3"  126 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.56%

Quote Originally Posted by Usf97j4x4 View Post
    Just curious, have you ever had your protein C antigen checked? That is similar to what my wife experienced. I am so glad I saw this thread as I am having her look into that IUD and it looks promising.

No I've never had it checked, wnat does your wife have?

Similar Forum Threads

1. Birth Control and Weight Loss
    By bassgirl in forum Female Fitness
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-19-2007, 04:37 PM
  2. Insulin regulation and fat loss
    By zachs in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
  3. Vitamin C and Fat Loss
    By BOHICA in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2