Helping a GF lose weight, advice?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have a girl friend that wants to lose weight. I think she is around 125-135 if that, and 21 y/o.

Now she told me she just started fasting today and will only drink water, tea, and some detox stuff (assuming the tea)... I told her im not sure the weightloss will last long. IMO, i think logically the body will pack on weight once fed again. She says she wants to clear her body of all the bad food and then start to eat healthy.
Will this 10 day fasting thing work?

I told her i would help here get in better shape and lose weight (she doesnt even look that bad) so can you guys help me a lil bit? Im a stranger to weightloss as ive always been trying to gain all my life.

She doesnt eat meat, only chicken once in a while and fish. I wanted to come up with a meal plan for her once i can figure out her maint. cals.
She is pretty serious about it.

So what do you think of her fasting plan and any other advice guys? Id really like to help her along this, i like when females decide to take care of themselves fitness & healthwise.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd say try and go with somthing like ON's Any Whey to add to things she eats. My bro's gf did somtihing crazy like this and I talked her into takeing it. She can put in just about anything and its virtually tasteless, you can even bake with it.

She can add some sugar-free tang w/ the Any Whey, it just makes it thicker....like an orange craemsickle smoothie or somthing.

Did she give up all food for the 10days?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did a fast a few weeks back and I can honestly say that I felt really good when I was done. That being said, 10 days is was too long; if she reduced it to about two days and eats organic fruits and vegetables, then she will be good at that point.

Weight loss is all about cardio and diet. Have her do a food log for about a week to see about how much she eats and do both HIIT cardio and distance cardio.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later

hahaha, guess im a generous guy!

thank you both for the responses i will keep this thread going as i talk to her and see how things go. THis is my friend btw not lover lol.

I told her the same Rodja, someone else told her that no matter how much cardio she does she wont lose and i said its a combo of both. Ill get her signed up for the gym i go to.

Very good advice to DW, never thought of that for her. I need to get some of that too btw :)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later

hahaha, guess im a generous guy!

thank you both for the responses i will keep this thread going as i talk to her and see how things go. THis is my friend btw not lover lol.

I told her the same Rodja, someone else told her that no matter how much cardio she does she wont lose and i said its a combo of both. Ill get her signed up for the gym i go to.

Very good advice to DW, never thought of that for her. I need to get some of that too btw :)
Whoever told her that cardio does not impact someone's physique is an idiot; yes, it is better to cross-train, but HIIT cardio reshapes the body very quickly. It especially does a great job of toning the legs, hips, butt, and abs.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Cyclical carb restriction would be more effective than all around fasting. Protein intake should not be restricted, and EFAs are just that - essential. Also, carb restriction should not include Fiber, as that should be a daily staple.

Grab some psyllium fiber, a good fish oil (or blended "Udo's Oil" type supp), and some quality whey protein, then look into one the many carb cycling diets floating around the net.

Finally, be sure she is taking in a decent multivitamin geared towards women EVERY day, along with a good antioxidant.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whoever told her that cardio does not impact someone's physique is an idiot; yes, it is better to cross-train, but HIIT cardio reshapes the body very quickly. It especially does a great job of toning the legs, hips, butt, and abs.
yea theres been alot of garbage on TV about "Cardio = No weight loss" just weight training and a low cal diet.

Its workd for people, but the thing is most the people I seen were GIGANTIC when they started and are now just big. They say "I lost 78lbs in 10months on this, I love it" To this is say well pal ur stil 40lbs heavier than you should be, and your beging to pleatue with your weightloss, hrm...weird

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yea theres been alot of garbage on TV about "Cardio = No weight loss" just weight training and a low cal diet.

Its workd for people, but the thing is most the people I seen were GIGANTIC when they started and are now just big. They say "I lost 78lbs in 10months on this, I love it" To this is say well pal ur stil 40lbs heavier than you should be, and your beging to pleatue with your weightloss, hrm...weird
Most people ignore the fact that cardio health is just as important as body composition. I used to neglect cardio, but now that I have integrated it into my training, I sleep better, breathe better, and sex is much better:cheers:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I sleep better, breathe better, and sex is much better:cheers:
Is that because your hand has much more endurance, and doesn't tire out as fast?

nelix

Awards
  • Established
Also, if you wanna help the girl out, cook romantic healthy meals for her. Pay attention to good proteins, EFA, fibre and low carbs.
She will love you and the food.

joecski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Also, if you wanna help the girl out, cook romantic healthy meals for her. Pay attention to good proteins, EFA, fibre and low carbs.
She will love you and the food.

Another thing I've found is many women eat way too little and too infrequently. Try to convice her to eat more often, just better choices. Go shopping for healthy food and snacks, it's more fun than it sounds!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks alot guys. ill rep you all when im allowed to again, guess i gave out to much. Ill talk with her tommorrow and see how her fasting is doing.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Another thing I've found is many women eat way too little and too infrequently. Try to convice her to eat more often, just better choices. Go shopping for healthy food and snacks, it's more fun than it sounds!
AHHHHHH that is the most frustrating thing about women when it comes to weight loss!! My GF only weighs 115. She is tiny, certainly doesn't need to lose any more weight but anyway she is determined to lose a few kilos.............it is virtually impossible to get it thorugh to her that she need to eat more small meals throughout the day rather then one meal and a smoothy. At the moment she'l eat a sandwich or have a carrot juice for lunch then nothing for the rest of the day and she thinks she has done herself a huge favour and dinner if she eats it is normally crap like a few slices of pizza, but because she's only had the one other meal she thinks its ok......seriously its like talking to a brick wall.

Does anyone know any good books/sites for women because she wont listen to me at all unlike the HerbalLife salesman she bought 2lbs of Soy protein from for 50 pounds last week!!

quigley

Awards
  • Established
Another 1000 'scientific' pages will demonstrate with very convincing evidence otherwise.

people say organic fruit is worse for u than non organic.

Chocolate is good. Diet doesnt affect acne. Diet does affect acne. Benozly peroxide is good for pimples. Salycilic acid is better.

There is always conflicting views. What do you believe? Whatever works for you. If a detox helps your health then do it, if it doesnt then dont do it again.

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
IM experience, bedroom cardio has been the best weight loss alternative for GF's, but I guess if she's not THAT sort of GF, other methods may be called for. Just going for a 3-4 mile walk every night would help TONS. If she's too winded / exhausted to do a 3-4 mile walk (~1 hour) then she's so carb starved that she's going hypo.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
IM experience, bedroom cardio has been the best weight loss alternative for GF's, but I guess if she's not THAT sort of GF, other methods may be called for. Just going for a 3-4 mile walk every night would help TONS. If she's too winded / exhausted to do a 3-4 mile walk (~1 hour) then she's so carb starved that she's going hypo.
thanks for the help. We are going running/walking tommarrow, i guess the 10day fast thing isnt working to well. She said that she could fit in her old jeans but as of yesterday cant again. I told her to join the gym but she says she has to much bills and asked me to pay for it, yeah RIGHT! lol. She said how much running do i need to do to lose these pounds, i said some good sex would do the job hint hint. Id bang her just for the cardio! lol. Maybe i shouldnt have said that because i was going to tell her about this site and this thread so she could log on and read everyone's advice/comments...:lol:

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the help. We are going running/walking tommarrow, i guess the 10day fast thing isnt working to well. She said that she could fit in her old jeans but as of yesterday cant again. I told her to join the gym but she says she has to much bills and asked me to pay for it, yeah RIGHT! lol. She said how much running do i need to do to lose these pounds, i said some good sex would do the job hint hint. Id bang her just for the cardio! lol. Maybe i shouldnt have said that because i was going to tell her about this site and this thread so she could log on and read everyone's advice/comments...:lol:
Well in 'lieue' of the whole site thing you could buy her:

The Great American Sex Diet: Where the Only Thing You Nibble On... Is Your Partner!

ISBN-10: 0066212782
ISBN-13: 978-0066212784

Lol. It actually worked for one of my previous GF's, ahem.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
thats a great idea. I'll have to try going for more than 5 min. next time. :lol:

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
and it burns 15 calories to open my wallet and leave $40 on the nightstand.

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
LMAO. You know, that could be a new gym idea. The Bunny Gym, build it right next to the bunny ranch!

/me begins looking for investors...

ultra2extreme

Awards
Does anyone know any good books/sites for women because she wont listen to me at all unlike the HerbalLife salesman she bought 2lbs of Soy protein from for 50 pounds last week!!

HAHAHA

"Herbalife, Shiny reps conning fat people with big words since 1954"

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
so we did 2 miles at the track the other day, i taught her how to stretch etc. told her about this thread and the basics of weight loss. calories, calories used, maint. cals, proper diet, etc.

she likes to be outdoors so probably wont join the gym. I would feel real good if she developed a hot bod because of me! Now i have my sister even asking me to make her a diet plan when i have the chance.....thinking of doing this for a future job. seems like its fulfilling (personal trainer) I always wanted a job that actually helps people. Not like mine right now, i help in-animate objects keep functioning :woohoo: :rolleyes:

ultra2extreme

Awards
...thinking of doing this for a future job. seems like its fulfilling (personal trainer) I always wanted a job that actually helps people. Not like mine right now, i help in-animate objects keep functioning :woohoo: :rolleyes:
you're a brave man, the kind of people who use personal trainers to get in shape are usually junk food addicts who just want to throw money at their fat until someone else puts in all the effort that they cant be bothered too.

People who 'can't' lose weight pee me right off because they cry on your shoulder about how hard it all is and how desperate they are to be in shape, then in the next breath sit eating a pizza (with DIET coke of course), blissfully (and deliberately) ignorant that it is for this very reason they are overweight.

My theory is that people who cant lose weight just get too much enjoyment out of food, they dont realise it but they are actually HAPPIER being fat and lazy than they would be if they were slim and fit. They are mezmirized by the concept of a slim physique but are completely incapable of dealing with the reality of it. Thats one of the main reasons plastic surgery is so profitable, people will pay through the nose to attain this elusive state of perfection yet end up scarred, weak and often a whole lot less attractive than when they started.

Rant over

Not aiming this at everyone obviously but with reference to the quoted text its highly relevent

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know what you mean, this chick is 125lbs which isnt bad, but she says she wants to lose so she can fit her clothes again, i guess she put on 20lbs in a short while. On her myspace it has a picture of nichole richie and says that she thinks she has a hot bod, that worried me....seems like she loves eating candy so i had to explain that to her. Also, some people cannnot drive themselves...you have to see your goal, the whole reason for why you are doing what you are doing and work for it. We know what thats like...

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
I know what you mean, this chick is 125lbs which isnt bad, but she says she wants to lose so she can fit her clothes again, i guess she put on 20lbs in a short while. On her myspace it has a picture of nichole richie and says that she thinks she has a hot bod, that worried me....seems like she loves eating candy so i had to explain that to her. Also, some people cannnot drive themselves...you have to see your goal, the whole reason for why you are doing what you are doing and work for it. We know what thats like...
To be frank, the most popular female diet is the near starvation diet. I dated a girl for a few years who was skinny, but still 30 percent body fat. She had NO muscle to speak of, and no metabolism either. She had cannibalized all her muscle by eating a breath mint for breakfast, 2 packets of honey for lunch, and something always under 500 calories for dinner. She told me she was a 'camel', but truthfully she was in constant starvation mode. Because of this if she EVER ate anything of real substance it was instantaneous fat bloat. I slowly worked her onto an Atkins like diet, substituting the honey packets for protein cookies, and breath mint for a really good tasting balance bar for breakfast. Eventually her metabolism recovered and with some gym time she dropped 10 percent BF and a pants size or two, with no noticeable change in weight. She finally gave up because she 'wasn't losing any weight'.

I dumped her at that point as she was a lost cause, seriously. If you can't get it through her head that it's about the body composition and not about the weight, she'll never be 'healthy'. She'll always try to starve herself and in the end, just gain it all back.

Like the previous poster who mentioned the pizza eating diet coke drinking people, less food is great, but a better muscle to fat ratio is key. It's all fine and dandy with a starvation diet until you eat one morsel of food, then it's all over, PLUMP!

If you are driven by the scale, then you can never be truly 'happy' with your gains as a female. Most women are very high BF even if they look skinny and great in a bikini. They maintain that physique through shear calorie starvation. So the second they get in the gym they may even GAIN weight as they put on a lbs or two of muscle. And then they get discouraged and quit, because they are driven by this crazy thing called a scale.

That's why the vast majority of married women gain a huge number of pounds. They have no metabolism to speak of because of their crazily bad dieting. The man makes them eat 'anything' even if it's healthy and they explode like Opera on a binge, even though they're not really eating unhealthy or a lot for that matter.

The lesson is, you have to get a female to understand that muscle doesn't make them 'butch' and it helps them burn more fat. The key is increasing the resting metabolism through a higher muscle to fat ratio, not burning a few calories on a tread mill in the end. Temporarily burning calories for awhile will only temporarily keep the weight off until you quit, then it all comes back unless you stay on a very strict diet. Thus, the weight loss is always met with failure.

Anyways, that's my sermon for the day. I'll step off the pulpit now.

p.s. you should get your GF to get her BF tested, because that will tell her more than anything her scale readings will.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well thanks for that brah i know exactly what you mean.

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
See if you can get her doing some of the body scuplting things that you can do at home. Like squats with a regular chair, or some floor ab work. Or do some deadlifts and curls using things like paint cans or heavier things she already has at home?

That along with some jogging might help?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
well just an update to this one...

She joined my 24 fitness club. She talked to some trainers and she is really into it now. She said its really fun and that she is going to go to a class everyday or so. Her goal was to lose the weight she wanted to in two months but a trainer said she could do it in 1. Im happy for her and i hope she carries this lifestyle in the future and continues to learn.

asianbabe

asianbabe

Awards
  • Established
Hey PP, good to see that she's getting into the gym.. group classes are pretty fun and motivating, she would probably like it, then you can eventually get her to play with the weights, coz that's where the good lookin' men are :p

To be frank, the most popular female diet is the near starvation diet. I dated a girl for a few years who was skinny, but still 30 percent body fat. She had NO muscle to speak of, and no metabolism either. She had cannibalized all her muscle by eating a breath mint for breakfast, 2 packets of honey for lunch, and something always under 500 calories for dinner. She told me she was a 'camel', but truthfully she was in constant starvation mode. Because of this if she EVER ate anything of real substance it was instantaneous fat bloat. I slowly worked her onto an Atkins like diet, substituting the honey packets for protein cookies, and breath mint for a really good tasting balance bar for breakfast. Eventually her metabolism recovered and with some gym time she dropped 10 percent BF and a pants size or two, with no noticeable change in weight. She finally gave up because she 'wasn't losing any weight'.

I dumped her at that point as she was a lost cause, seriously. If you can't get it through her head that it's about the body composition and not about the weight, she'll never be 'healthy'. She'll always try to starve herself and in the end, just gain it all back.

Like the previous poster who mentioned the pizza eating diet coke drinking people, less food is great, but a better muscle to fat ratio is key. It's all fine and dandy with a starvation diet until you eat one morsel of food, then it's all over, PLUMP!

If you are driven by the scale, then you can never be truly 'happy' with your gains as a female. Most women are very high BF even if they look skinny and great in a bikini. They maintain that physique through shear calorie starvation. So the second they get in the gym they may even GAIN weight as they put on a lbs or two of muscle. And then they get discouraged and quit, because they are driven by this crazy thing called a scale.

That's why the vast majority of married women gain a huge number of pounds. They have no metabolism to speak of because of their crazily bad dieting. The man makes them eat 'anything' even if it's healthy and they explode like Opera on a binge, even though they're not really eating unhealthy or a lot for that matter.

The lesson is, you have to get a female to understand that muscle doesn't make them 'butch' and it helps them burn more fat. The key is increasing the resting metabolism through a higher muscle to fat ratio, not burning a few calories on a tread mill in the end. Temporarily burning calories for awhile will only temporarily keep the weight off until you quit, then it all comes back unless you stay on a very strict diet. Thus, the weight loss is always met with failure.

Anyways, that's my sermon for the day. I'll step off the pulpit now.

p.s. you should get your GF to get her BF tested, because that will tell her more than anything her scale readings will.
Insightful post.

Honestly, most girls who want to lose weight seem to only want that. They don't care if they lose it as muscle or fat, they don't care if they end up skinny fat, so long as they are "smaller" than they are now and can fit into clothes one size smaller... sad, but meh~

:burg:

ultra2extreme

Awards
Insightful post.

Honestly, most girls who want to lose weight seem to only want that. They don't care if they lose it as muscle or fat, they don't care if they end up skinny fat, so long as they are "smaller" than they are now and can fit into clothes one size smaller... sad, but meh~

I have to lecture this stuff to my gf daily to keep her at it. It's not like i care if shes fat or thin but i do care that she's happy. She is at something of a disadvantage having full body rhumatoid arthritis, brought on by a reaction to childhood innoculations. However i play this down as much as possible as she has been 'pampered' all her life and told that she doesnt have to do something if its hard or painful.

I'm the opposite, if something is hard or painful i'll do it just to prove a point, and i wont look for the get out clause in anything. I try to get this attitude to rub off on her and because of it i train twice as hard and diet twice as perfectly as i need to so that she doesn't feel like its impossible. Sadly this leads to her telling me im unsupportive and not compassionate. This maybe true, but im not gonna throw a beer and pizza party every time she does 30 mins on a treadmill, i try to tell her that the achievement is in 6 weeks of 5-day cardio and a stone or so of lost fat, sniffing for a treat (metaphorically) for a tiny step in the right direction is dangerous and i feel if i gave in i would be letting her down.

Currently i seem to have succeeded in convincing her to try to gain leg muscle, explaining that women can hold it better on their legs. Hawever like most women she still seems under the illusion that once you lose the weight that it stays gone, and i keep telling her that for the body she wants she will need to exercise for pretty much the rest of her life, it seems such a harsh reality to her, like all the other slim girls somehow stay like that by accident or without effort.

Women....do....my....head....in!

Rant over

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established

It's not all garbage...

While I think cardio has it's place, it isn't the 'fat burner' that people think that it is. Doing cardio for cardiovascular health is important, But if you are a male and interested in hypertrophy/strength, all cardio should be performed POST workout. Females are a little different, as they typically aren't interested in getting 'big', but it still relevant. Studies have shown that if given a choice between endurance and size, your body will always choose endurance. By doing resistance training first and cardio afterwards, your body will not lean towards endurance.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1526539

Overweight subjects were assigned to three groups: diet-only, diet plus aerobics, diet plus aerobics plus weights. The diet group lost 14.6 pounds of fat in 12 weeks. The aerobic group lost only one more pound (15.6 pounds) than the diet group (training was three times a week starting at 30 minutes and progressing to 50 minutes over the 12 weeks).

The weight training group lost 21.1 pounds of fat (44% and 35% more than diet and aerobic only groups respectively). Basically, the addition of aerobic training didn't result in any real world significant fat loss over dieting alone.

Thirty-six sessions of up to 50 minutes is a lot of work for one additional pound of fat loss. However, the addition of resistance training greatly accelerated fat loss results.

One more:

The aerobic group performed four hours of aerobics per week. The resistance training group performed 2-4 sets of 8-15 reps, 10 exercises, three times per week.

V02 max increased equally in both groups. Both groups lost weight. The resistance training group lost significantly more fat and didn't lose any LBM, even at only 800 calories per day. (The reason the calories were so low was to really take any dietary variables completely out of the equation and compare the effects of the exercise regime on LBM and metabolism.)

The resistance training group actually increased metabolism compared to the aerobic group, which decreased metabolism. It seems that resistance training is a more significant stress to the body than a starvation diet.

SatireWolf

SatireWolf

Awards
  • Established
Hey PP, good to see that she's getting into the gym.. group classes are pretty fun and motivating, she would probably like it, then you can eventually get her to play with the weights, coz that's where the good lookin' men are :p

Insightful post.

Yeah, and that ideology drives me nuts. I'd rather have a girl built like a soccer player with large strong legs and nice bum, and a small humble chest and be fit, but still not 'thin' than a skinny fat girl with fake boobs.

The other issue is girls with wide hips wanting to fit into size 0 jeans... You gotta deal with your physiology and make the best of it...