keto question

1. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.65%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

keto question

yeah so ive jumped onto the keto bandwagon and i have a few question..

1. no milk because of lactose right?
    2. you say you can eat cheese but its made from milk...
    3. what about the small trace carbs found in some meats?
    4. saturated fat okay? (bacon, etc).
    5. could i go to mcdonalds and eat two plane double cheesburgers as long as i dont eat the bun?

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.41%

Ah, hop onboard, all are welcome. I'll try to answer your questions the best I can. I'm sure more knowledgable people can answer them fully.

1. no milk because of lactose right?
    Generally, not, I avoid milk. I don't know what the ingredients are for full fat milk so I can't say about the carb content.

you say you can eat cheese but its made from milk...
    No, you can eat cheese. Cheese has very little carbs around <1 a slice. You would have to eat a lot of cheese to get 30+.

what about the small trace carbs found in some meats?
    Certain things like hotdogs and such can contain hidden carbs but meat like steak, chicken, etc shouldn't contain a lot. Check the package for bacon and such before you buy. I suggest you find out how many carbs you can eat without getting out of keto. I can usually get around 50 a day.

saturated fat okay? (bacon, etc).
    Yeah, sat. fat is ok. Just don't go overboard getting all sat fat and make sure to take a couple tbsps of flax.

could i go to mcdonalds and eat two plane double cheesburgers as long as i dont eat the bun?
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can do that. Just eat the burger...I'm sure it's nice and greasy cooking from the same grill as the rest.

Some advice. I'm sure others do this. When I have a set date I'm going into keto, I'll gradually lower my carbs making it easier to get in when I go full blown keto.

That's my advice, like I said I'm sure someone like Bobo can further explain for you. Hopefully I not too wrong.
  3. Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    34%

1. No milk.....but smaller amounts of cottage cheese makes a great late night snack before bed.

2. Most cheeses only contain a few carbs per oz. Read the package......Chedders, feta's ect......are usually lower carb.

3. Don't worry about trace carbs....as they add up to almost nothing.

4.Not only ok, but many claim it will actually help reach ketosis initially and after carb-ups. A ballance of fats is best IMO.......(flax and/or fish oil is a must IMO)

5. No you cannot have 2 plane double burgers, but 2 PLAIN double burgers without the bun is ok.

PEACE
    •   

4. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.65%

Originally posted by chi_town
    1. No milk.....but smaller amounts of cottage cheese makes a great late night snack before bed.

2. Most cheeses only contain a few carbs per oz. Read the package......Chedders, feta's ect......are usually lower carb.

3. Don't worry about trace carbs....as they add up to almost nothing.

4.Not only ok, but many claim it will actually help reach ketosis initially and after carb-ups. A ballance of fats is best IMO.......(flax and/or fish oil is a must IMO)

5. No you cannot have 2 plane double burgers, but 2 PLAIN double burgers without the bun is ok.

PEACE
    great replies!

funny you mention my mistake with plain.. because i was typing fast and caught that myself.. somehow i got distracted and i guess i didnt fix it.. i usually tease the **** out of people for mistakes like that too (hell im a nuclear physicist)..
    one more question..
    1. how many carbs per day (on average) can i consume? and green veggies are okay right?

5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.41%

On average, of course individuals it varies, I would say between 30-50. Test them out. Green Veggies are ok. Broccolli (sp?) is great. Make sure to get fiber too.
  6. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.65%

awesome.. where can i get those ketogenesis testers and how much?
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.41%

Originally posted by LakeMountD
    awesome.. where can i get those ketogenesis testers and how much?
    The Keto sticks you can get at a pharmacy. I bought mine at CVS. I had to go to the perscription pickup place and ask for them. Price? I don't quite remember....probably 7 bucks for 50.
  8. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.65%

i was thinking of something else as well.. are the carb ups absolutely necessary that one day a week? i can eat wahtever carbs i want right? sorry for all the questions.
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.41%

i was thinking of something else as well.. are the carb ups absolutely necessary that one day a week? i can eat wahtever carbs i want right? sorry for all the questions.
    Some people recommend skipping the first two weeks of the carb up so your body gets used keto. Carb up necessary? I wouldn't miss it. Just it will help leptin levels and the glycogen. Well your supposed to have high GI carbs than low GI carbs toward the end, but that's what your supposed to do. When you get in the lower bf% I would suggest a mid week carb up. I guess you are doing a CKD maybe?
  10. Doctor Science
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.65%

hmm not really sure... i am training with Iron Addict and the method he is telling me to do is eat an apple before i workout, about 50 grams of carbs post workout and thats the only carbs i should be getting (except a dark green veggie of myself or leafy salad for dinner) with no carb up days.. what style is this?
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    62.41%

hmm not really sure... i am training with Iron Addict and the method he is telling me to do is eat an apple before i workout, about 50 grams of carbs post workout and thats the only carbs i should be getting (except a dark green veggie of myself or leafy salad for dinner) with no carb up days.. what style is this?
    That sounds like a TKD. You can still have post workout shake with CKD I did. I had about 30 grams of carbs and did the carb ups. It's your decision.

Similar Forum Threads

1. keto question on carb-up day
    By chize in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-10-2009, 10:41 PM
  2. Keto question RE: Ketostix
    By Swanson52 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-23-2003, 01:24 AM
  3. Keto Question
    By goldylight in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4