Carbs

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.89%

Carbs

Ok I searched for about a good 45 min. and didn't exactly find what i wanted to know...I am currently trying to lose some weight...well more like trying to lower bf% and my question is...carbs good or bad when trying to lose weight and lower bf%?

Thanks in advance

Mike

2. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

carbs are not evil and have there purpose in a good diet. Depending on what type of diet you want to use (CKD, medium carb, etc.) that is what will dictate how many carbs you should take in and when. Also what will be the deciding factor on carb intake to lean out is how your body reacts to them (everyones different.)

Do you have any experience with different types of cutting diets? Do you gain fat easily? Is your diet just now getting on tract? Stats (Height, weight, bf, etc)?
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.89%

5'6 130lbs. but I don't look 130 not sure of what my bf% is..but I still have some chub...and that is what I am looking to get rid of..I have been eating very very little to no carbs..just high in protein foods (canned chicken breast, tuna, white turkey breast, ect) and alot of water around 100-150 oz a day...I also run every morning before i eat... Hope that helps a little

hope that helps a little
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%

Alright well what your going to want to do is find out your bmr (the total calories your expending daily) and subtract 500-600 calories from it and design your diet around the desired calores. After you determine how many calories you should aim for you make a macro split (protein, carbs, fat) and this is where your personal body type will come into play. If you respond well to carbs even when cutting you may want to try a 40/40/20 (p/c/f) ratio to begin with and go from there, but if you are more sensitive to carbs lower the carbs and raise the fat or protein. Its really about trial and error man and you gauge your progress by the mirror and scale.

Emtpy stomach cardio is a good plan but I wouldn't think to do it every day. You may also (if you arent already) want to add in some weight lifting to the scheme, that will really help ya lean out if done correctly.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    96.89%

Yeah I have been doing weight training for a while now...I only have the chub problem in my chest and ab area though : /
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'4"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.55%

yea your midsection is the hardest place to loose it. The only real way to get the midsection fat off (and I assume you want to see abs) is to nail in your diet to the T
  7. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.5%

MIKE,
    You should check out the Metabolic Diet, I've found that it works great for me. It will help you find you carbohydrate set point. It's a high fat/ high protein/ low carb during the week and on the weekends you switch to lowfat/higher carb.
    I've put others on the diet here and it's working for them as well. IT HELPS RETAIN MUSCLE AND MINIMIZE CATABOLISM.

THE METABOLIC DIET by MAURO dI PASQUALE, B.Sc., M.D.
    also look at
    The ANABOLIC SOLUTION (same author)

Hope thast helps, good luck.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.17%

Also research zig-zag dieting, this will keep your metabolism high and allow you to vary your foods throughout the week and possibly get better nutrient intake if done correctly.

Also when starving your body of carbs glycogen stores can become low and your ability to train at an increased intensity will suffer, therefore you could burn less calories per session.
    From personal experience, I would recommend varying training intensity, slow runs one day, next day sprint work, plyometrics, jump ropping, etc.... alternating levels of intensity. Lots of information coming out on afterburn, the increase in metabolism for hours after high intensity exercise such as HITT being significantly higher then when low instensity was performed.
    Varying activities can have a great effect on burning fat.

Weight training can do a good amount as well, although it will not burn as much calories as cardio activities it has many benefits for weight loss. Circuit training would be my recommendation, 3 days a week upper body hitting each major muscle group. In order for this to have benefits towards fat loss you must train at a high intensity with little to no rest. example - set1: bench press, bicep curl, tricep extension, pull-up, shruggs, military press, abs (all back to back little to no rest)....... rest 3 - 5 mins for full recovery repeat. break. repeat. ( then I add extras that need attention - incline bench (works pect minor, flat bench works pect major (primarily)), curl-ups, reverse grip bench, abs all done with little to no rest, then rest 3 -5 repeat and done). Do not attempt this if you are not an experienced lifter though, instead use your rountine now with supersets (back to back lifts with no rest between) and prepare your body for the above full out assult workout.

Nutrient timing is IMPORTANT and the type of carb you are intaking is as well. BEST time to uptake carbs is immediately after exercise, the sooner the better. At this time muscle can uptake glucose without the use of insulin. This is the only time this process occurs........... if you lift hard, run hard, you need carbs directly after to replenish glycogen stores.

Of course good carb sources are:
    -veggies
    -whole wheat products (whole wheat must be first indgredient on list and not enriched)
    -fruits (can be high in sugar/simple carb but all natural sugar when it is fresh produce, also watch calories per serving)
    - oatmeal (old fashion, not instant unless the above applys)
    - low GI foods - sweet potato one of my favorites, but used in moderation.
    -tons of resources out their to find great sources of carbs these are just a few. High fiber foods tend to be some of the best for the filling sensation.

Bad Carbs:
    -white flour
    -snacks, treats (usually extremely high in calories)
    - simple sugars (read labels, look at sugars)
    -tons more

Definitely look up your BMR like suggested above. Low carb diets do work when done correctly, but I believe the strategies listed above will work just as well if not better, especially in the long run. Not many people can stay with little to no carb their whole lifes and will end up gaining back what they had and more when they revert to old eating habits. Veggies and %100 whole wheat should be the staples of your carb intake. Fruits get a bad rep because of sugar they contain, but they are also highly nutrient dense for for the relative amount of carbs. Taking supplements to make up for what is missing in your diet will never be as good as eating these nutrients from whole foods. Nutrient dense foods will make you feel better, function better, and will provide daily needs of vitamins, minerals, essentials, etc.........

Many are also reporting that some sources of food are more metabolic then others. Your protein level sounds to be good and many believe that protein is a more metabolic product to digest (it takes more calories to digest and convert protein then other sources). 40/40/20 is my diet and was suggested above, if you are going to make a commitment to a good diet you have to keep a journal of everything you intake, supplements that include calories and any other sources apply, all servings should be measured out. You will be suprised how quickly calories add up and what a typical bowl of the cereal or whatever you fix is compared to the actual serving size listed.

If you already do this great........... whatever you do, dont cheat yourself (I sometimes still catch myself overfilling a one cup serving to were it is overfowing instead of to the line), if you eat over you eat over, now you know that something will have to be changed up. Good fats to burn fat. Salmon, nuts, soy products all contain Omega 3 and 6 (healthy) fatty acids. Fats are needed do not skip them.

The last bit of weight (fat) is where you find out how determined you are (or genetically gifted(sorry motherf'ers eat McDonalds everyday and have %4 bodyfat on a 6`2, 275lbs frame)).
  9. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    92.17%

All that and I still forgot lower body training...... I perfer high intensity days between upper body lifting days, which incorperate sprints, plyometrics, jump training and body weight exercises. I like to keep my lower body lean due to a tendiciency for my quads to explode and rub together all the time when doing heavy leg work and I also believe doing these trainings are more beneficial for fat loss, explosive power, leaping ability, overall athletic ability..........

I train upper body EVERY mon, wed, fri, friday I add on one extra lift after the first set of 3 is over for the primary muscle groups....... I add an olympic lift, and use moderate weight compared to what I would usually do. I do moderate weight because olympic lifts require better technique/control and after 3 sets of my circuit I am usually starting to fatigue a bit. Olympic lifts should be done first and any certified CSCS trainer would recommend that. I only do it at this point because it is a semi resting point and I am very comfortable with the weight I use, also I keep the rep wide anywhere between 8 -16 assuring myself not to over work it. Most sets I start to fatigue on rep 12 and when this occurs I am intelligent enough not to push it. I will complete 2 - 3 sets, one at each break after the intial 3 sets.

Doing these on fridays ensures me a full rest period of 72 hours for the upper body, although sat morning I have to take it alittle easier to start on cardio and will sometimes switch my cardio because of this, usually to the most anabolic cardio you can do, jump ropping.
    Always get 48 - 72 hours rest between lifting the same muscle group.
    Listen to your body, get sleep, eat well and you will see that fat start to slowly disappear

Similar Forum Threads

1. Carb Cycleing Diet
    By dez/null in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 09:04 PM
  2. Low carb soy pasta, check it out
    By jweave23 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 09:21 PM
  3. Low carb bars, IMPACT carbs!
    By bpdaddy in forum Supplements
    Replies: 8