Skinny guy with nothing but belly fat left...

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74%

Skinny guy with nothing but belly fat left...

I searched the forums and I found a lot of information on this topic, but I wanted to post my own question so I could get some feedback pertaining to my own body alone.

I weigh about 155 lbs and I'm 5'8". I eat very well, a few carbs before noon and nothing but lean protein based meals and steamed vegetables. No alcohol. I have been going to the gym for about 6 weeks now (with proper rest days in between lifts) and have been seeing nice gains, however, my belly fat remains! It's driving me crazy! I was running about 20 minutes on weekdays, and have decided to kick it up to 45 minutes a day to see if this belly fat will go away. Since I am a "skinny guy" I am worried about doing so much cardio that I loose muscle in the process.

It's annoying. I am seeing changes everywhere but my damn belly.

Any ideas? Supplements? Exercise suggestions?

2. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    88.59%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

That's the last place you will lose the fat from.

If you still have alot of belly fat left, it means that your bodyfat percentage is not nearly as low as you think, despite only weighing 155 and being "skinny"

Now personally, if I were you, I wouldn't even worry about trying to lean out more at 155 pounds. If you lean out enough to actually lose all of your belly fat, you are going to look like an ethiopian with a six pack. Not pretty.

You should go on a nice bulk, look up some info about what foods to eat to gain weight, lots of meats, chicken, lots of complex carbs, rice, baked potatoes. Get some meat on those bones, put on some quality muscle, and THEN worry about leaning out and losing that belly fat.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.68%

yup. hes got it right. bulk up, add some quality muscle, and then cut the fat.

dude seriously...even though you're 155, you're still carrying a decent amount of bodyfat thats keeping you from seeing your abs. you need to cut down to the skinny little b!tch size of 148 or so to see them. screw that...unless you plan on slapping on a wig and getting a fake pair of tits so you can be a supermodel. bulk then do the cut you'll look much better.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74%

Alrighty then.

That's the kind of answer I was looking for.

Should I still continue doing a good amount of cardio while bulking up?
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    79.68%

maybe toss in some moderate intensity cardio twice a week or low intensity @ 35minutes in the mornings on your off days. It'll keep you lean while you pack on size.
  6. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.17%

Smile

consider a prohormone like epi/havoc to include alongside your calori defecit.
    this will maintain and probably increase your muscle mass while decreasing fat.
    2 weeks should be enough time to see if its working.

also consider topical fatloss lotion like lipoderm ultra or targex(havent used this one myself)

lastly, if you arent on any stims, good old ECA(ephedrin) if you can find it or the new adipokinetix would do you well at 2 pills a day.

lastly, check your belly, is most of the fat over your muscles? then lipoderm ultra will work for you.
    if the fat seems to be BEHIND the muscle then ull need absolved, though unfortuanetly its out of production.

good luck, this last bit is the hardest.

p.s. have you ever checked what metabolic type you are? (mixed, protein, carb) maybe that would influence your diet choises and help you out more?
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  193 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    77.71%

Quote Originally Posted by WillB123 View Post

dude seriously...even though you're 155, you're still carrying a decent amount of bodyfat thats keeping you from seeing your abs. you need to cut down to the skinny little b!tch size of 148 or so to see them. screw that...unless you plan on slapping on a wig and getting a fake pair of tits so you can be a supermodel. bulk then do the cut you'll look much better.

Would you apply this advice to a larger ectomorph as well? I am 6' 182. I've been cutting for about 2 months and have knocked off 4 pounds to get down from 186. However, I have the same problem in that the belly fat (spare tire) is still there. I've cut calories and added Dymetedrine Extreme to help burn it off, but it's slow going. Should I ramp the calories back up and go through a bulking cycle before trying to cut again? Cheers.

8. Bananas
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    41.59%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by WillB123 View Post

dude that seriously made me spit out my cheerios while i was eating....
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  9. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  196 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    27.47%

its all about diet. Contrary to popular belief (not in here however) you need to eat alot to successfully cut. During a cut its more about meal timing than you might think. After a rather clean bulk (330 grs protein, 350 carbs, 110 fats - relatively, per day)I've been cutting for the last 7 weeks and have gone from 223 to 202. Belly fat is the first to show and the last to go. Sometimes you just hold on to it and theres not much you can do but crazy amounts of cardio. thats just they way it is for alot of people. What you can do is make your abs as strong as possible to tighten up your muscles and have a flat look regardless of how much fat your holding. I posted my diet in the weight loss forum a few weeks ago when i was having trouble getting under 205 (a big problem for my italian a$$). I restructured a bit and added powerfull and lipotropin PM (I'm really stim sensitive) to my regime. So far so good. i also added supersets and tri-sets to my workouts to increase intensity.

Overall you should try a good clean bulk for at least 10 weeks then try to cut. the added muscle mass will aide your fat burning potential during the cutting phase and just might get over the hump.

Good luck. 6 weeks isn't a lot of time to lose belly fat unless your on Clen but i'm not one to suggest anything other than lifestyle and eating habit changes.
  10. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  188 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    48.96%

Ditto on all the great suggestions so far, diet is key!
    What i have found works great for me is Yohimbine HCl (really shaves off my belly fat)
    And i always eat cottage cheese before bed to keep the metabolism reved up thru the night.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.4%

Most people underestimate how long and how low body weight must drop to lose those last few pounds of fat (for me lower back fat is the last to go). Over the past several cuts, I've learned a lot. I have to get down to 145 lbs to hit 5% body fat figure which equated to no "belly fat" and I'm 6' - also 44 years old.

If I had to guess, based on your height and assuming a body type from you post (natually skinny), you'll likely need to get down to 130 -135 to get truly cut (5% or less). Now it's your decision: bulk now and cut later or cut now and bulk later. I personally prefer the later as the bulking phase (not bulk in the classical sense) can be controlled and done with very little increase in "belly fat". When I got down to 145, my waist was 28.25" I slowly increased the weight and muscle and 165, I was still below a 29" waist measurement and 6% body fat and looked very good. Granted, 7-10 lbs was probably water/glycogen gain but the fullness accompanied with the small waist size made me look bigger than what the scale was telling me. Since you are down to the "belly fat status" you might want to cut. Depending on your stats (waist and body fat size), you are anywhere from 8- 16 weeks away. My gues is you will need to go below 135 and at 1.0 - 1.5 lbs/week loss rate, you'll need around 10-12 weeks to get to no "belly fat status". It's May and depending where you live, you have time to get real lean and accompanied with a controlled gaining period, you can look your best during the later half of the summer.

A couple of things that work for me while cutting:

1) try to work up to 8 meals/day. Towards the end of a cut, I actually get in 9 200 calorie meals (mostly nuts, protein, veggies and multi-vitamins). Basically, I ate all the time - every 1.5 to 2 hrs.

2) last meal 2 hrs before bed and mine consisted of FF cottage cheese.

3) 2 20-30 min low intensity cardio seession 5 days/week off Sat & Sun

4) Good test booster right before bed

5) 3 short but brief weightlifting periods/week (MWF off the weekend).

6) One refeed/week - typically after Friday's workout.

7) Minimize carbs to those contained in cottage cheese, nuts, vegetables) no breads, beans, potatos, etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JTT

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM
  3. Melt off belly fat and build muscle with CLA ethyl ester!
    By Eric Potratz in forum Supplements
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 11:26 AM
  4. Guys with good abs: How many MM on the abs fat pinch?
    By metalman302 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 07:54 AM
  5. New guy with a question
    By xtrem in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 09:02 PM