Processed Chicken burgers

MadChild

Awards
Hey everyone. I was wondering about the quality of the protein in these processed chicken patties I've been having for lunch.

Per serving 113 g
Energy 116 cal
Protein 20 g

Fat 3.1 g
Plyunsaturates 0.7 g
Monounsaturates 1.4 g
Saturates 0.9 g
Cholesterol 27 mg

Carbohydrates 2 g
sugars 2g
dietary fibre 0.1 g
Sodium 643 mg
Potassium 333 mg

Ingredients: Chicken breast, water, whey powder, soy protein isolate, salt, garlic powder, spices.

I get the feeling that the protein might not be up to snuff seeing as there is added whey powder and soy protein isolate, although I don't know why they would add it because it's not billed as a health food. It only says "LOW IN FAT" on the box.

Also, are the sodium and potassium amounts okay? If anyone could direct me to any posts on sodium and potassium that would be great because I haven't found any and I don't know much about them.

Thanks!

A-Train

Awards
Seems like an awful lot of sodium for just a chicken patty.

According to this source, "The current recommendation is to consume less than 2,400 milligrams (mg) of sodium a day."

http://www.annecollins.com/sodium-rda-diet.htm

At 643mg sodium, the chicken patty contains over 25% of your daily limit.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, per se, it's just that if you want to keep your total sodium down, you have to be pretty careful the rest of the day.

What's the brand on those?

MadChild

Awards
I know that too much sodium is bad. But what are the exact effects? Like, can they be counteracted by drinking a lot of water?

The brand is Janes breadless chicken burgers. It's only produced and distributed in the central area of Canada though.

And I bet Canada's RDA of Sodium would follow the UK's guidelines of 1,600 mg.