Homebrew Meal Replacement Shake

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
To follow in Wardog's footsteps and help all the hardgainers out there, heres a kick ass recipe for a homemade meal replacement shake, ideal for bulking, while I dont know the exact nutrition facts on this, my recipe is smeared all over bb.com and Ive had great results with it and so have others....

15oz Milk
2 scoops natural peanut butter
2 scoops whey powder
1 table spoon flax oil
1/3 cup crushed oatmeal
1 whole banana

*Mix this all togther (i suggest a hand blender, and if you dont have one, theyre very cheap as this is hard to mix with a spoon) Drink right away or pop it in the fridge, this is actually VERY good and will add pounds whether you like it or not.
** if you use a vanilla protein powder, add some natural vanilla extract for better taste.

So now if you still cant gain weight between this and wardog's bars, take up tennis or something.

Bone

Awards
A wealth of knowledge as always ;) I used to drink something similar to this...........it tastes really good.

Peace

Bone

Kay

Awards
does this come out really thick and creamy ??
Is there much of difference between this and a pre made MRP, except for the price, I usually don't have all the ingridients always a thome, so i just ust the GNC mega MRP, the only difference i see is in the PB (EFA'S)..... rest is the same.
Don't really mind paying extra for the convenience factor though!

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
It usually not too thick, with 15oz of milk its thin enough to go down easy. The taste is really awesome, it looks horrible after mixing it up but the taste is really good.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
thats a good one. Had that many times (minus the flax). a good bulking mix (woulnt really recommend it while on cut and when watching calories). but im a thick shake man all the way and can always find myoplex/metrx online for around a buck a packet so it ends up about the same price. of course, with the homemade, you get better carbs and with the added flax oil, healthier fats.

dodgeee-O

Awards
thats a good one. Had that many times (minus the flax). a good bulking mix (woulnt really recommend it while on cut and when watching calories). but im a thick shake man all the way and can always find myoplex/metrx online for around a buck a packet so it ends up about the same price. of course, with the homemade, you get better carbs and with the added flax oil, healthier fats.
I agree, I went two months of three mrp's a day (opti-rx) and i put on a good amount of weight but all the malto gave me a good amount of fat! Stick with oatmeal for carbs IMO!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Too much whey! :) Add a mix or something like Complete Protein Diet. Also is there any reason for the banana other than taste? If not, scrap it and add more oatmeal. I hate Fructose. Does nothing but fill liver glycogen.

Bobo "the anti-carb" :D

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Too much whey! :) Add a mix or something like Complete Protein Diet. Also is there any reason for the banana other than taste? If not, scrap it and add more oatmeal. I hate Fructose. Does nothing but fill liver glycogen.

Bobo "the anti-carb" :D
I knew it was coming, banana's will serve as a good simple carb and by no means is that too much whey, milk is only 20% whey and 2 scoops of whey mixed in with peanut butter and flax oil will not digest as quick as normal.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Banana's GI is fairly low so you don't really need it for a simple carb. Plus the glycaemic load that will occur with the milk and peanut butter will take care of the transport of nutrients for a while. The mixture of oatmeal and any protein will give you a good enough insuilin spike. The digestion will slow down but not to the point of having a steady stream of aminos that you would get from a mix containing cassein, soy isolate, etc....for 2-3 hours. That my preference for an MRP. Plus most people consume at least 2 MRP a day (too much but it happens) and including that with your post workout shake, is too much whey IMO.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Banana's GI is fairly low so you don't really need it for a simple carb. Plus the glycaemic load that will occur with the milk and peanut butter will take care of the transport of nutrients for a while. The mixture of oatmeal and any protein will give you a good enough insuilin spike. The digestion will slow down but not to the point of having a steady stream of aminos that you would get from a mix containing cassein, soy isolate, etc....for 2-3 hours. That my preference for an MRP. Plus most people consume at least 2 MRP a day (too much but it happens) and including that with your post workout shake, is too much whey IMO.
Its 2 scoops of whey man.....I dont think its going to do any damage....i mostly throw the banana in for flavor.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes it will. It will eat your insides up. Don't use it. I warned you.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Bobo

Whey will eat your insides up????  WTF?????? :confused: :confused:

LG. :cool:

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

whey will eat your insides up???? WTF???????? same exact thouht as LG.....but with an added ?????????!!?

wardog

Awards
  • Established
My caloric base for the day each and every day for the last 3 years has been 1 gallon skim milk with 5 scoops optimum whey, day in and day out. Now Bobo is saying it is bad...hmmmmm

Somebody had better tell my body how bad it is then, because it doesn't seem to realize it. :D

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
about 100 grams of your protein intake from powder source...thats alot though. how much protein you take in a day? i thought i was pretty much on the high end of people taking majority of their protein from powder form and not whole food. Im probably around 40% from protein powder (whey and mrps) and the rest from whole foods (you know the list).

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First of all it was a joke. It will kill you if you have 6 scoops. Wardog your ok since you only have 5. :D

Serisouly, at most, 30% of your protein intake should be from whey either mostly in morning or post workout. MRP's by defintion are meal replacements and therefore should contain nutrients that cover your amino pool for a number of hours. Whey protein will not do that no matter how much fat you include. It does slow down absortion, but not for 3 hours. Wardog just because it works, doesn't mean it can't work better. 5 scoops of whey at your weight (if i remember correctly your pretty large) isnt' that bad. Plus the majority of your protein in a gallon of milk is milk protein. But making MRP's that some people take 2 or 3 times a day plus post workout shakes, is too much whey IMO. Therefore I opt for slower absorbing proteins for MRP's that will have a steady stream of aminos being released throughout the day or night (especially before bed). Everyone understand this now? Its not that hard to understand. You guys eat too much turkey or something?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My caloric base for the day each and every day for the last 3 years has been 1 gallon skim milk with 5 scoops optimum whey, day in and day out. Now Bobo is saying it is bad...hmmmmm

Somebody had better tell my body how bad it is then, because it doesn't seem to realize it. :D
Not necessarily bad, just less efficient. If you bust your ass that hard in the gym, I feed the best and most efficient nutrirnets I can find within reason. There are a number of MRP's out there with superior ingredients (micellar cassein, colostrum, cla, efa's, etc..) but are just too overpriced. You can make these like YJ's but for me, a better protein source can be added since it is a meal replacement. For your I would suggest chop the whey in half and add soy isolate. Therefore you get the spread of amino's from 3 different protein sources. Bulk soy isolate is cheap.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I was busting on you bro. What I do is every morning I make a gallon of milk with my whey. This gives me close to 250 grams of protein. I carry it with me all day, and sip it thru the day. By 3:00 it is gone. This milk gives me a caloric and protein "base" that I know, come hell or high water, each day I am getting at least 1 gram per pound pretty much. By 6 I have my last carb meal of the day, and after 6 it is pretty much just a can of tuna at 9 and a couple of hamburger patties before bed. From here, I can adjust my diet to "cut" or "bulk" depending on what else I eat during the day. For me, it just makes a real easy baseline.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah I figured. I remember you describing your plan before and with your weight (if i remember your heffer is 250+) then your fine. I would still use soy isolate if you can find it cheap though. It can only help. With nutrition I'm a bit precise with things :) My GF hates it....

For most of the recommendation I'm thinking of someone that 170-210lbs.....You have to watch out for the little guys!!! j/k for anyone in that range! :D

wardog

Awards
  • Established
It is all good bro. I just try to keep it as simple as possible, you prefer to be meticulous. Just different schools of thought. I could argue the estrogenic issues of soy make it a poor choice if we wanted to play..lol.

My job is too hectic for me to be able to be very meticulous. I had to learn to keep it simple..otherwise I was doing great one day, then shitty the next, and getting nowhere fast. The gallon of milk and protein powder make that happen for me. It is really just about whatever works for ya.

And yes, my heiffer is bigger than 250, and will be growing more shortly.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Soy isolate eliminates the estrogenic side effects. Don't get technical with me!!!! :D Serisoulsy your metod is fine and will work. Being your size (i'm 230+ myself) we have to find a way to get it all in somehow.

I would discuss this on chat but I'm visiting the folks and there browser won't support the chat! And I'm too lazy to download the stupid java thing on a modem.

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Fine, if soy isolates eliminate the estrogenic issues, I may give them a shot. But if I start getting fat hips or boobs, I am paying you a visit..lol!

Chat is down right now it seems, but I am sure you and i will catch up on it one of these days.

Peace,
Wardog

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
It really seems to be a "convenience" issue to me. I try to keep things as simple as possible while still being effective. I try to get a variety of protein sources throughout the day to incude casein, egg, soy if possible (not usually though!) so that I don't have to focus on buying blends AND pure whey.

I agree it may be more beneficial to make an MRP out of a source with casein, soy, and egg moreso than whey, but the convenience of milk, PB, and 10lb optimum bags always makes me not want to bother buying a blend. Call me lazy I guess!

Just depends how much you will scrutinize your protein sources. Some will always search for the absolute best and optimal ways to get their protein, whereas I just go for what I know works for me with convenience taken into consideration, and bulk cheap whey in combination with meats, milk and other foods works for me. To each his own I guess.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
First of all it was a joke. 
Oh, ok...you had me goin' there for a minute...whew [wipes sweat from brow]...

anyway...I haven't had a scoop of my whey in almost 3 days....(too lazy to mix)hehe...just been livin on turkey protein :D

LG. :cool:

Bone

Awards

For most of the recommendation I'm thinking of someone that 170-210lbs.....You have to watch out for the little guys!!! j/k for anyone in that range! :D
Whew..............I made it to 216, just out of the "little guy" range ;) Hell ya IM ONE OF THE BIG BOYS NOW!!! j/k

Peace

Bone

wardog

Awards
  • Established
Don't get cocky on us now bone :D

Just bustin, keep the gains commin bro! I am shooting for 285 this next cycle

Bone

Awards
Originally posted by wardog
Don't get cocky on us now bone :D

Just bustin, keep the gains commin bro! I am shooting for 285 this next cycle
Will do bro...............  285??!! YOU MONSTER!!! :D I'll be there on day as well.........Must be a nice feeling to weigh that much :)

Peace

Bone

DarCSA

Awards
I have started using this as of late and I really like it. It tastes like N-Large II to be honest. I usually split it up though and make it at half proportions. I drink one or 2 a day. They seem to be working great. I like it at half to optimize my protein intake. Thanks for the recipe.

Workman

Banned
Awards
about 100 grams of your protein intake from powder source...thats alot though. how much protein you take in a day? i thought i was pretty much on the high end of people taking majority of their protein from powder form and not whole food. Im probably around 40% from protein powder (whey and mrps) and the rest from whole foods (you know the list).

I take in about 200 grams of protein in powder form. It represents about the same 40% of my total protein intake. Fast metabolism I have I guess.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

I take in about 200 grams of protein in powder form. It represents about the same 40% of my total protein intake. Fast metabolism I have I guess.
you're right workman. it should be measured by how many % of protein you are getting from powder rather than the # of grams. Thanx for correcting my thoughts. i still say a quarter to a third from powder (supplement) source is a good number to reach for. Sage

Workman

Banned
Awards

you're right workman. it should be measured by how many % of protein you are getting from powder rather than the # of grams. Thanx for correcting my thoughts. i still say a quarter to a third from powder (supplement) source is a good number to reach for. Sage
HA bro BELIEVE me I wasn't meaning to correct you. I don't know **** compared to you bros here.

If you have a chance could you check out my post here it was suggested by YJ I start a thread and ask for help.

Thanks.

http://www.anabolicminds.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=17964#post17964