Critique my Diet

1. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.67%

Critique my Diet

Hey guys, I am going on a clean diet to try and lose some body fat before the summer and get the abs out for the 1st time in my life.
    I am 5'8" 152 lbs and by my scale 12-13.3% bodyfat depending on the day. I am by no means fat, but I am not exactly the most toned either. I will take pics when I get a chance so you can get an idea of what I look like body fat wise.

As far as exercise I will be doing HIT 2-3 times a week. I will also be doing a 10lb medicine ball ab routine I got out of Mens Health 5 days a week. I might start on some light weights but I am trying to see where my diet plus my HIT and Ab workout takes me.

Here is my diet:

Breakfast:
    1/2 Cup of Oatmeal- 150 calories, 3g fat, 27g carbs, 5g protein
    2 Scoops of Optimum Whey Protein- 260 calories, 3g fat, 8g carbs, 48g protein

Snack:
    Apple- 80 calories, .5g fat, 21g carbs, .3g carbs

Lunch:
    Chicken Breast- 130 calories, 4.5g fat, 0g carbs, 22g protein
    4 Brocoli Spears- 60 calories, 0g fat, 8g carbs, 4g protein
    1 cup of Brown Rice- 300 calories, 3g fat, 68g carbs, 6g protein

HIT DAY:

NON HIT DAY:
    4 Rice Cakes- 140 calories, 0g fat, 28g carbs, 4g protein

Dinner:
    Small Red Potatoes- 80 calories, 0g fat, 15g carbs, 1g protein

Snack:

1800 calories, 24.5g fat, 218g carbs, 169g protein

I think I added that all up right. Keep in mind this is my first adventure at trying to diet and I am going to try to keep it as clean as possible besides a little alcohol on the weekends.

Any criticism or advice is welcome....Thanks in advance

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.44%

Hey guys, I am going on a clean diet to try and lose some body fat before the summer and get the abs out for the 1st time in my life.
    I am 5'8" 152 lbs and by my scale 12-13.3% bodyfat depending on the day. I am by no means fat, but I am not exactly the most toned either. I will take pics when I get a chance so you can get an idea of what I look like body fat wise.

As far as exercise I will be doing HIT 2-3 times a week. I will also be doing a 10lb medicine ball ab routine I got out of Mens Health 5 days a week. I might start on some light weights but I am trying to see where my diet plus my HIT and Ab workout takes me.

Here is my diet:

Breakfast:

-Looks good. Also could do an egg white omelette as you are using a lot of protein powder

Snack:
    Apple- 80 calories, .5g fat, 21g carbs, .3g carbs
    I would toss in a handful of nuts or tbsp of natty pb or almond butter on the apple as your fat intake is WAY TOO LOW!

Lunch:
    1 cup of Brown Rice- 300 calories, 3g fat, 68g carbs, 6g protein

Are u using any sauce at all? Waldens farms has some descent tasting 0 cal BBQ, also Kraft has a low carb BBQ that I use ALLLLL the time. Salsa would also work good here

HIT DAY:

Again, okay, but would try to reduce total intake of protein powder. Maybe even toss in a few healthy nuts to up your overall daily fat intake.

NON HIT DAY:

There are better options then rice cakes, just eat a 1/2 cup oatmeal or maybe a nice fruit here.

Dinner:
    Small Red Potatoes- 80 calories, 0g fat, 15g carbs, 1g protein

Looks pretty okay, would opt for sweet potatoes or maybe some barilla plus pasta or ezekiel whole grain tortillas would be good.

Snack:

Not a big fan of rice cakes, would rather see you have some fat free cottage cheese and some healthy nuts instead

1800 calories, 24.5g fat, 218g carbs, 169g protein

FAT IS TOO LOW!! Get it to at least 40g a day.

I think I added that all up right. Keep in mind this is my first adventure at trying to diet and I am going to try to keep it as clean as possible besides a little alcohol on the weekends.

Any criticism or advice is welcome....Thanks in advance

You have a good start, but get that fat intake up some, do something other than rice cakes. I would rather see whole foods over protein powder but if you have to it works; its just that the protein powder is like 1/3 your daily caloric intake. Also it just doesnt fill me up so to speak
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.69%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity Authority

Yes cut out the rice cakes, they have a high GI, in fact you might be better off with sugar, that is how bad rice cakes affect your blood glucose levels.

And you should try to aim at about 6-10g of fish oil, and having a solid lean meat that rysigpi suggested. This will have a greater affect on your metabolism.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.67%

-Looks good. Also could do an egg white omelette as you are using a lot of protein powder

How about 4 hard boiled egg whites? Is that a good substitute?

I would toss in a handful of nuts or tbsp of natty pb or almond butter on the apple as your fat intake is WAY TOO LOW!

What nuts should I get? Just plain, still in shell peanuts?

Are u using any sauce at all? Waldens farms has some descent tasting 0 cal BBQ, also Kraft has a low carb BBQ that I use ALLLLL the time. Salsa would also work good here

Thanks for the heads up on this. I love BBQ sauce but there are so many carbs in it. I will look into Waldens.

Looks pretty okay, would opt for sweet potatoes or maybe some barilla plus pasta or ezekiel whole grain tortillas would be good.

Awesome, I will buy some this weekend.

Not a big fan of rice cakes, would rather see you have some fat free cottage cheese and some healthy nuts instead

I will snag some cottage cheese this weekend. What are some other snacks that would be ok? How about low fat triscuits or something like that?

You have a good start, but get that fat intake up some, do something other than rice cakes. I would rather see whole foods over protein powder but if you have to it works; its just that the protein powder is like 1/3 your daily caloric intake. Also it just doesnt fill me up so to speak [/

Whole foods would be good over the protein powder but my problem is I am such a picky eater that I dont get cised for anything high in protein.
    I dont like tuna, or any fish, I dont like peanut butter, and I am not going to eat a dung beetle. Eating all these meals throughout the day pretty much has me constantly full so far.

I have only done HIT once this week but I have done my ab routine everyday. I must say the 10lb medicine ball has me more sore than 1000 crunches ever did.

Thanks to those that have replied
  5. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.44%

healthy nuts- almonds, pecans, walnuts are my favorite.

Dont like peanut butter? Check your local health food store for almond butter....much different taste to it.

Other good snacks- kashi makes a go lean cereal that is pretty tasty, and some waffles that are good. Dannon has their lite n fit yogurts that taste pretty darn good as well. Not sure about triscits..never really ate them.

-oh one more idea, you can get whole wheat tortillas, check the label..the more fiber the better. Anyways, cut them into triangles like tortilla chips and lightly, i mean lightly spray both sides with pam olive oil cooking spray. Bake in the over till they get that crispy look. Bam!! Healthy tortilla chips and salsa is just about a freebie so enjoy that snack. Heck, add some extra lean ground beef, some low fat sour cream, and fat free cheese and you have one mean meal! (haha, sounds like I have done it before uh?!)
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.67%

Alright, this weekend I am getting walnuts, kashi waffles, whole grain pasta, bread and tortillas for turkey sandwiches.

I feel like a scientist with all this calorie counting and precooking meals. LOL
  7. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Testudo View Post
    Alright, this weekend I am getting walnuts, kashi waffles, whole grain pasta, bread and tortillas for turkey sandwiches.

I feel like a scientist with all this calorie counting and precooking meals. LOL
    Soon you will be able to just think of what sounds good and make a meal that is such and such a breakdown.

Like when I am maintaining or just trying to put on weight with minimal fat gain, I will make meals roughly of 60p/60c/and 15f or if carbs are a little lower I bump of some healthy fats...just basically getting right around 600 cals a meal give or take a few.:bruce3:
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    12.33%

Testudo, I understand where you're coming from when you say you're a picky eater. I was very picky up through high school. Eventually I decided to get past it and try everything. This is a great time to try new foods or learn to like foods you don't currently eat.
  9. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.44%

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDan View Post
    Testudo, I understand where you're coming from when you say you're a picky eater. I was very picky up through high school. Eventually I decided to get past it and try everything. This is a great time to try new foods or learn to like foods you don't currently eat.
    Excellent advice, I too was a picky eater in highschool and early on in college. Since then I just give it a whirl. All I have had to eat the last two days is PLAIN PLAIN PLAIN chicken, with asparagus and almond butter. I may be nutty but it really isnt that mad!
  10. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    63.67%

Quote Originally Posted by DriverDan View Post
    Trust me man, I have tried a ton of food numerous times. With peanut butter, I dont know why I dont like it. I love nuts. Maybe its the consistency. When it comes to Tuna, I just dont like fish that much. I can eat shellfish and some salmon. Not much else though.

I guess since I am 25 now I am pretty set in my ways.

rysigpi,

Thanks again for all your help. Its going to be tough not to drink alot of beer tonight at this party I am going to. I guess I will just take a few shots instead.
  11. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.44%

Quote Originally Posted by Testudo View Post
    Trust me man, I have tried a ton of food numerous times. With peanut butter, I dont know why I dont like it. I love nuts. Maybe its the consistency. When it comes to Tuna, I just dont like fish that much. I can eat shellfish and some salmon. Not much else though.

I guess since I am 25 now I am pretty set in my ways.

rysigpi,

Thanks again for all your help. Its going to be tough not to drink alot of beer tonight at this party I am going to. I guess I will just take a few shots instead.

Don't do the shots. Just sip a couple beers instead. A light beer and a shot has about the same calories and the shots just go down quicker! Just bring along something that looks like a mixed drink. Diet DR. Pepper in a mug does wonders if you must look like you are drinking when you are really noy.
  12. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.15%

Quote Originally Posted by rysigpi View Post
    Don't do the shots. Just sip a couple beers instead. A light beer and a shot has about the same calories and the shots just go down quicker! Just bring along something that looks like a mixed drink. Diet DR. Pepper in a mug does wonders if you must look like you are drinking when you are really noy.
    i like that advice lol

Similar Forum Threads

1. please critique my diet
    By KILROZ in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-13-2004, 12:29 AM
  2. Critique My Diet! Currently 358g Protein!
    By Animosity in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 11:19 PM
  3. Another critique my diet thread-need pros only
    By ps24eva in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 04:11 AM
  4. T-1 Post cycle Q and critique my diet
    By Beta BBer in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-08-2003, 05:56 PM
  5. Replies: 7