Cardio Workout - Help!
- 03-24-2007, 05:06 PM
Cardio Workout - Help!
For the last two months my cardio workout has looked like this:
1.5 Minutes @ 5.5 MPH
1.5 Minutes @ 6.5 MPH
2 Minutes @ 6.0 MPH
Repeat 3 More times for a total of 20 MIN cardio. I do this 4-5 times per week.
It is getting fairly easy for me now, as opposed when I first started this routine there were some days that I couldn't even finish. Now that it is getting easier I am wondering what I should do to improve it. Should I do the same intervals and go for 30 minutes? Should I up the speeds and still go for only 20 minutes? Does this workout suck and should I be doing something completely different?
I am about 175 lbs and 12%-13% bodyfat. The only place that I really have fat is in my chest, stomach, and love handles. My arms and legs are pretty much pure muscle. I am really tryin to lose the gut, whats the best way to go about doing this?
I will be starting a ph cycle here in about a week, so I am looking for a good workout to go with my lifting to help drop that fat.
Thanks for any advice!
- 03-24-2007, 05:27 PM
- 03-24-2007, 06:01 PM
2 things (and these are just my opinions of things):
1) It sounds like you do your cardio to burn a few extra calories (and shed some fat). It would seem to make sense (to me at least) that you design your cardio workouts to burn calories instead of lasting a duration of time. To save yourself the trouble of figurin' a bunch of sh*t out, the amount of calories you burn on the treadmill is related to your weight the distance you run. A common rule of thumb (or at least the algorithm most treadmills use) is to multiply [your weight in pounds]*[distance in miles]*0.75 = [calories burned]. 3 miles (for me) is the minimum i'll run for workout, but I've been running for years. Right now you're doing ~1.5miles (about 200 Calories per workout), so I'd say your first order of business would be to work up until you can do 3 miles for a workout (about 395 Calories per workout)
2) I'm a HIIT whore. So my advice would be to try using a greater deviation between speeds, to create the HIIT style of training
1 minute @ as hard as you can go
1 minute @ 6 mph
1 minute @ a walking speed
Try that for 5 times around (15 minutes), followed by a medium-paced jog for another 10-15 minutes. I can guarantee you'll see a noteable difference by mid-April.
03-24-2007, 10:25 PM
I too am a big fan of HITT cardio...I feel its second to none in it's ability to shed Body fat, while maintaining lean mass...assuming proper timing and diet of course.
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
03-25-2007, 01:29 AM
1.5 Minutes @ 6.5 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.4875 mi
2 Minutes @ 6.0 MPH * 3 bouts * (1 h /60 min) = 0.600 mi
0.4125mi + 0.4875mi + 0.6mi = 1.5 mi
Your treadmill is (for some reason) telling you total distance in kilometers. (1.5 mi = 2.41km)
Good luck with the HIIT, I think you'll like it.
03-25-2007, 11:29 AM
1 Minute @ 9 MPH
1 Minute @ 6 MPH
1 Minute @ 3 MPH
Repeat 4 more times for a total of 15 Minutes. Then do a 10-15 minute run @ 6 MPH.
How does this look?
03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
03-25-2007, 01:04 PM
03-25-2007, 01:10 PM
damn that was a hell of a workout! just finished, and here is how it ended up:
1 minute at 9 MPH
1 minute at 6 MPH
1 minute at 3 MPH
Repeated 4 times for a total of 15 Minutes, then did:
1.5 minutes at 5.5 MPH
1.5 minutes at 6.5 MPH
2 minutes at 6.0 MPH
Repeated 2 more times for a total of 15 minutes.
Total workout was 30 minutes, and ran 3.1 miles. (according to the treadmill, apparently math proves otherwise). The treadmill also said I only burned 275 calories, this seems a bit low, does anyone know if this is right?
Either way, my first HIIT training was awesome! I loved it! Much better than the last 2 months of running, and I feel like I got much more out of it. I was sweating my nuts off when I was finished! Thanks for the help guys! I will be using this workout for atleast the next 2 months during my pheradrol/mega zol cycle and through pct.
03-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Glad to hear you liked it.
Keep it up, and good luck!
Similar Forum Threads
- By Buffspartan in forum SupplementsReplies: 0Last Post: 08-23-2012, 12:39 AM
- By Kiwi in forum Training ForumReplies: 7Last Post: 05-12-2006, 10:15 PM
- By Rebel in forum Training ForumReplies: 26Last Post: 07-02-2004, 06:46 PM
- By AciDmC in forum Training ForumReplies: 2Last Post: 05-24-2003, 02:52 PM
- By AciDmC in forum Training ForumReplies: 3Last Post: 04-29-2003, 12:05 AM