HIIT training

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. So you are doing HIIT on some days and low cardio on others?

I am doing HIIT 3-4 times per week for about 18 mins and doing it right after my weight routine.

Quote Originally Posted by jminis View Post
    Gotta say I love HIIT cardio. I love how it spares my muslce but after my weight training low intensity is the way to go.

2. Why are you doing HIIT right after lifting? By that point in time you should have low enough glycogen that you could get away with doing a light cardio for 20-30mins.

I mean, it's just my opinion, but I would recommend doing HIIT on off-days.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    [email protected]
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line
    •   

3. Doing the following:

Monday:
    Chest, HIIT

Tuesday:
    Back, Abs

Wednesday:
    Shoulders, HIIT

Thursday:
    Legs, Abs

Friday:
    Arms, HIIT

Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post
    Why are you doing HIIT right after lifting? By that point in time you should have low enough glycogen that you could get away with doing a light cardio for 20-30mins.

I mean, it's just my opinion, but I would recommend doing HIIT on off-days.

4. Quote Originally Posted by thesinner View Post

In all actuality, you are more likely to burn (on average) more calories with normal cardio than with HIIT (in the same workout duration). Before someone calls me out on the above statement, I'll derive it from 2minute segments from each style:

HIIT: 1 minute @ 12mph 1 minute @ 3 mph = Average speed= 7.5 mph

Reg: 2 minutes @ 8mph Average Speed = 8.0 mph

Since Work= Calories expended = Force * Speed * Time

Force is related to your bodyweight (which is constant). Time will be constant (we are comparing two workouts of the same duration) Thus, the average speed will be the deciding factor in determining how many calories you burn.

That being said, it's not that HIIT burns more calories per hour, but more calories from fat stores due to the way it recruits energy.

I hope you're still awake, and this makes sense.

thesinner
    Just to go on furthur on your equation...

Speed * Time = Distance

So in the end, W = Force * Distance (W=Fd)

So, if you really want to burn the most calories, just go the most distance that you can running, walking, or sprinting. I think the purpose of HIIT is to burn up only glycogen, hence the 18 minute suggestion. I'm sure there's more involved in mechanical and metabolic efficiency which is probably why HIIT is a good idea. It may not burn as much calories, but the fat burning potential is higher.

When you are working near your maximum heartrate, a lot of your calories are coming from lactic fermenation which is very inefficient, but effective way to use glycogen. I think it yields like 4 ATP per glucose molecule. When you're just jogging along and have enough oxygen (aerobic) your body can do the oxidative phosphorylation and get like 34 or something ATP per glucose molecule.

Just a little more pseudo-science for you guys (I don't claim to know what I'm talking about). When you deplete glycogen stores, your body is going to be throwing everything in the furnace so to speak. This is when it gets catabolic and you start using protein for energy. If I were to recommend HIIT I would say do it in the afternoon on non-workout days. That way it will burn up all of your free floating glycogen and then when you're done and go home, your body will have the time to prepare fat for use in oxidative phosphorylation. If I understand this correctly, its kind of similar to ketogenesis. I would use it to quickly "burn" up glycogen and let the ketogenesis occur for the next couple of hours while I sleep. Also, I wouldn't want to eat any carbs afterwards to enjoy the full benefits. The same idea, just different is to not eat carbs before dinner. That way, when you sleep, you don't have free circulating glycogen, and your body must use fat for energy.

This is just how I understand it with my limited basic biology and physics knowledge.

5. I've hacked that last thread to pieces. What it comes down to is that the HIIT burns more calories because it uses glycogen less effectively, so therefore, you have to use more to do the same work. Also, HIIT sets your body up for ketogenesis by depleting glycogen stores.
    •   

6. Quote Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
    I've hacked that last thread to pieces. What it comes down to is that the HIIT burns more calories because it uses glycogen less effectively, so therefore, you have to use more to do the same work. Also, HIIT sets your body up for ketogenesis by depleting glycogen stores.
    **More FAT calories. A lot of the time you will burn more overall calories if you were to run at a constant pace than in intervals.
    Athletic Xtreme Rep
    [email protected]
    IFFI
    Ask me about the Athletic Xtreme Product Line

7. Quote Originally Posted by Beebs View Post
    I've hacked that last thread to pieces. What it comes down to is that the HIIT burns more calories because it uses glycogen less effectively, so therefore, you have to use more to do the same work. Also, HIIT sets your body up for ketogenesis by depleting glycogen stores.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Bastardized HIIT Training - LOL
    By Whacked in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM
  2. help with my hiit training
    By bi0hazurd in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 03:18 PM
  3. hiit training??
    By figgs0798 in forum Weight Loss