Starting cutting cycle

joeyg

Awards
A year ago, I weighed ~210, and I was jacked. Fast forward a year later. Working 15-18 hours/day (investment bank), completely torn ligament in right elbow (grappling), sinus surgery, and snacking on crap in the office have left me at the same weight but with half the muscle and twice the fat. Whereas I used to rep with 100 lb dumbbells for bench, 70 lbs dumbbells are what I can do now (my elbow gives out due to the torn ligament after a few reps). Blood pressure is high, I feel like sh_t all day, etc.

Anyhoo, I am giving work the big f_ck you and concentrating on getting back into shape. This is what my gameplan is: I eat 3-4 medium meals throughout the day and snack on nuts (almonds, peanuts, and cashews) throughout the day. I will also have one or two Muscle Milk shakes throughout the day. Elaborating on meals, today I had milk and cereal (low sugar ones) for breakfast, chicken caesar salad with boiled egg for lunch, and chicken kebabs for dinner. I try to nix carbs after about 5 PM. In terms of working out, I have started out slowly. My plan is to run around 10-15 miles/week (usually in the AM) and lift in the PM. Basic supplements are: (i) multivitamin, (ii) fish oil, (iii) CEE, (iv) BCAAs, (v) ALCAR. Other supplements include: (i) ALRI Tri-Lean system, (ii) and Jungle Warfare.

I am organizing my buddy's bachelor party on May 13 so need to get in shape before then. I hope losing 15 lbs of flab and adding back 5 lbs of muscle will be possible in this 2.5-month timeframe.

What say you experts?

J.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
A year ago, I weighed ~210, and I was jacked. Fast forward a year later. Working 15-18 hours/day (investment bank), completely torn ligament in right elbow (grappling), sinus surgery, and snacking on crap in the office have left me at the same weight but with half the muscle and twice the fat. Whereas I used to rep with 100 lb dumbbells for bench, 70 lbs dumbbells are what I can do now (my elbow gives out due to the torn ligament after a few reps). Blood pressure is high, I feel like sh_t all day, etc.

Anyhoo, I am giving work the big f_ck you and concentrating on getting back into shape. This is what my gameplan is: I eat 3-4 medium meals throughout the day and snack on nuts (almonds, peanuts, and cashews) throughout the day. I will also have one or two Muscle Milk shakes throughout the day. Elaborating on meals, today I had milk and cereal (low sugar ones) for breakfast, chicken caesar salad with boiled egg for lunch, and chicken kebabs for dinner. I try to nix carbs after about 5 PM. In terms of working out, I have started out slowly. My plan is to run around 10-15 miles/week (usually in the AM) and lift in the PM. Basic supplements are: (i) multivitamin, (ii) fish oil, (iii) CEE, (iv) BCAAs, (v) ALCAR. Other supplements include: (i) ALRI Tri-Lean system, (ii) and Jungle Warfare.

I am organizing my buddy's bachelor party on May 13 so need to get in shape before then. I hope losing 15 lbs of flab and adding back 5 lbs of muscle will be possible in this 2.5-month timeframe.

What say you experts?

J.
I think your plan looks great except a couple things. First, dump the muscle milk shakes immediately. IMO they don't have a place in a drastic cutting diet. They're just too calorie dense. Replace the shakes with whole foods as you should be consuming 5 meals at least anyhow. What are you taking post workout? Make sure you get a nice mixture of complex carbs and protein here especially after your strength training sessions. Other than those two things, it looks great. Good luck..

joeyg

Awards
Will nix the Muscle Milk. Can you recommend some RTD protein shakes that GNC would carry? There's a GNC a block away. I am at work quite a bit so can't really mix stuff. Also, I am drinking lots of black tea (English Breakfast) with Equal to sweeten. Is that okay? Thanks.

J.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
maybe amino vital? I know gnc sells that.