Getting Frustrated

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
Well I've been workin out for just over two years. When I started I was 290lbs...I've been down to 211 at my lowest over the summer, and I'm 233 right now. I have put on muscle to come up from my 211 to 233, but I did let the diet slip over Christmas a bit. Anyway, I have more fat than I'd like, and I'd really like to lose it by summer.

My diet is back in check as of Jan 1, and my training is spot on.

I'm currently running a cutting cycle with TRN and PheraPlex. I'm working out 6 days a week and doing cardio 7 days a week for 45 minutes each day. I don't usually train this much while off, but I want to do as much as possible on cycle. I sleep 7.5-8.5 hrs each night.

I just got Anabolic Pump Yesterday and have added that into my stack. I also upped my carb intake a little because of the AP.

My current diet is as follows:

Meal 1
1 cup egg white
.5 cup oats
1 scoop ON Whey
1.5 tbsp Natural PB
1 Grapefruit

Meal 2
1 can tuna
1 tbsp low fat mayo
10-12 almonds

Meal 3 (depending on if I'm at home or school)
I'll either have 2 scoops on whey and 18 almonds
or if at home, 6 egg white omelette with 1 whole egg
2oz ham, onions.

Meal 4 - Pre-workout
.75 cup oats
1.5 scoops ON Whey
1.5 tbsp natty PB

Meal 5 - Post workout
.75 cup oats
.5 cup egg white
1.5 scoop ON Whey

Meal 6
1 cup fat free cottage cheese
1.5 tbsp natty PB
1 tbsp sugarless jam

I take AP before meals 1, 4, and 5.

Now, I'm getting stronger on this stack, but I'm not losing fat at the pace I think I should. I'm getting frustrated with myself, as I feel I have everything in order.

Sorry for such a long post, but does anyone have any suggestions or changes I can make, to my diet, training etc, so I can see some fat loss again?

Thanks

Thaiclinch

Thaiclinch

Awards
Have you tried H.E.A.T. or DCP?? Im on DCP and AP right now Im 270lbs and cutting to about 255lbs. I am on a low carb diet but with the carbs that I do intake I pop my AP. and I take my DCP with my morning and evening cardio sessions. My morning cardio is a 20-30 min HIIT session on an ellip. with max target HRT around 80% of max and my evening cardio is a 45min-1hr ellip. session with DCP and keeping my max HRT at aroun 65% of Max HRT. It seems to be working well, my diet mainly consists of Broccoli and Chicken breast and Whey Isolate shakes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are training that much, then you need more carbs than you are currently consuming. USP has said that it is best to take AP with about 60g low GI carbs.

Thaiclinch

Thaiclinch

Awards
And thats exactly where I stay w/ AP is at 60g carbs after each dose of AP

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
Alright, I'll definitely up my carbs to 60 grams with my servings of AP.

I don't want to add any more supps at this point, because money is tight.

For my breakfast consisting of the oats and grapefruit, should I count the carbs from the grapefruit towards the 60 grams, or just try and get 60 grams for the oats??

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Probably training so much is wearing you down both mentally and physically. The first signs I get when this happens is exactly what you posted. Plus if you lose it a more of a controlled pace you're most likely going to be able to keep it off. This is from my personal experience. The faster I lost weight the faster my body seemed to want to recover to the heavier weight.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you're following that to the T, I've gotta give you props bro, that's true dedication right there.

Don't be afraid to tone it down a bit, and give your body time to lose the fat. I've had the most success training weights 4 to 5 days a week and cardio (45-minutes to an hour) 3-4 days a week.

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
I think you guys are right, I got too excited and wanted things too fast, and in turn am probably doing more than needed. I think turning it down a notch would be the best idea.

Anymore input is always appreciated, thanks so far guys.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I think you guys are right, I got too excited and wanted things too fast, and in turn am probably doing more than needed. I think turning it down a notch would be the best idea.

Anymore input is always appreciated, thanks so far guys.
These guys are right bro. Your overtraining. Your rest is just as important as working out. Tone it down a bit and you'll be fine..

NDjets78

Awards
I always like to give my body one solid day of rest during the week (usually Sunday) where i do no cardio, no weights.

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
I always like to give my body one solid day of rest during the week (usually Sunday) where i do no cardio, no weights.
Just did that today actually.

It felt nice not to have to do anything. My body needed it for sure.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A little more information would be of use to determine exactly why you're not losing fat at the pace you'd like. That being said, at what rate are you losing fat, and how are you tracking your progress? Do you use calipers, scale weight, tape measure, etc.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you perform and type of refeeds/carb meals/cheat meals etc. Over time when dieting, your metabolism will slow down, which can be counteracted to a great degree by intelligently adding refeed days/meals as you go. Has fatloss been slow right throughout your cycle, or has it slowed in recent days/weeks? If it's just begun to slow, you may need to drop calories by a slight amount to get things going again. Keep your protein intake steady, but drop a slight amount of calories from either fat or carbs, more likely fat in your case since your utilizing AP. What is your current daily calorie intake?

I have to agree with the comments about your amount of exercise. If calorie restricted, you may be better off lifting less days during the week, say 4 or 5 tops. If you've been doing 45 minutes of cardio every day for the past six weeks, plus 6 days a week of lifting, you are likely going to burnout at some point. With cardio you are better off starting with shorter cardio sessions, and increasing their duration after fatloss starts to stall out. A week off from the gym might be a good idea at some point, to allow yourself to recuperate.

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
A little more information would be of use to determine exactly why you're not losing fat at the pace you'd like. That being said, at what rate are you losing fat, and how are you tracking your progress? Do you use calipers, scale weight, tape measure, etc.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you perform and type of refeeds/carb meals/cheat meals etc. Over time when dieting, your metabolism will slow down, which can be counteracted to a great degree by intelligently adding refeed days/meals as you go. Has fatloss been slow right throughout your cycle, or has it slowed in recent days/weeks? If it's just begun to slow, you may need to drop calories by a slight amount to get things going again. Keep your protein intake steady, but drop a slight amount of calories from either fat or carbs, more likely fat in your case since your utilizing AP. What is your current daily calorie intake?

I have to agree with the comments about your amount of exercise. If calorie restricted, you may be better off lifting less days during the week, say 4 or 5 tops. If you've been doing 45 minutes of cardio every day for the past six weeks, plus 6 days a week of lifting, you are likely going to burnout at some point. With cardio you are better off starting with shorter cardio sessions, and increasing their duration after fatloss starts to stall out. A week off from the gym might be a good idea at some point, to allow yourself to recuperate.

To track my progress I've been using calipers, and scale weight as a secondary, I havn't been relying too much on scale weight though, as I can easily add weight with phera, from water and muscle. My diet is quite clean except I do allow myself 2 cheat meals per week. My fat loss was alright at the first 2 weeks of the cycle, but seemed to have slowed down now.

I eat 2700 calories a day give or take 50. I cut my cardio down last week, and only did 5 sessions, only two of those were 45 mins, the other three were 30, 30 and 20. This week I'm going to try 4 sessions of 30 mins each because I don't want to burn out like you guys mentioned. I do plan on taking a week off the gym, but not while on cycle, as I want to get the most out of this cycle.

Last week I did notice my shoulders looked bigger and I could see some more definition. I think I may have been too fixed on starring at my stomach area in the mirror and may have not paid attention to fat loss in the shoulder and arm area.

The advice so far, has been great, keep it coming guys, thanks a lot.

designgray

designgray

Awards
There are a lot of good replies here . . . .
One question though. I am stuck on what you said Diesel in your original post - "Cutting" and "PheraPlex" do not belong in the same sentence ( IMO )

Maybe I am the exception, but Phera puts on the MAD WATER WEIGHT .
I got strong and put on size - yes ; but to me the water retention was crazy.

Diesel, I'm just worried you may be checking the mirror and getting the wrong idea about your true progress.

Word ?

DieselPump

DieselPump

Awards
There are a lot of good replies here . . . .
One question though. I am stuck on what you said Diesel in your original post - "Cutting" and "PheraPlex" do not belong in the same sentence ( IMO )

Maybe I am the exception, but Phera puts on the MAD WATER WEIGHT .
I got strong and put on size - yes ; but to me the water retention was crazy.

Diesel, I'm just worried you may be checking the mirror and getting the wrong idea about your true progress.

Word ?
Word!
I realized that last week, I know phera makes me hold a lot of water as well, I knew this was gonna be the case, but actually pushed this knowledge to the back of my mind and didn't even consider this when I thought I wasn't seeing results. I can clearly tell I'm holding water. I think things are going better than I thought, and I'll gauge my true progress after the cycle is over and I lose the water.

And you are right, there are a lot of great replies in this thread, and thanks for yours.

mbunnell

mbunnell

Awards
If your wanting to lose weight I would say put the weights on hold for a while and just concentrate on losing weight. Worry about getting strong after you lost the weight you want. Trying jogging and jump roping a 4-5 days a week and rest the other 2. You would also be able to lower you calorie intake if your not training so dang hard which will also help with the weight loss. Drink a low carb shake prior to bed too just to keep your metabolism running throughout the whole night. Good luck.