Keto Question

MikeBU

Developing Meathead
Awards
On a CKD diet is it OK to have a glass of gatorade which has about 14g of carbs about 30 min before I go to the gym?

Hoenlere

Awards
I'm sure there are some people who could do it, but it would bring me out of ketosis in a second.

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
lol, I like the disagreement there. I would say yes, considering that you will most likely use that glucose while working out I think. Depends also, some people get thrown out easier than others.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes. It takes much more than 14g to knock you out.

Hoenlere

Awards
Not in my experience bobo.. maybe w/ a meal of fat and protein, but 14 liquid grams on a relatively empty stomach like that has brought me out.

I think everyone's just different.

chi_town

Keto Jedi / HomeBrew Advocate
Awards
Not in my experience bobo.. maybe w/ a meal of fat and protein, but 14 liquid grams on a relatively empty stomach like that has brought me out.

Sorry to hear abou that.

I would never train (lift) on a relatively MT stomach, but then again......I am in no huirry to lose muscle I worked so hard to get. :cool:

14 grams pre-WO is nothing........It's basically a mini TKD with that amount of carbs. I personally would skip the Pre_WO carbs and make sure I have a meal within 1-2 hrs of training and do a normal CKD with proper post Wo nutirition.
Save the carbs for Post WO, especially if you fall out of ketosis so easily.

PEACE

Hoenlere

Awards
Dunno why, but I always seem to lift better when I haven't eaten for a few hours... 2 is probably the closest I want anything other than a little bit of protein. Maybe my stomach is just too sensitive. :(

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

If your using keto stix to determine that, its not accurate at all. Being in ketosis takes 12-48 hours to get into because its shift from glucose to ketone as an energy substrate. Its takes much more than 14g of carbs to reverse the physiological shift. There is a reason why some get back into ketosis quick after a refeed than normal. Most people never fully come out even after 24-48 hours of refeeding. Just because your not into heavy ketosis doesn't mean your bodies energy substrate has shifted back to glucose for its primary requirements.

Hoenlere

Awards
Interesting.. I didn't think the keto stix worked that quickly.. I was just assuming by feel.. when I'm in ketosis I never have that low blood sugar feeling i have when I'm not, and 14g of carb on an empty stomach like that would give me that feeling. Not very scientific, but all I had to go on :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nope. Its just understanding the the body won't physiologically shift with such a small amount in that short of time. With 14g of carbs the preference would be to fill muscle glycogen first anywayso the need to change energy substrates isn't there.

THe reason you feel "groggy" is because your not giving it the fuel it wants, FAT. I feel awful when I carb up. Very lethargic.

Rhapsody

Awards

If your using keto stix to determine that, its not accurate at all. Being in ketosis takes 12-48 hours to get into because its shift from glucose to ketone as an energy substrate. Its takes much more than 14g of carbs to reverse the physiological shift. There is a reason why some get back into ketosis quick after a refeed than normal. Most people never fully come out even after 24-48 hours of refeeding. Just because your not into heavy ketosis doesn't mean your bodies energy substrate has shifted back to glucose for its primary requirements.

And to add to this statement..........

For reasons unknown , sometimes the keto stick may give you a false reading. For instance, some people have found that when they tested their urine first thing in the morning.....the keto stick showed they where not in ketosis even though the night before they where in ketosis and had not cheated. Then they tested their urine around noon or later.......the keto stick showed they where, in fact, in ketosis. So , if at some time, the keto stick doens't show what you think it should......don't become discouraged and cheat........just wait 4-6 hours and retest.

Recommended by Lyle McDonald.

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
IMO if you are not sure about drinking it or not why drink it?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Anabolics 10
Weight Loss 4
Anabolics 5
Fat2fit2017 Weight Loss 9
jp21590 Weight Loss 7