Over training with cardio?

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
I added 2 to 3 days of 10-15 minutes of HIIT to my HST routine to help keep my gut under control and I’m exhausted, I feel over trained. This has happened in the past when I have tried to lift and run or do some cardio. I’m 33 6’1” 180 pounds. I’ve been averaging around 3,100 calories 39% carbs, 39% fats mostly good fats, olive oil and walnut oil and 22% protein. About 9 months ago I bulked from 150 to 183 but obviously it wasn’t all muscle and I need to cut a little or recomp before I bulk again, my stomach is too fat, but I feel tired and really beat after two weeks. Should I add more calories? Change my diet less fat and more protein?

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I added 2 to 3 days of 10-15 minutes of HIIT to my HST routine to help keep my gut under control and I’m exhausted, I feel over trained. This has happened in the past when I have tried to lift and run or do some cardio. I’m 33 6’1” 180 pounds. I’ve been averaging around 3,100 calories 39% carbs, 39% fats mostly good fats, olive oil and walnut oil and 22% protein. About 9 months ago I bulked from 150 to 183 but obviously it wasn’t all muscle and I need to cut a little or recomp before I bulk again, my stomach is too fat, but I feel tired and really beat after two weeks. Should I add more calories? Change my diet less fat and more protein?
There is no way that amount of cardio should overtrain you unless you are an extreme hardgainer. I do cardio everyday for AT LEAST 30 minutes with no problems (med.-high intensity) but if your genetics so dictate, you may need to lower the intensity a bit and just perform the cardio for a longer duration. Either that or eat less food. It basically all comes down to energy expenditure v. energy intake; HIIT cardio is just a more efficient way to burn the calories faster. I know HIIT may burn more calories after it's performed than low intensity cardio but if it's overtraining you it's a moot point.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
There is no way that amount of cardio should overtrain you unless you are an extreme hardgainer. I do cardio everyday for AT LEAST 30 minutes with no problems (med.-high intensity) but if your genetics so dictate, you may need to lower the intensity a bit and just perform the cardio for a longer duration. Either that or eat less food. It basically all comes down to energy expenditure v. energy intake; HIIT cardio is just a more efficient way to burn the calories faster. I know HIIT may burn more calories after it's performed than low intensity cardio but if it's overtraining you it's a moot point.

I would say I'm a hard gainer, the only way I gain is too eat my ass off and put on a good amount of fat at the same time.

supersize77

supersize77

Awards
  • Established
I would say I'm a hard gainer, the only way I gain is too eat my ass off and put on a good amount of fat at the same time.
My advice would be to either A) eat your ass off and perform a hardgainer style routine (low volume/frequency) along with moderate to low intensity cardio at least 5-6 days per week, or B) same as "A)" except instead of eating your ass off I would log my food intake (fitday) establish a baseline caloric intake and then eat slightly above that to add lean mass. As long as you can maintain the discipline, the second choice is definitely the way to go in my opinion.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
My advice would be to either A) eat your ass off and perform a hardgainer style routine (low volume/frequency) along with moderate to low intensity cardio at least 5-6 days per week, or B) same as "A)" except instead of eating your ass off I would log my food intake (fitday) establish a baseline caloric intake and then eat slightly above that to add lean mass. As long as you can maintain the discipline, the second choice is definitely the way to go in my opinion.
I'm use fitday I ate more yesterday and I feel better today. You have a good idea I will eat slightly above maintenance with moderate cardio until my gut is better then, bump up my calories slightly to add lean mass.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Awhile back I was pushing the weights heavy to failure and doing HIT sprints (full speed + full incline) to failure and it burned me out. How are your results so far on those calories? If your fat loss progress is good maybe take a couple days off and then back off a bit on the intensity for weights and/or cardio.

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
Awhile back I was pushing the weights heavy to failure and doing HIT sprints (full speed + full incline) to failure and it burned me out. How are your results so far on those calories? If your fat loss progress is good maybe take a couple days off and then back off a bit on the intensity for weights and/or cardio.
I feel a lot better with more calories and less HIIT. I see how I feel for the next week, good so far.

Spiral_

Awards
I don't believe in overtraining. I lost the most weight loading trucks for 6-7 hours in 100+ degree weather (quickly might I add) with no breaks. I've never lost fat like that in my life...and being and endo I also amused myself by eating $10 worth of taco bell after my shift...it was insane 7 hours of being out of breathe. I dropped over 40lbs of fat in like 3 months but at the same time kept all of my strength. Just keep your protein high. I gained it back after quitting the job and moving to another state but lately i've taken on running as a hobby and hope to recreate the same effect and this time i'll have a hobby that I can keep for life.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
What does your diet look like badbart? Do you pay attention to the timing of your carbs and fats?

Workin

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
What does your diet look like badbart? Do you pay attention to the timing of your carbs and fats?

Workin
I upped my calories to just above maintenance and I feel good now. The only problem I'm having is sore knees and ankles. I've started stretching too see if that helps.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
I upped my calories to just above maintenance and I feel good now. The only problem I'm having is sore knees and ankles. I've started stretching too see if that helps.
If your doing a lot of running, your shoes may be the culpret...be sure you are wearing something with adequate support. I have many clients who have bad knees due to years of running with poor shoes.

One cheap and effective way to help with sore joints is 2 table spoons of Flax Oil per day. This will add a good amount of fat (healthy EFA's) to your diet so you would have to adjust accordingly if you decide to give it a shot.

Good luck!

Workin

badbart

badbart

Awards
  • Established
If your doing a lot of running, your shoes may be the culpret...be sure you are wearing something with adequate support. I have many clients who have bad knees due to years of running with poor shoes.

One cheap and effective way to help with sore joints is 2 table spoons of Flax Oil per day. This will add a good amount of fat (healthy EFA's) to your diet so you would have to adjust accordingly if you decide to give it a shot.

Good luck!

Workin
Grat idea I'll give that a try.