egg yolks

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
what you all do with you yolks? i feel like im spending money (even though its dumb cheap) for half of what i eat. who here goes for the carton egg whites? for every 5 egg whites, i have 1 whole egg. do you all chuck it or eat whole eggs or the carton...??

Bone

Awards
I eat the whole egg. Im not to worried about my cholesterol level.............. :D

Peace

Bone

Kay

Awards
i usually throw away about 2 for every 5 eggs. Whats the fun in eating eggs if there was no yellow!!!

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
its just that i try to eat clean as possible and aint worried to much about adding weight. just lean gains. so the saturated fats in the eggs are the problem for me. whateva though, its like a dime an egg aint it?

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Saturated fat

I eat the whole egg for the amino acid spectrum. Per yolk, there is only 1.5 grams saturated fat out of 4.5 total fat in the vegetarian fed eggs I use. From my view you can have quite a few whole eggs realizing that 2/3 of the fat is unsaturated. And clearly, some saturated fat is needed in the diet. Labelling all saturated fat as bad is inaccurate.

crazypete

Awards
yo, i eat, no i drink straight from the carton. here in the great white north they are available pastuerized and homogenized. just pop the top and bottoms up. sage, i wouldn't worry unless i was eating more than 6-10 or so eggs a day.

cheers, pete

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Re: Saturated fat

I eat the whole egg for the amino acid spectrum. Per yolk, there is only 1.5 grams saturated fat out of 4.5 total fat in the vegetarian fed eggs I use. From my view you can have quite a few whole eggs realizing that 2/3 of the fat is unsaturated. And clearly, some saturated fat is needed in the diet. Labelling all saturated fat as bad is inaccurate.
agreed...to a point. b/c for me, i usually have 6 + eggs a day, which would lead ot a good amount of saturated fats (even having said that only 1.2-2grams are saturated. im getting a lot of lean towards eating the whole egg and sounds good. I'll change it up a bit, having an even ratio of whole eggs to whites.

Dr of Golf

Awards
yo, i eat, no i drink straight from the carton. here in the great white north they are available pastuerized and homogenized. just pop the top and bottoms up.
cheers, pete

You Northerners REALLY are wild and crazy, aren't ya'? :D :D :D

shady

Awards
i don't worry about it. i eat around 10 eggs a day.

linedrive

Awards
i personally eat about 1 yolk for every 3 eggs. i feel a little cholesterol is needed

Kay

Awards
for anyone trying to get rid of the pain of cooking eggs -

for the longest time i could not eat raw eggs, but someone passed a good way to getting them down, so idecided that i try it, and to my surprise, it was fine, i had no problems

take 4 - 6 eggs, 1 scoop strawberry protein powder, and the rest milk in a large glass, shake, blend, stir, and chug !

it tastes good actually.... and you get a really good amino acid profile from the mixture. If anyone have any other good egg recipes, post them, coz i think we can all use some novel ways of consuming more eggs! :)

wardog

Awards
  • Established
I eat mine hard boiled, and only eat the whites, I give the yolks to my dogs, who love me very much for it..lol!. We all sit at the table and have breakfast together when Daddy has eggs. :D

Rhinoman

Awards
Originally posted by Kay
for anyone trying to get rid of the pain of cooking eggs -

for the longest time i could not eat raw eggs, but someone passed a good way to getting them down, so idecided that i try it, and to my surprise, it was fine, i had no problems

take 4 - 6 eggs, 1 scoop strawberry protein powder, and the rest milk in a large glass, shake, blend, stir, and chug !

it tastes good actually.... and you get a really good amino acid profile from the mixture. If anyone have any other good egg recipes, post them, coz i think we can all use some novel ways of consuming more eggs! :)

I have try mine with Grape Juice takes good.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
I eat 3 a day for breakfast, albumen protein isnt that appealing to me and while the amino acid profile is great, liver tabs suffice for the lack there of from eggs. Im not a big fan on eating a lot of eggs, not so much the effect it has on the HDL/LDL ratio, just the inconvience and (to me) the petty nutrional profile.

khafra

Awards
I eat a little of the yolk with the whites, just to make them more palatable, but I throw away most of it, or give it to my cats.

And then I go drink eggnog :rolleyes:

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by Kay

If anyone have any other good egg recipes, post them, coz i think we can all use some novel ways of consuming more eggs! :)
I got a good one..I use it all the time...

Take a cup...break 3-4 eggs into it....and CHUG. :)

yeah...the unbroken yolks feel weird going down, but hey.....deal with it. ;)

LG. :cool:

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
this my favorite way to eat eggs:

4 eggs (2 whole and 2 whites) cooked (scrambled or omellete style). put that between 2 toasted wheat bread (with smart balance or cant believe its not butter melted on the toast, spread with peanut butter and a packet of equal/spendla sprinkled on top. If you aint a big of sweetners, than cook your eggs with a slice of F.F. american cheese. Seriously, i put PB on everything.

khafra

Awards
LG, cleaning the raw egg spattered all over my kitchen would be too much cardio.  But that does bring to mind a question: I think I remember reading somewhere that something about the egg protein changes when you cook it.  I almost think it was supposed to get better, even though I'd instinctively assume it'd get worse. Anyone know?

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Originally posted by khafra
LG, cleaning the raw egg spattered all over my kitchen would be too much cardio.  But that does bring to mind a question: I think I remember reading somewhere that something about the egg protein changes when you cook it.  I almost think it was supposed to get better, even though I'd instinctively assume it'd get worse. Anyone know?
Proteins get denatured (unuseable) when exposed to heat, electricity or radiation....

but your body can still harvest the amino acids....so its all good :D

LG. :cool:

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Whats the fun in eating eggs if there was no yellow!!!

This sounds pretty weird, but a friend of mine had an internship at an insurance company over the summer. One day they went to a factory where they put eggs into cartons (one of the companies they insured).

Anyways, they noticed a bunch of workers walking around with yellow stained hands. Their tour guide said that the yellow hands were from dying the egg yolks. Believe it or not, he said that quite a while ago they changed the chicken feed (I think he said they went from corn to rice), and the yolks were no longer naturally yellow. Apparently they were afraid consumers wouldn't eat uncolored eggs. He didn't say exactly how they did it though. Pretty funny.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
one source stated the yolk's protein to be a little higher quality than the white. i have a lady at work sells organic farm fresh browns for a buck a dozen sweet!

uridium245

Awards
cholesterol

If I'm not correct... and that is always a posibility. I believe testosterone is formed from cholesterol. So I eat the yolk and all. :)

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
For me it's 1 yolk for evey 5 whites. I use a little Pam in the pan, cook them, and then lots of Tabasco sauce to jazz them up. On a rare occasion when I have the time, I'll throw in some cheese, onions and peppers, and shrooms.