target heart rate question

iwinulose2981

Awards
for most of my life ive been a non cardio person. nothing i cant stand more then cardio but wanting my 6 pack back this summer i know i have to bite the bullet and start my nightmare. my question is that whenever im on the ellipticle at a slow to moderate speed my heartrate leaps up to the low 170's (not sure if im that much out of shape or if the heartrate monitor is garbage). basically the only exercise i can do to keep my heartrate in my target of 135 is walking at a slow rate. i dont want to look good this summer but be out of breath by walking a flight of stairs or vice versa. is it still ok for me to keep doing my cardio if my heartrate is at 170 or will it keep me from burning fat alltogether? i know in a week or so it when my body becomes used to it i will see a drop in my heartrate but should i stay at the 170 or should i keep walking at 135 for now?

wrkn4bigrmusles

Awards
  • Established
have u tried other ways of checking ur heart rate instead of using the grips on the machines?

iwinulose2981

Awards
yeah i have a heart monitor which reads the same but its a cheap 1

Boris

Awards
To accurately know what the correct zone is, you need to know your resting heart rate and your maximum heart rate - people vary a lot and the standard formulae don't work well for everyone. To truly know your max heart rate you have to do a stress test:
Maximum Heart Rate Stress Tests

Then when you have that info you can work out what the aerobic zone is for you:
Heart Rate Training Zones

However if you haven't done much cardio work, a stress test could be dangerous. Another guide to whether you're in the right zone is whether you can maintain a conversation with someone while exercising - when your heart rate is in the 170s could you still keep talking to someone on the machine next to you?

iwinulose2981

Awards
im 5'11 198lbs 16%bf. no stims or burners and my last physical came back great with low blood pressure.

when it shows im in the 170s im still able to hold conversations. in addition i dont even break out in a major sweat till about 20-30 min into the session. and thats while wearing sweats. i have a feeling the sensors on the machine r messed up. my resting heart rate is 73bpm

SwordBurn

SwordBurn

Awards
  • Established
Resting HR: 73

Your maximum heart rate is: 194
Your maximum training heart rate is: 170
Your minimum training rate is: 146

Signs of dangerous heart rates:

- Light head
- Nausea or Vomiting

If you are not experiencing these symptoms but still have concerns, see your doctor. And while you are there ask for a bloodtest for your CHOLESTEROL.

Don't trust machine readings? Try this.

How Do I Take My Pulse?

1. Place the tips of your index (second finger) and third finger on the palm side of your other wrist, below the base of the thumb. Or, place the tips of your index and second finger on your lower neck, on either side of your windpipe.

2. Press lightly with your fingers until you feel the blood pulsing beneath your fingers. You may need to move your fingers around slightly up or down until you feel the pulsing.

3. Look at a watch or clock with a second hand.

4. Count the beats you feel for 10 seconds. Multiply this number by 6 to get your heart rate (pulse) per minute.

Check your pulse: ______________ x 6 = __________

(beats in 10 seconds) (your pulse)

Boris

Awards
when it shows im in the 170s im still able to hold conversations. in addition i dont even break out in a major sweat till about 20-30 min into the session. and thats while wearing sweats. i have a feeling the sensors on the machine r messed up. my resting heart rate is 73bpm
You may well just have a naturally high heart rate. If your max were 205, then the middle of the aerobic zone would be:
73 + (205-73) x 0.75 = 172. It's entirely possible that your max heart rate is this high if you can hold a conversation at 170, I've heard of some people having max heart rates as high as 220+.