Can you be "cutting" and not lose muscle?

Can you be "cutting" and not lose muscle?

• yes

Votes: 213 68.3%
  • no

Votes: 99 31.7%

• Total voters

massarmor

Awards
Can you be "cutting" (as opposed to bulking), and not lose muscle?

or will you always lose at least a little muscle while you cut?

and if it is possible to cut and not lose muscle, how would you do it?

nvr2loud

nvr2loud

Awards
  • Established
I started cutting about 12 weeks ago, and I am actually up 5lbs in weight and down 3% in bodyfat than when I first started cutting. I was 215 @ 13% bodyfat(measured with caliper) and currently at 220 @ 10% body fat. So I say it possible based on experience. I actually added lean muscle mass to my frame while losing body fat during this cutting phase that I am on right now. I will stay on this for another 5 weeks, then I will start to bulk again.
I beleive some muscle may be lossed while cutting, but that is what everyone trys to prevent during those phases. I liked to mega dose Glutamine and BCAA's while cutting to help spare muscle loss.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
with gear its entirely possible

without gear it is also possible, just far more difficult .. there's no set answer either .. it depends on the individual, his sensitivity to carbs, how his body processes fat, his metabolism ... the short answer though is a very good, well thought out diet with proper nutrient ratios and timing

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Knowing your body becomes extremely important while cutting. It is possible to lose fat and not lose muscle while cutting, but you must be very careful and know how to monitor your body. During cutting, I am a big believer in using lots of BCAAs throughout the day and also using supps that focus on nutrient repartioning.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Just be very good with your diet, training, and nutrition. I've had solid success with creatine, HMB, & BCAA's but Tren & Anavar work much better :D

massarmor

Awards
What is HMB, BCAA, and Glutamine?

So how do I "know thyself."

What kind of experiements have you done to know your body better?

ZoMbSta

Awards
What is the protocol for dosing BCAA during a cut? Like what kind of dosaging do you guys follow?

CHAPS

Awards
  • Established
I know my opinion will come off as biased but Anabolic Pump and Cialabol have both enabled me to drop bodyfat AND gain muscle naturally at a very impressive rate. For gear, Tren kicks ass at recomposition.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What is HMB, BCAA, and Glutamine?

What kind of experiements have you done to know your body better?[/QUOTE]

Dude, you just...Well you don't wanna know..

stxnas

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You need to heed the advice of what has been said by logging ALL of your caloric intake. When I did this I used FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal .

Keep track of your macro nutrient ratios. Most say that a 40/40/20 split of carbs/protein/fat is a good starting point. You'll want to figure out your BMR/daily caloric maintenance and every other week or so add an extra 250 - 500 calories per day to that number until you find the point where you are gaining fat (then go back down to the previous number of calories before upping to that number). This is not a process that you will figure out over night rather you will have play around with it for a while to target your own needs. There's info all over this board about this stuff and it might be overwhelming at frist, but it's well worth all of the reading.

EDIT: Some threads to get you started:
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/56049-nutrition-dummies.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/nutrition-health/45963-caloric-intake.html
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/weight-loss/48470-need-help-determining.html

SoMdHunter

SoMdHunter

Awards
  • Established
I'll profess I don't know much about cutting since I have a tough time keeping my weight up, but to me, if you are loosing fat and gaining muscle and weight at the same time, you aren't cutting. Seems to me that would qualify as bulking, or even a "re-comp" but certainly not cutting.

Given the question, the answer is supposed to be a yes or no. But as stated before, the answer isn't that simple. Define "cutting" and it is easier to answer.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
What kind of experiements have you done to know your body better?
Trail and error mostly. For almost everyone, it is about insulin management. You go through cycles of cutting or bulking modifying variables (bar weight, volume, time under tension, amount of Kcals, macronutrient breakdown, amount of CHO, PRO and FAT, when to eat what forms of CHO and FAT, amount of cardio, intensity of cardio, etc.) Make observations and record for future reference so you'll have some idea of what to alter and what to hold stable during the next iteration.

drommon

Awards
Knowing your body becomes extremely important while cutting. It is possible to lose fat and not lose muscle while cutting, but you must be very careful and know how to monitor your body. During cutting, I am a big believer in using lots of BCAAs throughout the day and also using supps that focus on nutrient repartioning.
What are some supplements that aid in nutrient repartitioning?

Thanks!

IronMarc

Awards
I know that Gunther said in an article that because of his metabolism he actually has to eat more pre-contest to get to his contest size, so he loses bf while putting on muscle.

Cardinal

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The fatter you are and the less muscle you hold to start with, the easier it will be for you to cut and not lose muscle. As a good rule of thumb if you are well above your bodyfat setpoint and below your genetic limit for holding muscle, you will probably have a pretty easy time dieting without losing muscle. Just follow a sensible moderate diet and training regimen allowing for plenty of recovery.

Once you get pretty lean, I find that cyclical carb diets are almost necessary to keep from losing muscle. Something like a good UD 2.0 or another diet that does a good job at integrating training with diet would work well.

With androgens, the risk of muscle loss is reduced dramatically.

nattyHST

Awards
I find an HST routine the best solution for keeping muscle while cutting. The frequency helps to cut more cals and remind your body that you need that lbm!

MadMas

Work Horse
Awards
yes. but youll have to do it very slow.

bite the bullet, lose a bit of muscle and shred up fast.

massarmor

Awards
what is a HST routine?

dlew308 - yes, but you have to be at the beginning stages of bodybuilding usually. If you're already really close to being cut and you have a lot of muscle, I think it's very difficult.

cardinal - what is a cyclical carb diet?

Beebs

Awards
I can't but others can, so I said yes. If I stop eating as much I'll lose fat and muscle at the almost the same rate. I've tried a varity of supplements and methods, but the best results come from recomping. I just eat maintenence while training just as hard.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Anabolic Armageddon Stack feedback is showing many people gaining muscle while losing fat.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
can u cut and still gain muscle?
Yes, one can do it naturally with tha right nutrient partitioning agents so long as you haven't too far exceeded your genetic potential. Tha slower you cut, tha more muscle you'll retain as well.

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I can't really tell where I'm at...I'm trying to cut, I reduced calories to 2000. If I eat less then that, I feel crappy and have no energy. My weight has stayed at 198 for 3 weeks now, which is fine. I'm more concerned with bodyfat values. I'm still gaining in strength and noticed muscles that I never had before (back area/shoudlers/some more in arms). Does it seem I'm going the right path?

Yes, one can do it naturally with tha right nutrient partitioning agents so long as you haven't too far exceeded your genetic potential. Tha slower you cut, tha more muscle you'll retain as well.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
I can't really tell where I'm at...I'm trying to cut, I reduced calories to 2000. If I eat less then that, I feel crappy and have no energy. My weight has stayed at 198 for 3 weeks now, which is fine. I'm more concerned with bodyfat values. I'm still gaining in strength and noticed muscles that I never had before (back area/shoudlers/some more in arms). Does it seem I'm going the right path?
Yes, that sounds about right. I would try and shoot for a lb. every two weeks just to insure that infact you are still losing... unless you are very accurate with your calipers.

workin2005

workin2005

NIMBUS NUTRITION Co Founder
Awards
  • Established
Experiment with your carb intake as well. I find eating most of my daily carb intake prior to 5 pm works well...after that it's just protein and fat. I would also adjust your carb intake on non workout days...not your total calories mind you, just your total carbs. So you'll be replacing what you don't eat in carbs with protein and healthy fats.

Good luck,

Workin

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
thanks...
I'm now taking heartburn meds, would this affect my workout/diet?

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
thanks...
What are you taking? I'm honestly not sure...perhaps someone else can chime in...

Workin

Aeternitatis

Aeternitatis

Awards
  • Established
You know, I could easily plug X-Factor here since it seems to be the best total recomp supp out. But I'm not gonna do that (hahaha).

Yes, you can definitely cut without losing muscle. You can even cut while gaining muscle. It depends a lot on your level of athleticism and experience as well as what BF percent you're at. Taking it slow and being in only a slight deficit is one of teh best ways to do it. Keep cardio short and intense and keep the lifting heavy. Use of BCAA and creatine will also do a lot in terms of minimizing muscle loss.

taxidriver

taxidriver

Awards
Simple as this:

If you are cutting and u can maintain your training intensity and secure overload ure on the right path

Natural mode: maybe
Chemical mode : oh yes overload is guaranteed, that´s why i only become a junkie while on cutting.

live4fitness

live4fitness

Awards
thanks...
I am late here, I had reflux real bad took prevacid, I started dranking a teaspoon of vinager (with the mother in it) before 3 of my meals for ~ 1-2 weeks and my heartburn is gone. I do get a few flair ups every now and then but it really helped. i wanted off all meds. Hope this helps

dlew308

dlew308

Awards
  • Established
I am late here, I had reflux real bad took prevacid, I started dranking a teaspoon of vinager (with the mother in it) before 3 of my meals for ~ 1-2 weeks and my heartburn is gone. I do get a few flair ups every now and then but it really helped. i wanted off all meds. Hope this helps
Ok what's the mother in it?? :)

live4fitness

live4fitness

Awards
The mother means it has not been filtered. They haven't taken all the good stuff out. The health stores should know what you mean :)

alan aragon

alan aragon

Awards
Definitely possible for fat loss & muscle gain to happen simulatneously. It happens quickest in newbies (especially overfat newbies), slower in advanced guys closer to their potential.

Faith

Awards
Definitely possible for fat loss & muscle gain to happen simulatneously. It happens quickest in newbies (especially overfat newbies), slower in advanced guys closer to their potential.
It seems that i would fit the bill for an overfat newbie, and i am also looking to gain muscle and lose weight. But i dont know where to start, is it possible for you guys to lay out a workout routine and tell me what i should eat and when i should eat it? I am about 260 lbs 16 years old and around 5'9.

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
It seems that i would fit the bill for an overfat newbie, and i am also looking to gain muscle and lose weight. But i dont know where to start, is it possible for you guys to lay out a workout routine and tell me what i should eat and when i should eat it? I am about 260 lbs 16 years old and around 5'9.
What does your diet and exercise program look like currently?

Workin

Faith

Awards
Currently i have no diet or excercise plan, im not realy sure where to start on all of this, but im playing around with the idea of hiring bobo. I know that i should be eating around 6 meals a day, and some morning cardio, but im not sure what i should do for my cardio, and im also not sure on what i should do for my diet and lifting sessions. Thanks for your help.. i want to start chaning my life as soon as possible.. i just dont know where to get started.

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
Currently i have no diet or excercise plan, im not realy sure where to start on all of this, but im playing around with the idea of hiring bobo. I know that i should be eating around 6 meals a day, and some morning cardio, but im not sure what i should do for my cardio, and im also not sure on what i should do for my diet and lifting sessions. Thanks for your help.. i want to start chaning my life as soon as possible.. i just dont know where to get started.
Well welcome to AM, and I commend you for taking the initiative to ask for help. I think you will find most members here on AM to be a wealth of knowledge. Just be sure to let everyone know your age, as it will greatly effect the way people advise you. Bobo would be an excellent resource BTW ;)

Email me and I'd be happy to send you some diet tips and suggestions. Do you have access to a gym?

[email protected]

Workin

Faith

Awards
I am 16, i get my liscense march 31.. but have access to a total gym right now, i also plan on picking up a bench and some weights and what not. I think bobo is offering just what im looking for, im not sure if i can shell out 300 bucks for it right now though. I am so greatfull that you guys are willing to take the time to help my change my life.. it means alot to me now, but will mean alot more in a year.

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
The major factor is going to be "where you're starting from". If you're already pretty damn big, I'm betting you'll lose some muscle even if you do everything very well.

If you're not so big I'd be you can keep gaining slightly, and more than slightly with gear.

Quinc

Quinc

Awards
  • Established
How much bcass can i take during cardio to keep from loosing muscle but also keep burning fat for fuel and not the bcaas? any info on this?

x-factor worked great for me. i lost 2% bodyfat and gained 6 pounds in 5weeks. joints hurt like hell though...

Faith

Awards
im 260 pounds of fat basicly.. ive never lifted seriously until i read just how easy it is going to be for me to lose weight and then add muscle.

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
How much bcass can i take during cardio to keep from loosing muscle but also keep burning fat for fuel and not the bcaas? any info on this?

x-factor worked great for me. i lost 2% bodyfat and gained 6 pounds in 5weeks. joints hurt like hell though...
I usually take about 10-15 grams prior to and then another 10 grams during weight training.

Workin

neoborn

neoborn

Awards
  • Established
im 260 pounds of fat basicly.. ive never lifted seriously until i read just how easy it is going to be for me to lose weight and then add muscle.
I just want to add that do not get disheartened or stop, after you start. Time is key. Working out to the best of your ability evertime you work out while trying to push yourself a little further.

1. Eat six healthy lean meals - protein and complex carbs.

2. Remove all junk from your diet except one weekly cheat meal ( or if you are really really craving something )

3. Get 8hrs of rest.

4. Do HIIT cardio on your non workout days.

5. Do 15 minutes of walk / jog / run post workout.

6. Most importantly - Don't give up.

....just some tips. It's easy to feel disheartened and give up, the only way you fail is if you give up!!!

Vicarious

Vicarious

Awards
  • Established
ive never lifted seriously until i read just how easy it is going to be for me to lose weight and then add muscle.
Good god!!! where did you read that!?!?! I need it NOW!

you can actually pick up some "cheat foods" that are pretty good for you too...:think: hmmmmmm.....i remember something about cookies and pudding. anyone care to chime in?:stick:

jrob24

Awards
i cut down from 22% bf all the was to 13 just taking superdrol, and i was trying to bulk, my diet consists of mad eating, granted it was all high protein and low fat, but i didnt even do cardio once, i was just trying to put on muscle...so with the right supps its def possible

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
Well just my personal findings. I have returned to triathlon training. I have to maintain 200lbs as that is the weight class I am in.

I have gone from 200lbs with 35.5" waist to a 33.5" waist STILL at 200lbs

I am MUCH leaner than I was just a couple months ago. Wedding ring falls off, the veins in my legs especially calves are sick lol So I definitely have maintained the muscle, even GAINED muscle and lost the fat. Arm size is the same or slightly larger

I attribute maintaining the muscle and keeping the fat to my good eating, my workouts AND to EC, LOTS of Excell(BCAAs), LOTS of protein and Poseidon. Infact I drink at least half my meals. That is it. NO other supplements except an occaissional REM if I only have a few hours to sleep.

I know many people say if you do too much cardio will cause you to lose muscle. I am NOT advocating tons of cardio just saying this is not the case for me if I MEGA DOSE BCAAs and protein as I am not losing muscle but am losing fat.

here is my weekly workouts

Biking 150miles a week ALOT of it is VERY high level intervals

3 miles swimming

13 miles running in addition to weight lifting.

And I am CERTAINLY no spring chicken as I have a grandson :)

CROWLER

workin2005

workin2005

Awards
  • Established
Good god!!! where did you read that!?!?! I need it NOW!

you can actually pick up some "cheat foods" that are pretty good for you too...:think: hmmmmmm.....i remember something about cookies and pudding. anyone care to chime in?:stick:
Here ya go! :thumbsup:

Performance Pudding:
Nimbus Nutrition

Nite-Time Performance Pudding:
Bodybuilding.com - Nimbus Nutrition Product Listing - On Sale! Lowest Prices For Nimbus Nutrition!

Healthy Cheat Foods:
Healthy Cheat Foods

Hope this helps! :woohoo:

Workin

live4fitness

live4fitness

Awards
i cut down from 22% bf all the was to 13 just taking superdrol, and i was trying to bulk, my diet consists of mad eating, granted it was all high protein and low fat, but i didnt even do cardio once, i was just trying to put on muscle...so with the right supps its def possible
Who sells superdrol found hyperdrol